DHCP server continually crashes the server

DHCP server continually crashes the server

Post by Roger Swee » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

We have an NT server at work that seems to have some big problems with
the DHCP server. In this last week, its twice now shut down this service
on us. You go into DHCP Manager, and double click on this machine, and it
says that it cant find "local Machine", and asks if you want to remove it.

You cant get into the scope, all the options are grey'd out. You go into
the control panel, into Services, and try to start it, and you get ERROR
2140 An internal NT error has occured. We looked up this error in the
manuals that came with the resource kit, and it says just that, an
internal error has occured. (No explanation on how to repair this. Thank
you for dealing with Microsoft). We've tried every suggestion on how to
get this service back up and nothing has worked, except for formatting
the partionion and reinstalling NT. (We worked on it for 3 hours, where
as a reinstall takes only 2)

This is extremly frustrating, and is really drawing up the questions of
NT stability. Nobody has touched the computer, and it does this on its
own twice in one week. the labs that we had attached to this server that
relied on its DHCP abilities have had to had their IP addressed hardcoded
in. We cant keep users accounts on the system since it has to be
reinstalled twice a week. the first time it crashed we figured it was our
fault. All the machines attached to it were removed except 3 for testing.
And again, when booting windows one morning all 3 came up with DHCP
errors. They had worked fine the day before.

Has any one else experienced this problem? And if so, how have you
corrected it? Is there something perhaps that we're doing to cause this
crash?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

----

/\  /\  /   /  /\    /  \   \  /  /  /\ \   Computer Hardware Technician
\/_ \ \ \/\ \/ \/_   \/\ \ \ \ \/ \/ \ \ \  New Caledonia College
 \ \ \/  \/  \/ \ \    /  \/\/  \/ \/ \ \/  Prince George BC, Canada
  Have a nice diurnal anomaly!

DHCP server continually crashes the server

Post by Pres » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

What are some of the setup settings, if you turn DHCP off does it
crash? Have you tried turning other apps off one at a time to see if
their are any conflicts? etc. etc.

In

>We have an NT server at work that seems to have some big problems with
>the DHCP server. In this last week, its twice now shut down this
service
>on us. You go into DHCP Manager, and double click on this machine, and
it
>says that it cant find "local Machine", and asks if you want to remove
it.

>You cant get into the scope, all the options are grey'd out. You go
into
>the control panel, into Services, and try to start it, and you get
ERROR
>2140 An internal NT error has occured. We looked up this error in the
>manuals that came with the resource kit, and it says just that, an
>internal error has occured. (No explanation on how to repair this.
Thank
>you for dealing with Microsoft). We've tried every suggestion on how
>get this service back up and nothing has worked, except for formatting
>the partionion and reinstalling NT. (We worked on it for 3 hours,
where
>as a reinstall takes only 2)

>This is extremly frustrating, and is really drawing up the questions
of
>NT stability. Nobody has touched the computer, and it does this on its
>own twice in one week. the labs that we had attached to this server
that
>relied on its DHCP abilities have had to had their IP addressed
hardcoded
>in. We cant keep users accounts on the system since it has to be
>reinstalled twice a week. the first time it crashed we figured it was
our
>fault. All the machines attached to it were removed except 3 for
testing.
>And again, when booting windows one morning all 3 came up with DHCP
>errors. They had worked fine the day before.

>Has any one else experienced this problem? And if so, how have you
>corrected it? Is there something perhaps that we're doing to cause
this
>crash?

>Thanks in advance.

>Roger

>----

>/\  /\  /   /  /\    /  \   \  /  /  /\ \   Computer Hardware
Technician
>\/_ \ \ \/\ \/ \/_   \/\ \ \ \ \/ \/ \ \ \  New Caledonia College
> \ \ \/  \/  \/ \ \    /  \/\/  \/ \/ \ \/  Prince George BC, Canada
>  Have a nice diurnal anomaly!

DHCP server continually crashes the server

Post by rmcmi.. » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>  Has any one else experienced this problem? And if so, how have you
>  corrected it? Is there something perhaps that we're doing to cause this
>  crash?

Apply the NT3.5 service pack 2 and I think your problem will go away.

Rob................

