can not shutdown or shuwdown to dos mode after installing Norton Anti Virus in Win95?

can not shutdown or shuwdown to dos mode after installing Norton Anti Virus in Win95?

Post by Jianlin Cha » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

After installing Norton ANti Virus shipped with Netscape Navigator Power
Pack on Win95, I find that I can't shutdown the computer, it will
reboot automatically if I use start->shutdown to shutdown the
computer. Nor can I shutdown the computer in MSDOS mode, further I can
not run any DOS applications. It seems that this has something to do
with the SYMANTEC\symevnt.386 file. After moving the
file to a different location, win95 can't load it, and everything
seems to be OK. What's the use of this file? It seems that without loading
it, Norton Antivirus still runs well. But now win95 on startup will
complain that it can't load the file, and pause for users to hit
return key. The message suggest delete the entry from windows registry or
program.ini and win.ini file. I can't find the entry in program.ini
and win.ini file. How can I delete it from windows registry? Thanks a
lot.

--

Queen's University               Tel: (613) 545-2723 (o)
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6             (613) 547-1353 (h)

Post by Tony » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>After installing Norton ANti Virus shipped with Netscape Navigator Power
>Pack on Win95, I find that I can't shutdown the computer, it will
> ... [snip] ...
>program.ini and win.ini file. I can't find the entry in program.ini
>and win.ini file. How can I delete it from windows registry? Thanks a
>lot.
>Jianlin Chang

Hi Jianlin,

There is a program in the windows subdir called REGEDIT. This is the
win95 Registry editor. Also on the CD from which win95 was installed
from is a program called ERU (Emergence Recovery Utiliti) located in
the \other\misc\eru subdir. Install this program and run it before
editing the Registry.

Start Regedit and search for the file (symevnt.386) and delete all
references to it. When Regedit is closed it updates the Registry. When
the system is next booted, there should not be any pause for the
missing file.

                                Hope this helps
                                Tony W.

Life is a treasure hunt - - I always look for the genuine value in life.

Post by Lund » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>After installing Norton ANti Virus shipped with Netscape Navigator Power
>Pack on Win95, I find that I can't shutdown the computer, it will
>reboot automatically if I use start->shutdown to shutdown the
>computer. Nor can I shutdown the computer in MSDOS mode, further I can
>not run any DOS applications. It seems that this has something to do
>with the SYMANTEC\symevnt.386 file. After moving the
>file to a different location, win95 can't load it, and everything
>seems to be OK. What's the use of this file? It seems that without loading
>it, Norton Antivirus still runs well. But now win95 on startup will
>complain that it can't load the file, and pause for users to hit
>return key. The message suggest delete the entry from windows registry or
>program.ini and win.ini file. I can't find the entry in program.ini
>and win.ini file. How can I delete it from windows registry? Thanks a
>lot.

You need to delete it from the registry.  Load up regedit.exe (it is in the
windows directory) and search for symevnt.386.  The search will stop when it
finds the first entry that has symevnt.386 in it.  Delete it.  You might have
to run the search a couple times (run the search over and over until it
doesn't find symevnt.386 anymore) inorder to remove all references of
symevnt.386.

Post by Jerry Hammo » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>After installing Norton ANti Virus shipped with Netscape Navigator Power
>Pack on Win95, I find that I can't shutdown the computer, it will
>reboot automatically if I use start->shutdown to shutdown the
>computer. Nor can I shutdown the computer in MSDOS mode, further I can
>not run any DOS applications. It seems that this has something to do
>with the SYMANTEC\symevnt.386 file. After moving the
>file to a different location, win95 can't load it, and everything
>seems to be OK. What's the use of this file? It seems that without loading
>it, Norton Antivirus still runs well. But now win95 on startup will
>complain that it can't load the file, and pause for users to hit
>return key. The message suggest delete the entry from windows registry or
>program.ini and win.ini file. I can't find the entry in program.ini
>and win.ini file. How can I delete it from windows registry? Thanks a
>lot.

Had a very similar problem when I installed Mcafees Antivirus which
re-occurred when I installed Norton Antivirus

If my memory serves me correctly, you will find a symevnt.386 entry in
the 386 enhanced section of the system.ini file.

To find references to it in the registry,  just open regedit click
view then find. BE CAREFUL what you delete - Always make a backup.

For those of you who want an easy way to restore your registry - Just
export a copy to the folder Windows\Desktop. This way, if you do Balls
it up, just double click the icon on the desktop to restore it.

By the way, you may find a reference to norton antivirus in the RUN=
or LOAD= lines at the beginning of the Win.ini file

As a recommendation I would suggest Solomans Antivirus, Its an
excellent piece of software, and it has saved me on a number of
occasions

Hope this helps.

Later
Jerry

Signatures are what you sign your life away with - Do it sparingly

Post by Ron Cochra » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >After installing Norton ANti Virus shipped with Netscape Navigator Power
> >Pack on Win95, I find that I can't shutdown the computer, it will
> >reboot automatically if I use start->shutdown to shutdown the
> >computer. Nor can I shutdown the computer in MSDOS mode, further I can
> >not run any DOS applications. It seems that this has something to do
> >with the SYMANTEC\symevnt.386 file. After moving the
> >file to a different location, win95 can't load it, and everything
> >seems to be OK. What's the use of this file? It seems that without loading
> >it, Norton Antivirus still runs well. But now win95 on startup will
> >complain that it can't load the file, and pause for users to hit
> >return key. The message suggest delete the entry from windows registry or
> >program.ini and win.ini file. I can't find the entry in program.ini
> >and win.ini file. How can I delete it from windows registry? Thanks a
> >lot.

