Serial Network Link between Linux & Windows NT

Serial Network Link between Linux & Windows NT

Post by Michael Roha » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I am attempting to establish a simple network link between my two
systems (a Linux box and an NT 4 box) using the serial ports.  I had
hoped to simply run ppp over the serial line.

I have connected them and am able to log onto my Linux system over
the serial line using Hyper Terminal.

To setup the ppp link, I installed a "virtual" modem under NT for
direct PC to PC connection and used the Dial-up connection app (the
only thing that look vaguely like what I wanted to do).  I felt the
direct PC to PC connection would simple connect to the other system,
by-passing the modem initialization and dialing.  It does not. When
I try to establish a link using the virtual modem over the serial
line and cat the device on the Linux side ("cat /dev/ttyS0"), I get

        CLIENTCLIENTCLIENT

and the dial-up connection fails.  I guess PC to PC connection uses
it's own (hidden?) protocol.

I feel I must surely be able to do this.  Does anyone know how?

Thanks, in advance,
Michael Rohan.

1. Linux & NT - Can't See Linux Box in Network Neighborhood

I'm trying to hook up a Linux box as a member (not a server) of an NT
domain.

At this point, I've managed to get the Linux box to load an IP address from
my NT DHCP server.  I can ping the server from the Linux box and can ping
the Linux box from the server.

However, I have some problems:

1)  I can't see the Linux box in my Network Neighborhood or vice versa.

2)  Even though I can ping as described above, I don't seem to have to log
on the NT network.

Any ideas?  I'm obviously new to Linux...

2. resolution switching in nt4

3. NT 4.0 & Linux networking over PPP

4. Info on Interactive Multimedia Assoc.

5. Weird network authentication problem on NT,95,98 & Linux

6. Lost Volume Control in Tray

7. PPP client over Serial link for Windows NT

8. question about vga

9. NT to Linux using serial cable

10. Windows NT Workstation & Linux question

11. How to crash Windows NT 4.0 WS networking with Linux :)

12. Windows NT installation problems with Win95 & Linux

13. Any good links about setting up web servers on NT or Linux platforms?