Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

Post by Pete Kruckenber » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi.

I just got HellSoft's BOOTPD.NLM running today, and it works
great! However, it only works with our Trumpet Winsock and Mac
machines. I'd like to also do dynamic IP assignment to
Windows95 and Windows NT machines, which use DHCP.

So, does anyone know of a BOOTP/DHCP server that runs either on
some flavor of Intel-based Unix (pref. BSDI 2.0, Linux, or
FreeBSD) or Netware (pref. 4.1 or 4.x) that will do dynamic IP
assignment from a pool?

I'd prefer a supported (commercial) product, but anything's
fine.

Also, it'd be nice if the server could assign IP addresses
based on the segment (like BOOTPD.NLM does), but that's not
absolutely necessary.

Any pointers to anything, or suggestions on possible solutions
would be very helpful!

Thanks.
Pete Kruckenberg

Post by Pete Kruckenber » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> >So, does anyone know of a BOOTP/DHCP server that runs either on
> >some flavor of Intel-based Unix (pref. BSDI 2.0, Linux, or
> >FreeBSD) or Netware (pref. 4.1 or 4.x) that will do dynamic IP
> >assignment from a pool?

> >I'd prefer a supported (commercial) product, but anything's
> >fine.

> >Any pointers to anything, or suggestions on possible solutions
> >would be very helpful!

> You might look at http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html#widxx
> It includes a list of freeware and commercial DHCP/BOOTP servers and sites.

This was an invalid URL. ~jmwobus/ doesn't exist. Did it go away, or is
it misspelled?

Pete Kruckenberg

Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

Post by Heich-m » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi.

>I just got HellSoft's BOOTPD.NLM running today, and it works
>great! However, it only works with our Trumpet Winsock and Mac
>machines. I'd like to also do dynamic IP assignment to
>Windows95 and Windows NT machines, which use DHCP.

Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
easily every time.

Can anyone confirm this?

                                        --Colin

Post by Howard Helbe » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >I just got HellSoft's BOOTPD.NLM running today, and it works
: >great! However, it only works with our Trumpet Winsock and Mac
: >machines. I'd like to also do dynamic IP assignment to
: >Windows95 and Windows NT machines, which use DHCP.
: >
: Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
: believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
: the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
: router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
: easily every time.

Are you using PPP to connect to your ISP?  I beleive the IP assignment
is being done by a function on the PPP protocol and not BOOTP or
DHCP.  I have yet to to see a win '95 or NT client on our networks
actually receive an IP address from a BOOTP server (I've tried
using both Novell's LAN WorkGroup bootp and the bootpd that comes
with HP/UX).  I beleive I have also read in the MS WIndows '95 documentation
that the DHCP client is BOOTP backwards compatible.  Is this a lie or
am I doing something wrong?  By the way, yes, I have put the hardware
addresses of my NT and Win '95 in the Bootptab files.  Why couldn't
Microsoft just use BOOTP?  I'm certainly not going to put in a NT
server just to support Microsoft's TCPIP stacks.  Is there a DHCP
serveravailable for HP/UX or NetWare?  If so, is it compatible
with BOOTP broadcast requests?

 Howard Helbein

Post by tedmtoy.. » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

| >Hi.
| >
| >I just got HellSoft's BOOTPD.NLM running today, and it works
| >great! However, it only works with our Trumpet Winsock and Mac
| >machines. I'd like to also do dynamic IP assignment to
| >Windows95 and Windows NT machines, which use DHCP.
| >

| Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
| believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
| the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
| router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
| easily every time.
|
| Can anyone confirm this?
|
|                          --Colin

This may only be true through Dial Up Networking.  I have noticed the same thing
as well.

Post by Alan Strassbe » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>> You might look at http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html#widxx
>> It includes a list of freeware and commercial DHCP/BOOTP servers and sites.

>This was an invalid URL. ~jmwobus/ doesn't exist. Did it go away, or is
>it misspelled?

         The DHCP FAQ can be found at:
         http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html

                                        alan

--
-------------

Lockheed Martin - Santa Cruz, California

Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

Post by Eric Ha » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>| Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
>| believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
>| the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
>| router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
>| easily every time.

BOOTP and DHCP are not the same thing, and MS' TCP/IP client doesn't
support BOOTP.

Quote:>This may only be true through Dial Up Networking.  I have noticed the same thing
>as well.

