IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Jim » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 05:18:09

Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately after
reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing running
except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I get the
"BROWSEUI.DLL error".
Anyone have another suggestion?  Regards, JimJ

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Noel Pato » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 05:49:41

Jim
Sorry to hear that didn't fix it :-(
OK
Please reproduce the problem, and post the EXACT wording of the error
message - all the references I can find refer to the error being the other
way around (IE causing error in Browseui)
Meanwhile - have a look at this KB article and see if it applies
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983

Good Luck

--
Noel Paton

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Quote:> Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately after
> reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing running
> except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I get
the
> "BROWSEUI.DLL error".
> Anyone have another suggestion?  Regards, JimJ

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Jim » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 06:32:47

MS Q218983 refers to 95, 98, and NT.   But I'll be darned if "Favorites"
isn't working now!!!
While here, may I ask about conflicts between ME, IE6, ver#, etc.?  It
appears that ME does not exactly care for IE6, or am I being misled by this
infernal machine?  Regards, Jim
P.S.- I do not have faith that that error will not return and will post as
soon as it does with your requested info...

> Jim
> Sorry to hear that didn't fix it :-(
> OK
> Please reproduce the problem, and post the EXACT wording of the error
> message - all the references I can find refer to the error being the other
> way around (IE causing error in Browseui)
> Meanwhile - have a look at this KB article and see if it applies
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983

> Good Luck

> --
> Noel Paton

> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> > Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately
after
> > reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing running
> > except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I get
> the
> > "BROWSEUI.DLL error".
> > Anyone have another suggestion?  Regards, JimJ

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Jim » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 06:40:37

OK, as expected, one shot is all I had, now the error has returned.  Yes,
you are correct; "IExplore has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL.  Iexplore
will now close.   If you continue to experience problems, try restarting
your computer."
Am I crazy to suspect that it is a problem caused by upgrading from IE5.5 to
IE6?  It would seem likely that some registry entries were not properly
changed during that operation.
But as I have said, "regedit /fix" did nothing, re-installing IE did
nothing, and IE repair did nothing.
So........the saga continues<G>  Regards, Jim

> MS Q218983 refers to 95, 98, and NT.   But I'll be darned if "Favorites"
> isn't working now!!!
> While here, may I ask about conflicts between ME, IE6, ver#, etc.?  It
> appears that ME does not exactly care for IE6, or am I being misled by
this
> infernal machine?  Regards, Jim
> P.S.- I do not have faith that that error will not return and will post as
> soon as it does with your requested info...

> > Jim
> > Sorry to hear that didn't fix it :-(
> > OK
> > Please reproduce the problem, and post the EXACT wording of the error
> > message - all the references I can find refer to the error being the
other
> > way around (IE causing error in Browseui)
> > Meanwhile - have a look at this KB article and see if it applies
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983

> > Good Luck

> > --
> > Noel Paton

> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > > Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately
> after
> > > reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing
running
> > > except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I
get
> > the
> > > "BROWSEUI.DLL error".
> > > Anyone have another suggestion?  Regards, JimJ

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Noel Pato » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:23:20

OK - in that case, first try the fix in that link
If that doesn't work, then try this set of fixes (in this order, please)
from Jim Byrd. Iknow you've done some of them before, but sometimes the
order in which things get done can make a difference.
JIM'S SPIEL
This is my standard spiel about install problems like yours.  There
are three things you might want to check.  In any of these install fixes, to
quote Steve Cochran, "It is essential that no "interfering" software be
running during the install and subsequent reboot.  This is particularly true
of antivirus software.  Most or many of the corrupt installs involve
installations while AV or other software is loaded and these prevent the
ability of the setup process to upgrade dlls, and consequently installations
fail or are incomplete."  In addition, I would suggest disabling ALL Norton
software, particularly System Doctor, if present.

Fix # 1:  Try running ie6setup in Safe Mode.  This was suggested by
Microsoft Support to one correspondent and worked for him after he had tried
the fixes described below.  If it doesn't for you then try the following.

Fix # 2:  First, make sure in Win Explorer/Tools/FolderOptions/View that you
show hidden and system files and show extensions.  If your OS is NT, then
you MUST be logged on as Administrator both to install and for the first
reboot.  Based on my own experience, I believe this is also a good practice
for Win2k, but MS does not say it's required in that case.

