WordPerfect 8

Post by Dr. Joel M. Hoffm » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I just installed WordPerfect 8 on a Win95 machine, and it barely
works.  I'm lucky if it runs for more than an hour without a critical
error (Win95 error message, terminate the task, usually Win95 still
runs.)  Is it possible that WP8 is >this< buggy?  What else might
cause such terrible behavior?

Thanks.

-Joel

WordPerfect 8

Post by Steve Shattuc » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I just installed WordPerfect 8 on a Win95 machine, and it barely
>works.  I'm lucky if it runs for more than an hour without a critical
>error (Win95 error message, terminate the task, usually Win95 still
>runs.)  Is it possible that WP8 is >this< buggy?  What else might
>cause such terrible behavior?

We have 2500 machine running WP 8.0, and NEVER have any errors.  Some things
to check:

    1. If you upgraded from an earlier version, delete EVERYTHING associated
with WP
        and reinstall.

    2. You failed to indicate the type of error.  If they are 0X errors, the
hardware you are
        running on is BAD.

    3. There are several patches to 8.0, make sure you have the latest
(8.0.0.268) version.

    4. If you are running Win95a, have you applied all the patches and
service releases?

    5. Do you have the latest video drivers for your video board.  WP is
very sensitive to
        bad video drivers.

WordPerfect 8

Post by Michael A. Koeneck » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I just installed WordPerfect 8 on a Win95 machine, and it barely
> works.  I'm lucky if it runs for more than an hour without a critical
> error (Win95 error message, terminate the task, usually Win95 still
> runs.)  Is it possible that WP8 is >this< buggy?  What else might
> cause such terrible behavior?

> Thanks.

> -Joel

The only thing I can think of is that you've got an old build of
WordPerfect 8, since it is generally fast and stable. The most current
build (at least until Service Pack 3 is released, any day now) is
8.0.0.268. If you've got 225, you need to download and install Service
Pack 2. If pre-225, download and install both Service Packs available on
Corel's Web site. Other considerations: if the error messages are in
your video driver, adding the /FL switch to the WP command line will
force the program to write directly to the screen and fix those errors.
Also, WP has never been good about cleaning up TMP files. Add the
following line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT (recommended in any case):
deltree /y c:\windows\temp\*.*

For further questions about WP, I recommend the bit.listserv.wpwin-l
newsgroup.
--
Mike "It's Spelled Koenecke but it's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove"
  to reply, change "nowhere" to "dfwmm"

WordPerfect 8

Post by John Liebs » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I just installed WordPerfect 8 on a Win95 machine, and it barely
>works.  I'm lucky if it runs for more than an hour without a critical
>error (Win95 error message, terminate the task, usually Win95 still
>runs.)  Is it possible that WP8 is >this< buggy?  What else might
>cause such terrible behavior?

When you get an IPF, is it in the form of X caused an IPF in module Y
at Z?

If so, you must post that information if you expect to get any
assistance.

There are also a number of other things (i.e., ones that don't give
this type of error message) that can cause WPWIN to crash.

There's a bit.listserv.wpwin-l news group, as well as Corel's own news
server with a WP 8-specific group, both better places for problems
such as yours, as there are many people in both groups who are very
knowledgeable about WPWIN and are more likely to see your postings
than they are in this group.

WordPerfect 8

Post by Dr. Joel M. Hoffm » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>I just installed WordPerfect 8 on a Win95 machine, and it barely
>>works.  I'm lucky if it runs for more than an hour without a critical
>>error (Win95 error message, terminate the task, usually Win95 still
>>runs.)  Is it possible that WP8 is >this< buggy?  What else might
>>cause such terrible behavior?

>When you get an IPF, is it in the form of X caused an IPF in module Y
>at Z?

I finally found the problem.  It seems that WordPerfect is
incompatible with Norton Navigator, and once I deleted the latter
everyone worked fine.

-Joel

WordPerfect 8

Post by John Liebs » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I finally found the problem.  It seems that WordPerfect is
>incompatible with Norton Navigator, and once I deleted the latter
>everyone worked fine.

Not entirely correct, there's an update patch for NN, intended for MS
Word, that also fixes WP problems. I believe that there may be some
other considerations involved, but I don't remember them; the sources
of WP info I gave you previously should be able to provide those NN
compatibility answers.

1. SB16 driver for WordPerfect 6.0

Hello,
     Could somebody please tell me if WordPerfect Corp. have released a
driver to support the SB16 for WP6.0.

I have just purchased WordPerfect 6.0 and would like to use my soundcard
to create multimedia document presentations but WP6.0  only came with
the SB and SBPro drivers - I heard they will be releasing some new
drivers soon, so if anyone knows of  such a driver could you please
e-mail me at:

thanks heaps (in advance) Glen.....

2. Windows XP Shut Down Dialog Box

3. WordPerfect Presentations/DOS Bug?

4. Why my Windows run slower with 32megs than 16

5. OpenDoc - Anybody know about it (Apple, Novel, WordPerfect)

6. HELP

7. 1What's the Encryption for a WordPerfect file for Windows??

8. Error installing driver

9. Please help with WordPerfect 7

10. OE6 doesn't display links, urls I typed in WordPerfect 8

11. WordPerfect Dictionary - compatible with OE...?

12. Get OE to open attachment with MSWord, NOT with WordPerfect

13. WordPerfect 10