remove "My network Places"

Post by occupad » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:10:13

On my WinME I just un/reinstalled my dial-up networking through
add/remove programs and now I have a "Enter your Network Password" box
at bootup and a "My Network Places" icon on my desktop. I don't know
what I did to creat these and I do not need them. How can I remove
them?

Thanks in advance for any replies

remove "My network Places"

Post by Steve Winogra » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:48:32

>On my WinME I just un/reinstalled my dial-up networking through
>add/remove programs and now I have a "Enter your Network Password" box
>at bootup and a "My Network Places" icon on my desktop. I don't know
>what I did to creat these and I do not need them. How can I remove
>them?

>Thanks in advance for any replies

Go to Control Panel | Network and remove "Client for Microsoft
Networks".  That will remove the network logon prompt and the "My
Network Places" icon.

But it might also prevent Windows from saving the password for your
dial-up Internet connection.  If that would be undesirable, don't
remove "Client for Microsoft Networks".  Instead, go to Control Panel
| Network and change the primary network logon to Windows Logon.  You
could then remove the icon using Tweak UI.  Go to Control Panel and
double click the TweakUI icon.  On the Desktop tab, un-check the "My
Network Places" box, click Apply, and exit with OK.

For information on how to download and install Tweak UI, see this
site:

http://www.microsoft.com/NTWorkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking...
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)

Sorry, but I don't give technical support by E-mail.
Please post all questions in the news group.

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
http://www.sohointer.net/winograd/faq.htm

MVPs are volunteers, not Microsoft employees.  See
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp for details.

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They are not
endorsed or controlled by Microsoft or anyone else.

remove "My network Places"

Post by occupad » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 01:04:40

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 02:48:32 -0600, Steve Winograd

>>On my WinME I just un/reinstalled my dial-up networking through
>>add/remove programs and now I have a "Enter your Network Password" box
>>at bootup and a "My Network Places" icon on my desktop. I don't know
>>what I did to creat these and I do not need them. How can I remove
>>them?

>>Thanks in advance for any replies

>Go to Control Panel | Network and remove "Client for Microsoft
>Networks".  That will remove the network logon prompt and the "My
>Network Places" icon.

>But it might also prevent Windows from saving the password for your
>dial-up Internet connection.  If that would be undesirable, don't
>remove "Client for Microsoft Networks".  Instead, go to Control Panel
>| Network and change the primary network logon to Windows Logon.  You
>could then remove the icon using Tweak UI.  Go to Control Panel and
>double click the TweakUI icon.  On the Desktop tab, un-check the "My
>Network Places" box, click Apply, and exit with OK.

>For information on how to download and install Tweak UI, see this
>site:

>http://www.microsoft.com/NTWorkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking...

Thank you for that informative reply.