Search engine embedded web servers

Post by Lynn William » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

Our company is currently in the process of putting up our own Web server.
Among other things, we would like to know if there might be a software
package which would include a Internet "search engine" that we could
store right on our server and be "networked."  In other words, a database
we could all share at once -- without having to go to directly to Yahoo,
Infoseek etc.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Lynn

Post by Murat Kucuksara » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Our company is currently in the process of putting up our own Web >server. Among other things, we would like to know if there might=

 be a >software package which would include a Internet "search engine," that we >could store right on our server and be "networked."=
  In other words, a >database we could all share at once -- without having to go to directly >to Yahoo, Infoseek etc.

Quote:

>Any info would be helpful.

>Thanks in advance for your help...

>Lynn

Actually,  I  was looking for something kind of similar to what I think
you're asking. I found the following info on a news release the other
day.  Hope it helps.

"Process Software, the Web server software developer, and Verity, Inc., a
provider of search and retrieval applications for the enterprise and
Internet, announced a technology alliance that will deliver an integrated
platform for the Internet as well as internal, Web-based backoffice
applications markets.  As part of the agreement, Process Software will
embed Verity's Topic search engine in the company's Purveyor WebServer
line..." etc., etc.

Contact Verity at:

Voice: 415-960-7600

Post by Nick Arne » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

> Actually,  I  was looking for something kind of similar to what I think
> you're asking. I found the following info on a news release the other
> day.  Hope it helps.

> "Process Software, the Web server software developer, and Verity, Inc., a
> provider of search and retrieval applications for the enterprise and
> Internet, announced a technology alliance that will deliver an integrated
> platform for the Internet as well as internal, Web-based backoffice
> applications markets.  As part of the agreement, Process Software will
> embed Verity's Topic search engine in the company's Purveyor WebServer
> line..." etc., etc.

> Contact Verity at:

> Voice: 415-960-7600

We also announced a similar deal with NetManage last week... and we
already had announced similar deals with Netscape and Quarterdeck.  And by
the time you read this, probably two more... ;-)

Nick Arnett

--
Verity Inc.

<URL:http://www.verity.com/>
(415) 960-7660

Search engine embedded web servers

Post by BruceMou » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Lynn:

Quote:>>Our company is currently in the process of putting
>>up our own Web server. ... In other words, a database
>>we could all share at once -- without having to go to
>>directly to Yahoo, Infoseek etc.

If your organization has lots of text data either on a single
server or distributed among many servers you will
want to look at our PLWeb product.

PLWeb is available for a free trial period by going to http://www.pls.com

PLWeb is used at Time's Pathfinder site, Hewlett Packard and others (see
our site for more pointers.

--Bruce

  Bruce Mount
  Personal Library Software

Search engine embedded web servers

Post by THUNDERSTON » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Lynn:

>>>Our company is currently in the process of putting
>>>up our own Web server. ... In other words, a database
>>>we could all share at once -- without having to go to
>>>directly to Yahoo, Infoseek etc.

(Sorry this is nested, the original message expired.)

Have a look at http://www.thunderstone.com too. We have
an concept based text RDBMS  product called Texis that
is the bees-knees for applications like this.

BTW: We have a Texis application called The Webinator that will
be out of beta mighty soon... Its a web-walker/indexer and retrieval
package... Here's the blurb about it:

The Webinator is a package that will allow a Website administrator to
create and provide a high quality retrieval interface to collections of
HTML documents. Webinator serves as an example of the type of
applications that can be built around Thunderstone's Texis RDBMS.

We think Webinator is the finest system of its kind in existence on the
Web and we would like organizations to take it out for a six month trial
to see if they feel the same way.

From the Administrator's perspective Webinator offers the following
benefits:

      Indexes multiple sites into one common index.
      Provides detailed verification and logging of document linkages.
      Will index/update documents while database is in use.
      Allows multiple databases at a site.
      Provides an SQL query interface to the database for maintenance and
reports.
      Allows remote sites to be copied to the local file system.
      Multiple index engines may run concurrently against a common
database.

From the User's perspective Webinator offers:

      Simple navigation.
      Powerful and easy to use queries for:
          Natural language
          Set logic
          Special pattern matchers (regular expressions, quantities,
fuzzy patterns)
          Relevance ranking
          Proximity controls
      Document similarity searches (Doc Surfing).
      Link reference reports.
      In Context result listings.

Search engine embedded web servers

Post by Keith LaBot » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00

PERMENANT FULLTIME POSITION

Growing software company in the Sierra Nevada foothills (25 miles east
of Sacramento CA, 2 hours from Silicon Valley and San Francisco, 2
hours from Lake Tahoe) seeking a full time, long term programmer tp
join our growing
team in a lead development position writing Windows client server
applications.

Must be a self starter and quick learner
Must be a producer (prove it with your track record)
Must have strong communications skills (written and oral)
Must have stable employment history
Must be 100% commited to quality work

Successful candidate should have experience in some or all of the
following:
* Borland Delphi
* SQL experience (Oracle preferred),
* Pascal, MS Windows 3.11/ Windows 95/ Windows NT
* CA Clipper (summer 87 and clipper 5.2)
* dBASE
* MS Word, Excel, Access
* General familiarity with Novell Netware

We are a innovator in logistics management software and are hired as
strategic partners by clients to design and support our own mission
critical production sofrtware for global application.  Our clients
include industry

leaders such as:

Adobe
Autodesk
Sybase
Syquest
Tandem Computers
Motorola
Cisco Systems
Johnson & Johnson
Zenith Computers

Opportunity to play a significant role in the direction of a small, dynamic
company.
Generous compensation with excellent opportunity for income growth. Good
benefits and

SEND RESUME with email address TO:

FAX        916-933-3742