Firewalls

Post by Somebod » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:02:25

Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
Zone Alarm
Sygate Personal Firewall
Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by loop0 » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:07:25

I use ZoneAlarm. I'm no expert but it seems to be doing its job. I have
messages popping up continuously telling me about someone being blocked from
my comp.

No complaints.
Linda.
____________________________________

Quote:> Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> Zone Alarm
> Sygate Personal Firewall
> Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by Heather Figuero » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:25:51

Zone Alarm here too for over a year.......excellent program.  Just had a

computer......on writing the website, the 'owner' said that they had had
conflicts with Sygate.........they had also assured me beforehand that
it was compatible with ME (not).  So in that round about way......if ZA
does not have a conflict with a program and Sygate does.......well, you
decide <g>.

Heather

> I use ZoneAlarm. I'm no expert but it seems to be doing its job. I
have
> messages popping up continuously telling me about someone being
blocked from
> my comp.

> No complaints.
> Linda.
> ____________________________________

> > Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> > Zone Alarm
> > Sygate Personal Firewall
> > Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by Enzo » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:50:15

ditto here

Firewalls

Post by ** Pee Cee * » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 16:32:57

I use zone alarm with no problems, just one tip though. If you are playing
games while online disable the pop up, it can be a nuisance,
Paul.

Quote:> Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> Zone Alarm
> Sygate Personal Firewall
> Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by Chris Taylo » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:23:38

I like ZoneAlarm a lot - can't complain for the price - but be warned. There
are incompatability issues - check their website for latest info. Plus I
have to tell you, I've been posting here a couple of days about the trouble
I've had with reinstalling WinME - and unexplained freezes. The first series
of hangs and errors came immediately after installing ZA. I've usually been
able to chase out the errors by doggedly rebooting many times and things
seem to have settled somewhat. I'd rather live with ZA than not though. Good
luck.

Chris.

Quote:> ditto here

Firewalls

Post by Michae » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:42:36

Like the others I too use zone alarm. Just a note though, just because you
see the popup telling you that ZA has blocked traffic to your computer it
doesn't *always* mean that someone is trying to get into your system. It can
be from any number of things

> > Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> > Zone Alarm
> > Sygate Personal Firewall
> > Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by Isildu » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 22:39:41

ZoneAlarm Pro has been running very well for me since November [Recently
upgrade to 2.6.231. It needs careful configuration because it installs with
a high security configuration which may be too severe. The pop-ups about
potential attacks should be examined the on the first occasion, and if ZA
reports that they are not dangerous, reporting them another time should be
disabled.

In my case there is one major snag. i have an "always on" cable connection
to the Internet 500 Kbs. If this goes down, as it does occasionally and I
need to reboot Windows while it is down, then Windows will not reload
because ZA is trying [and failing, of course] to start its True Vector
connection to the Net. To get over this I have to go into Safe Mode and
disable ZA which is tedious and time consuming. I can avoid this risk by not
configuring ZA to the default option of loading when Windows starts but this
risks it not being on either because I forget or because I am not present
when an auto reboot takes place.
Apart from this small snag it is a great application with good support from
the vendor.
--

> Like the others I too use zone alarm. Just a note though, just because you
> see the popup telling you that ZA has blocked traffic to your computer it
> doesn't *always* mean that someone is trying to get into your system. It
can
> be from any number of things

> > > Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> > > Zone Alarm
> > > Sygate Personal Firewall
> > > Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by Isildu » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 22:53:48

A clip from the valuable Locker Gnome news letter seems appropriate
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
With ZoneAlarm, your PC (or IP Address) doesn't even exist to a hacker
trolling IP's and ports... they get no response. Not so with port monitors.
A PC using a port monitor may be able to block an offense, but a hacker (or
more likely a script kiddie) certainly knows that a system exists at that IP
address... making the system visible and possibly vulnerable to a deliberate
and focused attack. The most probable form of attack comes in the form of a
port sweep. After all, the hacker already knows that there's something
there. It's just a matter of probing for security gaps (open ports). If
you're invisible, as you are when using ZoneAlarm, you have more complete
protection. Not even a drooling script kiddie would waste time probing
unresponsive IPs and ports. Visit GRC.COM to read some interesting analysis
on software firewalls... and it's from someone who knows more about internet
security than most!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
--

> ZoneAlarm Pro has been running very well for me since November [Recently
> upgrade to 2.6.231. It needs careful configuration because it installs
with
> a high security configuration which may be too severe. The pop-ups about
> potential attacks should be examined the on the first occasion, and if ZA
> reports that they are not dangerous, reporting them another time should be
> disabled.