Post by Robert W. Matt » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
> Subject: Re: DHCP server continually crashes the server Date: 21
> Jun 1995 13:48:29 GMT

> srv1.freenet.calgary.ab.ca> NNTP-Posting-Host: cad104.cadvision.com

> >  Has any one else experienced this problem? And if so, how have
> >  you corrected it? Is there something perhaps that we're doing to
> >  cause this crash?

> Apply the NT3.5 service pack 2 and I think your problem will go away.

> Rob................

This didn't work for us. Our only solution was to move DHCP and WINS services
to a less stressed server (if you could call a Compaq Proliant with 128 Mb RAM
and a 350 Mb page file with only 50 users stressed). Our experience has show
that DHCP doesn't really like to run on hard working servers.

Regards,

Bob

Office of Foreign Missions                Phone  : 1-202-895-3579
U.S. Deptartment of State
Washington, DC

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Post by Roger Swee » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Date: 26 JUN 1995 14:01:41 GMT

> Newgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
> Subject: Re: DHCP server continually crashes the server

> We have the same problem on Proliant's 4000.
> Our DHCP server just crashed last night on NT 3.51 (not beta).
> 320MB RAM machine...

> : > >
> : > >  Has any one else experienced this problem? And if so, how have
> : > >  you corrected it? Is there something perhaps that we're doing to
> : > >  cause this crash?
> : > >
> : > Apply the NT3.5 service pack 2 and I think your problem will go away.
> : >

Great. I'll try this.

Quote:> : >
> : This didn't work for us. Our only solution was to move DHCP and WINS services
> : to a less stressed server (if you could call a Compaq Proliant with 128 Mb RAM
> : and a 350 Mb page file with only 50 users stressed). Our experience has show
> : that DHCP doesn't really like to run on hard working servers.

Blast, We only have the one server. I'll try service pack 2

----

Post by Robert W. Matt » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

writes:

> Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
> Subject: Re: DHCP server continually crashes the server Date: 26
> Jun 1995 14:01:41 GMT

> We have the same problem on Proliant's 4000.
> Our DHCP server just crashed last night on NT 3.51 (not beta).
> 320MB RAM machine...

> -Alok Kapoor

One thing we found was that Microsoft dropped the Proliant 2000 from their
hardware compatablity list because of problems (can't remember what they were)
between the hardware and NT. These problems may have migrated to the 4000. I
wonder if this is only a Compaq problem? This may not be the case, though,
since we are now running DHCP and WINS on a 16 Mb no-name clone that
definitely does NOT appear on Micrsoft's hardware compatability list. It
doesn't crash this server, but you do occasionally get the dreaded "unable to"
whatever, would you like to delete host local machine? We also have DHCP
running on an OLD Wang 386 PC. We have only one client on that network segment
and all is right with the world. I'm sure that problems will crop up as soon
as we add a few more DHCP clients.

Post by Alok Kapo » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

We have the same problem on Proliant's 4000.
Our DHCP server just crashed last night on NT 3.51 (not beta).
320MB RAM machine...

-Alok Kapoor

: > nd.reston.ans.net!news.sprintlink.net!Sunse

: > Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
: > Subject: Re: DHCP server continually crashes the server Date: 21

: ===========================================================================

: Office of Foreign Missions                Phone  : 1-202-895-3579
: U.S. Deptartment of State
: Washington, DC

: DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are strictly my own.
: ===========================================================================

1. Uninstall DCHP server on Win 2k server and use Linksys DHCP builtin server

I would like to use the DHCP server builtin to my Linksys Router.
This will enale me to share the broadband cable service with other
networks in my local office.  If some one is using a peer to peer
network, and the DHCP is disabled it will not work on the other
netowrks.  I think my only solution is to disable the dhcp server on
win 2k server and use the router dhcp server.  What do you think?

2. I wish to activate my window xp and to uninstall it again

3. cannot find the DHCP server under Windows 2000 server

4. Can receive, but can't send

5. not able to get my DSL working through my DHCP server (win2k server)

6. MAC CD-ROM on a PC???

7. WINS Server / DHCP Server

8. How to database a large network map?

9. DHCP Server and IP Address change of the server

10. Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

11. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server ?Routable ?

12. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

13. WinNT Server Dual-NIC DHCP client/server question!!