Can any files be deleted to reduce the size if Win95?

Can any files be deleted to reduce the size if Win95?

Post by Pangst » Fri, 30 Jun 1995 04:00:00

If Win95 is installed over Windows 3.11, what can be deleted in order to
reduce the c:\windows directory size from over 17mb, and the
c:\windows\system size from over 47 mb to something more reasonable?

(Removing some of the network and other unusued options is obvious, I ask
more about "old" windows files)

Thx

Post by Johan Wilti » Fri, 30 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>If Win95 is installed over Windows 3.11, what can be deleted in order to
>reduce the c:\windows directory size from over 17mb, and the
>c:\windows\system size from over 47 mb to something more reasonable?
>(Removing some of the network and other unusued options is obvious, I ask
>more about "old" windows files)

I have a clean setup of Windows 95 and my windows directory is about
16 MB. Not much to be deleted there it would seem.

My system directory contains, as opposed to your 47 MB, don't panic,
24 MB. I wouldn't know what exactly you can delete. Would a directory
listing of my system dir help?
--
Johan Wiltink

+31 53 89 5240
--
This message originated outside the land of Hope, Glory and Senator Exon.

1. Reducing the size of *.dbx file sizes

The *.dbx files in the Outlook Express folder (Explorer view) are still
pretty large in size even though all messages were deleted recently in a
cleanup. This was after the stored message files were copied for archival
off-computer.

The Deleted Items.dbx file, for instance, shows it is almost 10 megabytes
even though there are no messages there. Other folders that were created are
even bigger. The entire Outlook Express folder is still over 150 MB despite
copying all messages for archival elsewhere and deleting them within OE
itself! Right now there is not a single stored or downloaded message or
header in OE.

This OE is used exclusively for Usenet and is not used at all for email. How
do I reduce the *.dbx file sizes?

Or, am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks in anticipation.

JP

2. How to make sent news messages to get to the sent folder? They do not get there, although they get to news groups.

3. Help reducing Macromedia file size

4. PCMCIA CARD driver help!!

5. Need Help On Reducing File Size!

6. i cannot play any movies in windowns98

7. Copy to e740 doesn't reduce file size

8. Dark Age of Camelot

9. How could i reduce the size of .rm files?

10. Reducing ScreenCam file sizes

11. Reducing .wma file size

12. How do I remove old messages in OE and reduce size of dbx files

13. How to reduce dbx file size