> In my case there is one major snag. i have an "always on" cable connection
> to the Internet 500 Kbs. If this goes down, as it does occasionally and I
> need to reboot Windows while it is down, then Windows will not reload
> because ZA is trying [and failing, of course] to start its True Vector
> connection to the Net. To get over this I have to go into Safe Mode and
> disable ZA which is tedious and time consuming. I can avoid this risk by n
ot
> configuring ZA to the default option of loading when Windows starts but
this
> risks it not being on either because I forget or because I am not present
> when an auto reboot takes place.
> Apart from this small snag it is a great application with good support
from
> the vendor.
> --

> > Like the others I too use zone alarm. Just a note though, just because
you
> > see the popup telling you that ZA has blocked traffic to your computer
it
> > doesn't *always* mean that someone is trying to get into your system. It
> can
> > be from any number of things

Firewalls

Post by Bob Delane » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:21:27

   Stick with ZoneAlarm's fre version. It also has the highest effectiveness
ratings. In Windows XP, this firewall function is part of the operating
system anyway, as a quick look at the public beta in the stores will tell
you. If and when you upgrade this fall, Windows XP will manage this function
for you.
--
Bob Delaney
Microsoft MVP

Quote:> Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> Zone Alarm
> Sygate Personal Firewall
> Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by -Lone_Wolf » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:24:12

I used ZA from years. I have recently switched to Sygate. I find it just as effective
(watches traffic both way like ZA) and it has many better features such as logs available
from the program, and advanced settings (not needed for the novice.) I did not like ZA for
a couple of reasons. Once in a while it would not start correctly causing the need for a
complete reboot. uninstalls and updates were dirty and left garbage throughout the system
(even to the point I had to uninstall manually to restore connectivity to my wife's PC
last week!

John

| Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
| Zone Alarm
| Sygate Personal Firewall
| Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by Isildu » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:05:14

Where is Sygate found?

--

Quote:> I used ZA from years. I have recently switched to Sygate. I find it just
as effective
> (watches traffic both way like ZA) and it has many better features such as
logs available
> from the program, and advanced settings (not needed for the novice.) I did
not like ZA for
> a couple of reasons. Once in a while it would not start correctly causing
the need for a
> complete reboot. uninstalls and updates were dirty and left garbage

throughout the system
> (even to the point I had to uninstall manually to restore connectivity to
my wife's PC
> last week!

> John

> | Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
> | Zone Alarm
> | Sygate Personal Firewall
> | Experiences?

Firewalls

Post by -Lone_Wolf » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:26:51

www.sygate.com

| Where is Sygate found?
|
| --

| > I used ZA from years. I have recently switched to Sygate. I find it just
| as effective
| > (watches traffic both way like ZA) and it has many better features such as
| logs available
| > from the program, and advanced settings (not needed for the novice.) I did
| not like ZA for
| > a couple of reasons. Once in a while it would not start correctly causing
| the need for a
| > complete reboot. uninstalls and updates were dirty and left garbage
| throughout the system
| > (even to the point I had to uninstall manually to restore connectivity to
| my wife's PC
| > last week!
| >
| > John
| >

| > | Between the two (which are free) which is recommended?
| > | Zone Alarm
| > | Sygate Personal Firewall
| > | Experiences?
| > |
| > |

Firewalls

Post by -Lone_Wolf » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:41:19

|    Stick with ZoneAlarm's fre version. It also has the highest effectiveness
| ratings. In Windows XP, this firewall function is part of the operating
| system anyway, as a quick look at the public beta in the stores will tell
| you. If and when you upgrade this fall, Windows XP will manage this function
| for you.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning. The thought of letting the company
that creates its Operating Systems with so many security holes/flaws actually protecting
the security and privacy of my PC is amusing. Time will tell how effective their firewall
will be. If I remember correctly it failed the leak test from GRC which means it would not
catch a bot or trojan accessing an IRC chatroom from your PC. It should also be noted the
firewall was not active by default on my upgrade to my Win2000 partition.

