Help! IFSMGR VXD related blue screen at startup.

Help! IFSMGR VXD related blue screen at startup.

Post by The Lifeless O » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

This is weird enough.
At about every second time (maybe a little more seldom though) I start
up Win98 it suddenly, in the middle of booting (after loading the
desktop image), throws me into a blue screen with the following
message:

"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0028:C0033A92 in VXD IFSMGR(01)
+ 000009A2. The current application will be terminated."

And then there's the any key/ctrl+alt+del prompt.

Sometimes, if I press any key, it continues to load and may throw in
an error message about rundll32.exe, can't remember what though. This
has sometimes appeared on its own, as well, but I think it would not
appear if the IFSMGR error would not.

Just what the hell is going on? I'm running a Celeron 300A on an Abit
BH6 with Win98 on a 840 meg FAT drive as master, with a slave 6.4 gig
FAT32 drive. 64 megs of memory, no network card, Hercules Dynamite
128, Pure3D, Gravis Ultrasound Extreme (not installed though, uses ESS
mode), a standard v.34 modem.

In my startup menu I have Quarterdeck's Smart Sweep / Internet Sweep,
an utility for making icon text backgrounds transparent and
WordPerfect 7's PerfectPrint.

I have no idea why this problem only occurs in about 50% of the cases.

PLEASE help me if you can in any way.

Help! IFSMGR VXD related blue screen at startup.

Post by The Lifeless O » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Someone asked me for a followup on the issue if I manage to solve it,
so here goes:

Okay, seems that I have to let go of my principle of "not liking it
when software modifies my config.sys without telling me".

It's pretty much the reason why I had the problem in the first place.
I removed IFSHLP.SYS and DBLBUFF.SYS, without spesifically knowing
what they do, considering that I had never before needed such drivers
while using Win95. I just erased them simultaneously with the
completely unnecessary and useless MODE commands (who uses them
anyway? I've fiddled around with numerous computers and removing these
hasn't had any effects on anything). So, when I got around to
realizing that it was something of an FS problem (the error being
about IFSMGR and all), I decided to put them back in. Presto. Works
fine now...

To the requester: see that you have these in your config.sys,
DBLBUFF.SYS only if needed (Win98 puts it there if it decides you need
it). It probably wouldn't hurt to have the line "DoubleBuffer=1" in
your MSDOS.SYS, either.

Help! IFSMGR VXD related blue screen at startup.

Post by The Lifeless O » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Ack, so the reply got out of the thread.
The subject is the IFSMGR blue screen that someone asked me about.

[...]

1. BLUE SCREEN..BLUE SCREEN...BLUE SCREEN..BLUE SCREEN..BLUE SCREEN!

I keep getting a blue screen this is what I get..Any help........PLEASE
HELP!

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0081e440, 0x00000002, 0x00000001,
0x804f6521).
A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS2\Minidump\Mini050702-01.dmp.

For
more information, see Help and Support Center at

2. Class interfaces in eVC++

3. Q: Meaning of fatal exception VxD VTDAPI(01) VxD IFSMGR(01)

4. Disabling certain LAN components

5. VDX IFSMGR blue screen

6. MCSE training

7. IFSMGR Error- "blue screen o'death"

8. mean of stream and frame in AVI file

9. Help: Invalid VXD: IFSMGR on W95 Start

10. Help: blue screen on startup and reboot

11. IRQ related blue screen error on XP Corporate?

12. Sound related blue screens...

13. blue screen at startup - help with tech code?