Win95 - system.dat & user.dat files

Post by fishhe » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I recently loaded the resource kit for Win95 and in reading the help files
regarding the registry settings it said that the regedit either reads or
writes info from/to the system.dat and the user.dat files. These files are
nowhere to be found on my system although all seems to be operating just fine.
What does this mean, and how can I create these files?

Thanks alot:)

Ken Sturgeon

Post by Gordon McAndr » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

;>I recently loaded the resource kit for Win95 and in reading the help
files
;>regarding the registry settings it said that the regedit either reads or
;>writes info from/to the system.dat and the user.dat files. These files
are
;>nowhere to be found on my system although all seems to be operating just
fine.
;>What does this mean, and how can I create these files?

;>Thanks alot:)

;>Ken Sturgeon

Don't worry they are there.  You probably haven't got Explorer configured
to see all the files on your drive.  Just to prove that they are there
start up the MS-DOS prompt and then type "attrib *.dat"

You should also have two user.* files under your profile folder if you use
profiles.

Gordon McAndrew
LAN Manager
Alberta Environmental Centre
Alberta Canada

Post by Timothy M. Adam » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I recently loaded the resource kit for Win95 and in reading the help files
>regarding the registry settings it said that the regedit either reads or
>writes info from/to the system.dat and the user.dat files. These files are
>nowhere to be found on my system although all seems to be operating just

fine.
[[[SNIP]]]

If you can't find them, you probably don't want to go messing with them!

Try this from a DOS Prompt:

dir c:\ /ar /as /ah

This, of course, assumes that C: is your boot drive... If not, substitute the
correct letter for "C"

Tim

/*---------------------------------------------------------------*\
|               First Law of Computer Programming:                |
|           Any given program, when running is obsolete.          |
|+---------------------------------------------------------------+|

\*---------------------------------------------------------------*/

The content of my posts and/or E-Mail DOES NOT, in any way, reflect
or represent the views and/or opinions of Simulation Sciences, Inc.
 All opinions and views given are my own and will stay that way...

Post by Inge Stubd » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>You should also have two user.* files under your profile folder if you use
>profiles.

I have encountered an interesting problem. I've set up a computer with
profiles, one for users and one for administrators, which have their
profiles in the profiles directory.

When logging on, you will get one of these if you provide the correct
username+password. If not, you get the 'default' profile...

The problem is that if you consitently write the wrong name/password,
especially,. it seems, after the administrator has logged in and
out... You can get the administrator profile, somehow bypassing the
security.

Is this a bug in Windows95? Is it just an error in my setup??

It seems to be connected somehow to the existence of etwork drivers on
the system, although I haven't confirmed this yet.

No network drivers - security seems ok
network drivers - security seems sloppy

Help!

-Inge

Win95 - system.dat & user.dat files

Post by Timothy M. Adam » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm not sure if this is the cause or not but I am aware of a SERIOUS bug with
the peer-to-peer networking.

Apparently (I've read this in several magazines, but haven't verified it) if a
user shares any drive on his machine, you can then have access to his root
drive. Simply map to 'C$' (not quotes, of course) and you'll have root access
to the drive.

Maybe this could be related in some off the wall way?

Tim
--

/*---------------------------------------------------------------*\

Post by Brad Schue » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I recently loaded the resource kit for Win95 and in reading the help files
>regarding the registry settings it said that the regedit either reads or
>writes info from/to the system.dat and the user.dat files. These files are
>nowhere to be found on my system although all seems to be operating just fine.
>What does this mean, and how can I create these files?
>Thanks alot:)
>Ken Sturgeon

The files system.dat and User.dat are in your windows directory as
hidden files.  They have to be there or else Win95 won't work.  The
File system.dat is the registry.
Do a DIR/A *.dat, in your windows directory, and they should show up.

------------------------------------
http://www.earthlink.net/~darkblade/

Post by Richard Glaese » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I'm not sure if this is the cause or not but I am aware of a SERIOUS bug with
> the peer-to-peer networking.

> Apparently (I've read this in several magazines, but haven't verified it) if a
> user shares any drive on his machine, you can then have access to his root
> drive. Simply map to 'C$' (not quotes, of course) and you'll have root access
> to the drive.

> Maybe this could be related in some off the wall way?

> Tim
> --MIcrosoft has released a new file that fixes this problem it is

available
at:http://www.microsoft.com/kb/softlib/bldqpage.idc?ProductPage=q_misc95...

Win95 - system.dat & user.dat files

Post by Inge Stubd » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm not sure if this is the cause or not but I am aware of a SERIOUS bug with
>the peer-to-peer networking.

No, there doesn't seem to be a connecyion. I'vew tried updating the
security bug.

What seems to be happening is that with this setup:

c:\windows\profiles\
                        admin
                        user

If there is no network installed (or if you physically remove the NIC
after installing the network, i.e. win95 doesn't start the network),
then I must give the password to admin to get admin's user rights. If
I press escape, I get the 'default' user profile, with severe
limitations.

*with* the network installed, I am first prompted to log on to the
Windows network. If I give the wrong password, I am prompted to log on
to windows, and now I can get around the password, and use the local
computer with the admin profile.  Is it not possible to set up
security on the local computer? (ps. there is at present no Win NT
server in the netwwork, but there might be in the future..)

Thanks for help!

-Inge

Post by Gordon McAndr » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

;>  Is it not possible to set up
;>security on the local computer? (ps. there is at present no Win NT
;>server in the netwwork, but there might be in the future..)

Since Win95 was never ment to be a secure operating system you have to go
through a few hoops to get even a small amount of security.  Like putting a
shutdown program in the general profile.  Even if you have an NT on the
network there is no real security on the Win95 computer just for the
network drives.

If you want security on the desktop computer then you will have to get NT
Workstation and you will probably have to upgrade the amount of memory on
the PC to handle it.

Look on the Win95 CD for some utilities that give restricted access rights
to the regular user.  A knowledgable user can still get around that stuff
given enough time.