Look in your c:\windows\inf folder and see if you find any files named
oemxx.inf which have a length of 0 (zero), where the xx can be any number.
There could be potentially many thousands.  If you do, you need to erase
these.  To do this, first select the c:\windows\inf folder, then hit Search.
In the Search pane on the left, enter oem*.inf and down at the bottom click
Size and At Most and 1 (one).  Then do Search.  When it finishes, you should
have all of the zero length oemxx.inf files listed in the right pane along
with possibly some of size 1K.  Do CNTL A to select all of them.  Now hold
down CNTL while you click on (de-select) all of those at the top that are
1K, so the only the 0K size files are left selected.  Now hold down SHIFT
and click DELETE to delete the zero length oemxx.inf files without sending
them to the Recycle Bin.  It will take some time if you've a lot of these
files, so be patient.  You'll know when it's done.

Now re-start your computer into DOS and run Scandisk C:, fixing any errors.
If you're not NT or Win2k, also run Scanreg /fix.  Re-boot to Windows and
defrag your computer (which will also probably take a little time), and try
your install again from Safe mode..  If it works, fine.

Fix # 3:  If not, or if you didn't have such zero length oemxx.inf type
files to start with, try the following.  Find the c:\program files\internet
explorer\uninstall information  folder (It may be named something slightly
different depending on your operating system, for example, just Uninstall in
WinME.)  It probably will be hidden, and you will have to un-hid it.  Right
click on the folder, select properties, then un-tick the Hidden attribute.
(If you don't have this folder, then create an empty one named:  c:\program
files\internet explorer\uninstall information -  now try your install again
in Safe mode, re-selecting all components, even those already bolded.  See
below.)

Now create a new empty folder and call it something like "IE Delete Backup".
Move the contents of the \uninstall information folder to the new folder you
created.  (Just the contents - leave the old folder there.)   Now try the
install again from the start in Safe mode, re-selecting all components, even
those already bolded, that you want using the Advanced option, and see if
this works.  It has in many, many cases, but not all.  If it doesn't, you
can just restore the files you saved in "IE Delete Backup".  Let us know how
you make out, so that if this doesn't help, perhaps someone else can suggest
something else for you.  Regards, Jim Byrd

Good Luck

--
Noel Paton

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> OK, as expected, one shot is all I had, now the error has returned.  Yes,
> you are correct; "IExplore has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL.  Iexplore
> will now close.   If you continue to experience problems, try restarting
> your computer."
> Am I crazy to suspect that it is a problem caused by upgrading from IE5.5
> IE6?  It would seem likely that some registry entries were not properly
> changed during that operation.
> But as I have said, "regedit /fix" did nothing, re-installing IE did
> nothing, and IE repair did nothing.
> So........the saga continues<G>  Regards, Jim

> > MS Q218983 refers to 95, 98, and NT.   But I'll be darned if "Favorites"
> > isn't working now!!!
> > While here, may I ask about conflicts between ME, IE6, ver#, etc.?  It
> > appears that ME does not exactly care for IE6, or am I being misled by
> this
> > infernal machine?  Regards, Jim
> > P.S.- I do not have faith that that error will not return and will post
as
> > soon as it does with your requested info...

> > > Jim
> > > Sorry to hear that didn't fix it :-(
> > > OK
> > > Please reproduce the problem, and post the EXACT wording of the error
> > > message - all the references I can find refer to the error being the
> other
> > > way around (IE causing error in Browseui)
> > > Meanwhile - have a look at this KB article and see if it applies
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983

> > > Good Luck

> > > --
> > > Noel Paton

> > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's

> > after
> running
> get
> > > the

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Jim » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:26:14

OK, I tried all of the instructions.  (only Systray and Explorer running)
No change.  Clicking on "Favorites" , "Add" , "Organize" worked OK one time,
then error.
 However, I do not understand "first try the fix in that link".  Explanation
would be appreciated.
Next, I opened a second IE window, clicked "Favorites", and got the
"Iexplore has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL.So I still do not know what
the heck is going on!
P.S. Why does <http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post >  say to not
post in HTML?.....
 Regards, Jim
------------------

[...]

-- Noel Paton Nil Carborundum Illegitemi Please read
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's "Jim J"

OK, as expected, one shot is all I had, now the error has returned.  Yes,
you are correct; "IExplore has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL.  Iexplore
will now close.  If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your
computer."
Am I crazy to suspect that it is a problem caused by upgrading from IE5.5 to
IE6?  It would seem likely that some registry entries were not properly
changed during that operation.
But as I have said, "regedit /fix" did nothing, re-installing IE did
nothing, and IE repair did nothing.
So........the saga continues<G> Regards, Jim "Jim J"

[...]

Post by Noel Pato » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:24:00

Last question first
HTML posts tend to be frowned upon for three reasons:-
1) They take up twice the bandwidth, or more, that a text post does
2) They can carry embedded viruses, etc easier than text posts
3) Some NG readers can't (or can be set not to) read HTML posts - with the
result that your audience is lower, and the chances of getting a response
are therefore reduced (slightly).