> Had a very similar problem when I installed Mcafees Antivirus which
> re-occurred when I installed Norton Antivirus

> If my memory serves me correctly, you will find a symevnt.386 entry in
> the 386 enhanced section of the system.ini file.

> To find references to it in the registry,  just open regedit click
> view then find. BE CAREFUL what you delete - Always make a backup.

> For those of you who want an easy way to restore your registry - Just
> export a copy to the folder Windows\Desktop. This way, if you do Balls
> it up, just double click the icon on the desktop to restore it.

> By the way, you may find a reference to norton antivirus in the RUN=
> or LOAD= lines at the beginning of the Win.ini file

> As a recommendation I would suggest Solomans Antivirus, Its an
> excellent piece of software, and it has saved me on a number of
> occasions

> Hope this helps.

> Later
> Jerry

> Signatures are what you sign your life away with - Do it sparingly************************************************************************

I am having a similar problem with Windows 95.  It suddenly refused to
shutdown properly.  I no longer get the final screen that says "it is
now safe to turn off you computer".  It just yields a blank screen at
the end of the shutdown sequence.

I suspect that this has to do with McAfee antivirus software that I am
running.

Anyone else seen this?

Ron Cochran

Post by Anders Thelem » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am having a similar problem with Windows 95.  It suddenly refused to
>shutdown properly.  I no longer get the final screen that says "it is
>now safe to turn off you computer".  It just yields a blank screen at
>the end of the shutdown sequence.
>I suspect that this has to do with McAfee antivirus software that I am
>running.
>Anyone else seen this?
>Ron Cochran

I've seen it with NAV,
But since I very seldom turn off my computer I don't see it much  :)
And when I do turn it off I turn off NAV auto-protect first...   :(

#

http://www.algonet.se/~anderst/bik/bik.htm

Post by Pascal Valent » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am having a similar problem with Windows 95.  It suddenly refused to
>shutdown properly.  I no longer get the final screen that says "it is
>now safe to turn off you computer".  It just yields a blank screen at
>the end of the shutdown sequence.

>I suspect that this has to do with McAfee antivirus software that I am
>running.

I've seen many post discussing this problem. I have had the same problem up
till a month ago, but then it suddenly didn't occur anymore. I can't tell you
the exact reason but I think it had something to do with my memory upgrade :
from 8 to 16 Mb, the company who did this also discovered that my old 8 Mb
wasn't that good anymore so they replaced it.

Since two weeks I have installed McAfee antivirus but my computer still
shutsdown fine !

Moose,

P.s. I'm searching for info about old (XT) computers, who can help ?

      ______   __      __

    / / __  / \ \ \  / / /  WWW    : http://www.twi.tudelft.nl/~s851007/

  / / ____/     \ \/ / /             for my addresses or PGP Key.
 / / /           \  / /
 \/_/ascal        \/_/alentin

Finally, the Radio Station we've been waiting for :

     --------->                 ** KINK-FM **                    <---------

For your cabel-frequency check out : ** http://www.kinkfm.com/ **
Or call :                            ** +31(0)69577 (1gpm) **

Or call :                            ** +31(0)6300190 (40ctpm) **

Post by Jerry Hammo » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am having a similar problem with Windows 95.  It suddenly refused to
>shutdown properly.  I no longer get the final screen that says "it is
>now safe to turn off you computer".  It just yields a blank screen at
>the end of the shutdown sequence.

>I suspect that this has to do with McAfee antivirus software that I am
>running.

>Anyone else seen this?

>Ron Cochran

In answer to your question - Yes it happened with me - I uninstalled
Mcafees and the problem went away.

It has something to do with corruption of Mcafees files. Just
reinstall after you delete them (check that the system shuts down OK
before you reinstall.

Later

can not shutdown or shuwdown to dos mode after installing Norton Anti Virus in Win95?

Post by Sangyong Pa » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have a same problem, only it happens every time I install programs that
require win95 to restart, for example plus! and office.  I re-installed
win95, and it worked fine, until I installed another program...

Any solutions?  Is this a common occurance?

Sang
--

Post by Michael W. Freem » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am having a similar problem with Windows 95.  It suddenly refused to
>shutdown properly.  I no longer get the final screen that says "it is
>now safe to turn off you computer".  It just yields a blank screen at
>the end of the shutdown sequence.
>I suspect that this has to do with McAfee antivirus software that I am
>running.
>Anyone else seen this?
>Ron Cochran

I am seeing a problem almost identical to this. Except that my system
says "Windows Protection Error. you need to restart your computer." It
does this right after AutoProtect scans drive A:. It just started
doing this after I installed the KERNEL32 update from Microsoft. this
problem is a big pain in the *because if I try to play a DOS based
game ie. NHL 96, and I forget to turn off AutoProtect, I have to
restart my system. Any suggestions??

Mike Freeman