You're probably getting this information from PPP instead.

TGV Software, Inc.                                    http://www.tgv.com

Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

Post by Christopher Davi » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip: 23-Jul-95

Quote:> with HP/UX).  I beleive I have also read in the MS WIndows '95 documentation
> that the DHCP client is BOOTP backwards compatible.  Is this a lie or
> am I doing something wrong?  By the way, yes, I have put the hardware

Microsoft specifically writes in their documentation that win95 is NOT
bootp compatible. They could have easily made it a bootp/dhcp client,
but they just had to make our lives difficult.

Chris Davis
Network Development
Carnegie Mellon University

Post by John M. Wob » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: >I just got HellSoft's BOOTPD.NLM running today, and it works
>: >great! However, it only works with our Trumpet Winsock and Mac
>: >machines. I'd like to also do dynamic IP assignment to
>: >Windows95 and Windows NT machines, which use DHCP.
>: >
>: Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
>: believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
>: the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
>: router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
>: easily every time.

>Are you using PPP to connect to your ISP?  I beleive the IP assignment
>is being done by a function on the PPP protocol and not BOOTP or
>DHCP.  I have yet to to see a win '95 or NT client on our networks
>actually receive an IP address from a BOOTP server (I've tried
>using both Novell's LAN WorkGroup bootp and the bootpd that comes
>with HP/UX).  I beleive I have also read in the MS WIndows '95 documentation
>that the DHCP client is BOOTP backwards compatible.  Is this a lie or
>am I doing something wrong?  By the way, yes, I have put the hardware
>addresses of my NT and Win '95 in the Bootptab files.  Why couldn't
>Microsoft just use BOOTP?  I'm certainly not going to put in a NT
>server just to support Microsoft's TCPIP stacks.  Is there a DHCP
>serveravailable for HP/UX or NetWare?  If so, is it compatible
>with BOOTP broadcast requests?

> Howard Helbein

DHCP is "BOOTP Compatible" only in that it cleverly uses BOOTP as its
transport, allowing routers with BOOTP relay agents to relay DHCP messages.
The ability to serve BOOTP clients is an "added feature"
which DHCP servers may or may not include.  Likewise, a client can be written
that can do both, but the ability to use BOOTP is not built into DHCP by
default.  Microsoft's clients do not work with BOOTP servers.  If they
did, adopting their stacks & OS's would be much simpler for a lot of sites
that presently use BOOTP.

John Wobus
Syracuse University

Post by Mark H. Wo » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Hi.

>>I just got HellSoft's BOOTPD.NLM running today, and it works
>>great! However, it only works with our Trumpet Winsock and Mac
>>machines. I'd like to also do dynamic IP assignment to
>>Windows95 and Windows NT machines, which use DHCP.

> Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
> believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
> the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
> router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
> easily every time.

Go read the RFCs.  DHCP is an extension of BOOTP and meant to be compatible.
--

You are in a twisty little maze of hyperlinks, all useless.

Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

Post by Hansang B » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>default.  Microsoft's clients do not work with BOOTP servers.  If they
>did, adopting their stacks & OS's would be much simpler for a lot of sites
>that presently use BOOTP.

What *REALLY* pisses me off is that MS's TCP/IP for WFWG betas had bootp
support.  What the hell, we monly have two thousands devices using
bootp, I'think I'll switch it over to DHCP this weekend....yeah right!!!

| Hansang Bae, CNE  |  Network Engineer,  Providence Medical Ctr, WA |

Post by Matthew D. Sing » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
>believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
>the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
>router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
>easily every time.

Here at CWRU we use BOOTP and Windows95 does not like it.

We are trying to figure out what the problem is, but the documentation
is very scarce.

Post by James E. Dre » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>Well, although I've never seen any documentation supporting this, I
>>believe that the DHCP client in '95 is BOOTP compatible.  I base this on
>>the fact that I have never configured an IP address, netmask or default
>>router for my TCP/IP stack and my ISP only supports bootp.  I connect
>>easily every time.

>Here at CWRU we use BOOTP and Windows95 does not like it.

>We are trying to figure out what the problem is, but the documentation
>is very scarce.

