Migrating bootp to DHCP server

Post by Theo E. Kuype » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have to migrate a bootp server under OpenVMS 6.2 to a DHCP server under WiNT
4.0. I wonder if there is a way to access the dhcp database with an external
database engine, such as Microsoft ACCESS. I really don't want to type in
every ip address I have, because that is to much work.

Somebody out there knows something about this?

Theo E. Kuypers
Medical Faculty, Utrecht University

Migrating bootp to DHCP server

Post by Dan Wi » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> I have to migrate a bootp server under OpenVMS 6.2 to a DHCP server under WiNT
> 4.0. I wonder if there is a way to access the dhcp database with an external
> database engine, such as Microsoft ACCESS. I really don't want to type in
> every ip address I have, because that is to much work.

> Somebody out there knows something about this?

Unlike BOOTP, DHCP doesn't require you to enter every IP address - you
can enter ranges.

If you're using MultiNet for OpenVMS, it includes a DHCP server.

-Dan Wing

1. DHCP/BOOTP compatibility, New DHCP Server

Following quote from the Windows NT Networking Guide from MS' Windows
NT Resource Kit:

BOOTP is the bootstrap protocol used to configure systems across internetworks.
DHCP is an extension of BOOTP.  Although Microsoft DHCP Server does not
support BOOTP, it has no problem interoperating with an existing BOOTP
installation.  The DHCP server simply ignores BOOTP packets that it recieves.

End Quote.

SIMPLY IGNORES?

Does this mean that all of the PC's on my network which currently use
BOOTP, and all of my HP printers, which can ONLY use BOOTP, cannot
use an NT DHCP server??????  The DHCP protocol was created to be backward
compatible with BOOTP, though now it looks like MS DHCP is not the
normal DHCP.

If I wanted to use a new network configuration protocol that was
incompatible with everything that I am currently using, I could have
created it myself.

Is there another DHCP server built to be compatible with BOOTP requests
which runs on NT?

Micah O'Connor
Investment Management Services
New York, NY

2. Having trouble recording sounds.

3. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server ?Routable ?

4. XP stops running at loading buffer WMP !!!HELP

5. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

6. XP:MCE Chats - Goood stuff!

7. Microsoft support for DHCP and BootP (was TCP/IP Service & BootP)

8. BOOT.INI ----- HELP PLEASE!

9. Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

10. Bootp/DHCP on windows NT 3.51 Server

11. DHCP or BOOTP server

12. Any BOOTP server for NT (NOT NOT NOT DHCP)

13. bootp client (Win31/DOS) requests IP address from DHCP server