Casio A-10 problem

Post by Ted Kerr » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have a Cassiopeia A-10.  Using the supplied cable, I have been
synchronizing it with my desktop at work.  I recently purchased the longer
cable from Casio to synchronize with my home PC.  I attempted to connect
with my home PC and was unsuccessful. Thinking the cable was defective, I
went to my office and tried to connect to my desktop there.  The A-10 would
not connect!  I cannot understand what happened.  I tried everything, and
finally one thing seemed to work.  I removed BOTH batteries from the A-10,
waited a while, and then reinserted them.  I then reset the unit and
attempted to connect to my office PC.  It made the connection and asked if I
wished to restore my backup file (removing the batteries wiped the HPC).  I
allowed it to restore, and removed and reset the unit.  After that, IT WILL
NOT CONNECT AGAIN!!!!!!!

Any ideas???

****
Ted Kerrn

Casio A-10 problem

Post by Mroczkowsk » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
You've probably restored an older, faster connect speed into the A-10.  This
is activated when you restart your HP/C after a restore.  Be sure that both
the desktop and HP/C baud rates are matched.  (This has happened to me too.)
-Cheers, Hank
================================

>I have a Cassiopeia A-10.  Using the supplied cable, I have been
>synchronizing it with my desktop at work.  I recently purchased the longer
>cable from Casio to synchronize with my home PC.  I attempted to connect
>with my home PC and was unsuccessful. Thinking the cable was defective, I
>went to my office and tried to connect to my desktop there.  The A-10 would
>not connect!  I cannot understand what happened.  I tried everything, and
>finally one thing seemed to work.  I removed BOTH batteries from the A-10,
>waited a while, and then reinserted them.  I then reset the unit and
>attempted to connect to my office PC.  It made the connection and asked if
>wished to restore my backup file (removing the batteries wiped the HPC).  I
>allowed it to restore, and removed and reset the unit.  After that, IT WILL
>NOT CONNECT AGAIN!!!!!!!

>Any ideas???

>****
>Ted Kerrn

Casio A-10 problem

Post by R. Schneide » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Any ideas???

I also had a Cassiopeia A-10, and I sometimes also had the
problem, that connection suddenly was no longer possible.

Resetting also didnt help, so I did the same as you, removed
the batteries and after that I had to restore all datas from the
dekstop (a very funny work :-( ) . And by that way I get used to
make a backup nearly every day, because I never knew, when
the connection problem will occur again.

But someday I found out, that in my case this was not a problem
of the PC or the software (as I had assumed).
No, it was a problem of  the Cassiopeia itself!
For any reason (I never found out why...) the Casiopeia sometimes
'forgot' his integrated COM port! You can see this, when you look
at the folder 'PC Connection' in the Control Panel. Or when you try
to create a new connection with the Remote Networking - there is
simply no COM1 available, which you could choose as a connection
port!
After detecting this failure, I resetted the Cassiopeia, as I would normaly
do when a communication port on my PC is failed. But this doesnt
work - the port was lost! The only way to get it back, was to make
the 'hard reset' and to remove all batteries... :-((

After this happened a second time, I called the Casio hotline (in
Germany, where I live) and told them about this problem. But the
couldnt help me, because the A-10 was never officially sold in
Germany and so they had no experience with it.

So I took the consequence and sold the Cassiopeia.
Now Im a lucky owner of a Philips Velo, and Im really astonished
that until now I did not have to make any restore - the velo works
since his first installation since more than two months now!

R. Schneider