Upgrade from Dell Dimension 4100 Win Me to Win2K. Help!!

Upgrade from Dell Dimension 4100 Win Me to Win2K. Help!!

Post by Carl Ki » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:05:11

Hello!

I want to install Win2K on my Dell Dimension 4100, which I bought about a
year ago, so that I can learn the system and begin thinking about getting
certified.  However, it is turning out to be a pain!

Running setup I get the message that the following hardware may not be
compatible with Win2K:

Epson Stylus Color 777
Intel(r) 82801 BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443
Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter
Microsoft Kernel DRM Descrambler Filter
Rage 128 Pro

These need updated Plug and Play files, I am told.  It looks to me that the
controller card and video driver are the most urgent.  How can I update
these files?

I downloaded a driver from ATI website that was Win2K compatible, but it
would not install.  I tried to uninstall the old driver but that did not
work as well!

I am wondering, do I have to update these files first, and then install
Win2K?  If there is a problem with the install, how do I restore my comp
to full function, since the new drivers are not Win Me compatible?

Are there any FAQs, guides, etc. that are specific to upgrading a Dell
Dimension 4100 w/ Win Me to Win2K.  I tried contacting Dell, but the only
reply that I got was that if I did upgrade, then my tech support would
disappear!  Thanks Dell.

Please help me, I need to get this install done ASAP!

(PS - please respond by e-mail if you can)

Upgrade from Dell Dimension 4100 Win Me to Win2K. Help!!

Post by Jimm » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:06:14

Install the O/S as is, dont worry about error messages until the
install is done. Then you can go to the device manager and update the
drivers. Microsoft put that *in win2k so you would want to use
their proposed equipment. I have been running the rage 128 pro with
win2k for some time, but I did have to load the driver after install.
once the install is done, download the drivers for the intel board and
for the epson printer. Have faith....it is your modem or nic that you
have to be most concerned with depending on which you use to connect
to the internet.
Jimmy, MCSE

> Hello!

> I want to install Win2K on my Dell Dimension 4100, which I bought about
> year ago, so that I can learn the system and begin thinking about
> getting
> certified.  However, it is turning out to be a pain!

> Running setup I get the message that the following hardware may not be
> compatible with Win2K:

> Epson Stylus Color 777
> Intel(r) 82801 BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443
> Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter
> Microsoft Kernel DRM Descrambler Filter
> Rage 128 Pro

> These need updated Plug and Play files, I am told.  It looks to me that
> the
> controller card and video driver are the most urgent.  How can I update
> these files?

> I downloaded a driver from ATI website that was Win2K compatible, but it
> would not install.  I tried to uninstall the old driver but that did not
> work as well!

> I am wondering, do I have to update these files first, and then install
> Win2K?  If there is a problem with the install, how do I restore my comp
> to full function, since the new drivers are not Win Me compatible?

> Are there any FAQs, guides, etc. that are specific to upgrading a Dell
> Dimension 4100 w/ Win Me to Win2K.  I tried contacting Dell, but the
> only
> reply that I got was that if I did upgrade, then my tech support would
> disappear!  Thanks Dell.

> Please help me, I need to get this install done ASAP!

> (PS - please respond by e-mail if you can)

> --

Upgrade from Dell Dimension 4100 Win Me to Win2K. Help!!

Post by AAge » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 00:43:30

Carl,

I am having problems trying to install a dual boot with ME and Win2K
and Dell will not suport my efforts either. I would think since my PC
has a Sticker that states WIN2000 compatible that Dell would support
that upgrade. Usually when you buy a PC you are on your own after
that.