is it possible to get a browser to read a local file using an applet?

is it possible to get a browser to read a local file using an applet?

Post by olaf » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've been able to get the java applet reader to read a local file by calling
it with an argument to a local policy file I made using policytool, but
haven't been able to get netscape or IE to allow the applet to read the
file.  I'm trying to do this on Windows 95.  I've seen Sun's Java tutorial
pages, but the advice there only seems to apply to their applet reader
rather than to the browsers themselves.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any way to get JavaScript to read a local
file...everything I've suggests it can't be done.

Thanks, Olaf

is it possible to get a browser to read a local file using an applet?

Post by Dr. Greg Qui » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You need to go to the netscape developer site and read the documentation
relating to the netscape security model; this requires requesting access to
specific objects before actually accessing them. It's worked fine for me
in the limited amount of signed applets I've produced.
http://developer.netscape.com

:
: Alternatively, does anyone know of any way to get JavaScript to read a local
: file...everything I've suggests it can't be done.
:
: Thanks, Olaf
:
:
:

Computational Biology Group
The Burnham Institute
(formerly La Jolla Cancer Research Inst.)
10901 North Torrey Pines road
La Jolla
CA92037

Phone:(619) 646 3103