John

Firewalls

Post by -Lone_Wolf » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:55:07

Gibson Research Corporation

"I am quite impressed by version 4.0 of the Sygate Personal Firewall. It has a clean,
attractive, and intuitive user-interface. It offers state of the art inbound and outbound
application-level firewall blocking, and it provides uniquely detailed and useful
diagnostic logs for those interested in really knowing what's going on with their personal
computer's Internet connection. This is a great product, and one of the very best personal
firewalls in the industry." -- Apr '01

Steve Gibson, President Gibson Research Corporation http://grc.com

| A clip from the valuable Locker Gnome news letter seems appropriate
| <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
| With ZoneAlarm, your PC (or IP Address) doesn't even exist to a hacker
| trolling IP's and ports... they get no response. Not so with port monitors.
| A PC using a port monitor may be able to block an offense, but a hacker (or
| more likely a script kiddie) certainly knows that a system exists at that IP
| address... making the system visible and possibly vulnerable to a deliberate
| and focused attack. The most probable form of attack comes in the form of a
| port sweep. After all, the hacker already knows that there's something
| there. It's just a matter of probing for security gaps (open ports). If
| you're invisible, as you are when using ZoneAlarm, you have more complete
| protection. Not even a drooling script kiddie would waste time probing
| unresponsive IPs and ports. Visit GRC.COM to read some interesting analysis
| on software firewalls... and it's from someone who knows more about internet
| security than most!
| <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
| --

| > ZoneAlarm Pro has been running very well for me since November [Recently
| > upgrade to 2.6.231. It needs careful configuration because it installs
| with
| > a high security configuration which may be too severe. The pop-ups about
| > potential attacks should be examined the on the first occasion, and if ZA
| > reports that they are not dangerous, reporting them another time should be
| > disabled.
| >
| > In my case there is one major snag. i have an "always on" cable connection
| > to the Internet 500 Kbs. If this goes down, as it does occasionally and I
| > need to reboot Windows while it is down, then Windows will not reload
| > because ZA is trying [and failing, of course] to start its True Vector
| > connection to the Net. To get over this I have to go into Safe Mode and
| > disable ZA which is tedious and time consuming. I can avoid this risk by n
| ot
| > configuring ZA to the default option of loading when Windows starts but
| this
| > risks it not being on either because I forget or because I am not present
| > when an auto reboot takes place.
| > Apart from this small snag it is a great application with good support
| from
| > the vendor.
| > --

| > > Like the others I too use zone alarm. Just a note though, just because
| you
| > > see the popup telling you that ZA has blocked traffic to your computer
| it
| > > doesn't *always* mean that someone is trying to get into your system. It
| > can
| > > be from any number of things

1. Hardware Firewall or Software firewall blocking.

Hi,

I have Norton Internet Security 2003 and Norton AV 2003. I've been using the
incoming and outgoing email scan feature of Norton and also the spam check
feature for quite some time now.

Just two days ago, I had to share the internet with a roomie, so we used his
HP hn200e digital home networking ethernet gateway router.

There have'nt been many problems, except that email gave me a problem. I
tried "replying" to an email, and it scans usually before sending the email,
and shows the progress too, and it's not going through. I later disabled the
outgoing mail scan, which still seems to be giving me the same error.

Then I went to the router's website, and then followed instructions to open
up my computer to the internet by adding it's internal IP in the DMZ config
allowing it to allow me to do whatever I want. It still did'nt work..

But now, I just stripped like most of the email (in the reply copy) and
added just 2 of my lines to the shortened 10 line email that I had
received.. and holla, it goes through!

Now, I'm back on with the firewall and the router still has my internal IP
on DMZ. But still, I wanna know what's going wrong.

If someone has had this situation before, and got help, please help me.

The error I receive from Norton is:

Your email message to <recipitents_name> with the subject <email_title> was
unable to be sent because the connection to your mail server was
interrupted. Please open your email client and re-send the message from the
Sent Messages folder." In the lower-left corner of the error message, you
see the numbers 1003,9.

Please help.

2. Intel vs AMD

3. WinXP Firewall & DSL Firewall

4. How do select item in a list???

5. XP Pro Firewall Preferences/Settings...How To Deactivate When Using Other Firewall?

6. IE 6 and Script Debugger

7. Norton Internet firewall and XP firewall

8. Upgrade path

9. How to disable XP firewall and use Firewall contained antivirus

10. Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) with [insert firewall app here]

11. xp firewall vs. norton personal firewall

12. I have DSL behind a router/firewall, should I firewall my network connection too?

13. WinXP Firewall & DSL Firewall