'That link' was the
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983
one in my original reply, it doesn't mention ME, but it should work
nonetheless
However - reading it again, I see that it's not much use as a fix., so look
here
for more help
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q225040
The first two fixes are ones you've already tried - it's the last one that
may be applicable here - referring to Diamond tools. Even if you haven't got
them installed, it's worth doing the fix, as comctl32 may be being affected
by some other program.
You can use MSCONFIG to extract a new copy from the '\Windows Update Setup
FIles' folder, rather than SFC (which doesn't exist in ME).
If that repairs your error (even temporarily) then at least we've isolated
the problem!

Good Luck
--

"Jim J" <sunda...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> [...]

> and post the EXACT wording of the error message - all the references I can
> find refer to the error being the other way around (IE causing error in
> Browseui)
> Meanwhile - have a look at this KB article and see if it applies
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983 Good Luck
> -- Noel Paton Nil Carborundum Illegitemi Please read
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's "Jim J"
> <sunda...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately after
> reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing running
> except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I get
the
> "BROWSEUI.DLL error".

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Jim » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:10:35

 'That link' was the
[...]

Post by Jim » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:22:26

 'That link' was the
[...]

-
 Noel Paton
==========
OK Noel, I didn't get to the part about the MS article regarding the Diamon
InControl yet and may not have to.  Although a search brought up two
instances of "Comctl32.DLL" I think I found the problem.  I have always
opted to not have the IE shortcut on the desktop, only in the tool bar.  For
some reason I sought the properties of that tool bar IE icon and it was
pointing to IE5 !  So I went in and renamed the IE5 install.exe and after a
reboot, I have had no trouble with "Favorites".   Also regained the ability
to use the mail/message icon 'dropdown' (just to the left of print on the IE
toolbar) which I didn't even miss since I was fighting the "Favorites"
issue.
Thanks so much for all the time and energy you've spent.  It's been great.
P.S. - I am still going to move that "Comctl32.DLL" file.  Regards, Jim

IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Post by Noel Pato » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:17:32

Glad you seem to have got it fixed!
Do I understand that you've got IE6 _and_ IE5 installed? - that's a recipe
for disaster, unless they're in use by separate OS's
--
Noel Paton

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Quote:> 'That link' was the
>   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q218983
>  one in my original reply, it doesn't mention ME, but it should work
>  nonetheless
>  However - reading it again, I see that it's not much use as a fix., so
look
>  here
>  for more help
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q225040
>  The first two fixes are ones you've already tried - it's the last one
that
>  may be applicable here - referring to Diamond tools. Even if you haven't
> got
>  them installed, it's worth doing the fix, as comctl32 may be being
affected
>  by some other program.
>  You can use MSCONFIG to extract a new copy from the '\Windows Update
Setup
>  FIles' folder, rather than SFC (which doesn't exist in ME).
>  If that repairs your error (even temporarily) then at least we've
isolated
>  the problem!

>  Good Luck
> -
>  Noel Paton
> ==========
> OK Noel, I didn't get to the part about the MS article regarding the
Diamon
> InControl yet and may not have to.  Although a search brought up two
> instances of "Comctl32.DLL" I think I found the problem.  I have always
> opted to not have the IE shortcut on the desktop, only in the tool bar.
For
> some reason I sought the properties of that tool bar IE icon and it was
> pointing to IE5 !  So I went in and renamed the IE5 install.exe and after
> reboot, I have had no trouble with "Favorites".   Also regained the
ability
> to use the mail/message icon 'dropdown' (just to the left of print on the
IE
> toolbar) which I didn't even miss since I was fighting the "Favorites"
> issue.
> Thanks so much for all the time and energy you've spent.  It's been great.
> P.S. - I am still going to move that "Comctl32.DLL" file.  Regards, Jim

1. KERNAL32.DLL, COMCTL32.DLL & BROWSEUI.DLL

Hi Could some one help me please.

I have just installed Windows ME on a computer with A Clean Hard Drive, And
i keep getting the following error messages Expoler has caused an error on
Browseui.dll, Explorer will now close, And the same message with
Kernal32.DLL and COMCTL32.DLL.

The Computer spects are as follows

500 AMD Athlon Processor
64 MEg Memory
API Graphics card
14gig Hard Drive

Windows Me was installed on a blanck hard drive and the CPU has not been
overclocked,

Can any one help

2. Internet Explorer locking up on me

3. IE6 Needs Repair But Repairing it Doesn't Work

4. Programing

5. Will XP fix Browseui.dll error in Millinium?

6. CIH - The baddest virus since...????

7. browseui.dll/page fault error

8. only test

9. BROWSEUI.DLL error IE6 WinME

10. explorer has caused an error with browseui.dll

11. Error message BROWSEUI.DLL

12. browseui.dll error message

13. Error with BROWSEUI.DLL