The TCP/IP stack in Windows95 is NOT BOOTP complient.  It will only accept
DHCP requests.  DHCP is built on top of the BOOTP protocol.  DHCP Clients can
be written so that they will accept a BOOTP reply, but MS in their infinite
wisdom decided not to do so.

The main difference between DHCP and BOOTP is that DHCP "leases" the IP number
to a machine.  That is, the machine has a finite amount of time that it can
use the IP number it is given.  The protocol supports renewing of the TCP/IP
address as well.

And now for the advertising (sorry if I offend anyone by this).

I am working on a BOOTP/DHCP server for NetWare (NLM).  It will support both
static/dynamic IP numbers for both BOOTP/DHCP.  I am currently planning on
releasing the product in Mid-August and it is now in Beta testing.  Pricing
for the product isn't set yet (will be anywhere between $50-$250 per server).

netware newsgroups as I will be releasing the demo version (full product, just
expires after 30 days) on the internet.

Jim

Post by Leslie Mikese » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>default.  Microsoft's clients do not work with BOOTP servers.  If they
>>did, adopting their stacks & OS's would be much simpler for a lot of sites
>>that presently use BOOTP.

>What *REALLY* pisses me off is that MS's TCP/IP for WFWG betas had bootp
>support.  What the hell, we monly have two thousands devices using
>bootp, I'think I'll switch it over to DHCP this weekend....yeah right!!!

Actually you probably can if you do it with one of the patches to
the unix bootp server.  That way the same server will answer either
bootp or DHCP requests and will supply the same IP address to the
same machine even if you switch software.
There is one at ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/bootp/.

Les Mikesell

Post by Johnny AU-YEUNG [CTS » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Are you using PPP to connect to your ISP?  I beleive the IP assignment
: is being done by a function on the PPP protocol and not BOOTP or
: DHCP.  I have yet to to see a win '95 or NT client on our networks

  IP assignment is not a function on the PPP protocol. Actually, you can
run any protocol on PPP provided that the other side support it.
  Shiva's product is one example that runing IPX and Appletalk on top
of PPP.

--
Best Regards. / Johnny K.L. AU-YEUNG
                            ~~~~~~~~

| M.B.A., B.Sc.(Hons), CNE, Cert. Sex Ed.                                   |
|                                                                           |
| Computer Officer, Network Systems Section                                 |
| Computing & Telecommunications Services Centre, | 1q??1qTaA?      |
| Hong Kong Baptist University,                   | -????|j??            |
| 224 Waterloo Road,                              | Eso?|?1D 224 ?1     |
| Kowloon, Hong Kong.                             |                         |
| Tel 1q?: (852) 2339-7413 (Off ??3B)  Pager ???I: 110061705             |
| Fax ??u: (852) 2336-0514 (Off ??3B)  (852) 2546-4520 (Res |?a)        |
\***************************************************************************/

1. DHCP/BOOTP compatibility, New DHCP Server

Following quote from the Windows NT Networking Guide from MS' Windows
NT Resource Kit:

BOOTP is the bootstrap protocol used to configure systems across internetworks.
DHCP is an extension of BOOTP.  Although Microsoft DHCP Server does not
support BOOTP, it has no problem interoperating with an existing BOOTP
installation.  The DHCP server simply ignores BOOTP packets that it recieves.

End Quote.

SIMPLY IGNORES?

Does this mean that all of the PC's on my network which currently use
BOOTP, and all of my HP printers, which can ONLY use BOOTP, cannot
use an NT DHCP server??????  The DHCP protocol was created to be backward
compatible with BOOTP, though now it looks like MS DHCP is not the
normal DHCP.

If I wanted to use a new network configuration protocol that was
incompatible with everything that I am currently using, I could have
created it myself.

Is there another DHCP server built to be compatible with BOOTP requests
which runs on NT?

Micah O'Connor
Investment Management Services
New York, NY

2. Multiple Windows

3. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server ?Routable ?

4. POWER-SELLING ON YOUR HANDS

5. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

6. Clipboard

7. Microsoft support for DHCP and BootP (was TCP/IP Service & BootP)

8. Win ME single USB mouse click sometime behave like double click.

9. Migrating bootp to DHCP server

10. Bootp/DHCP on windows NT 3.51 Server

11. DHCP or BOOTP server

12. Any BOOTP server for NT (NOT NOT NOT DHCP)

13. bootp client (Win31/DOS) requests IP address from DHCP server