Strange PING results

Post by andro.. » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:12:44

Hello,
I am trying to fix this strange problem with our NT servers.
Just for background, we have two offices connected over an ISDN link.
All external traffic gets routed through our main office. We have a
Wins, DHCP and Mail server in each site.
When I ping BDC1 from any other server in our domain I get an address
which looks like it has come from a DNS entry and not our WINS
database, ie FQDN with wrong IP address.
If I ping BDC1 from a workstation or win9x PC it returns the correct
address.
If I ping BDC1 from itself it returns the correct address.
Has anyone seen this before?
AndyR

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Strange PING results

Post by mattme.. » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:45:34

Are you pinging using the name or the IP address?
If you are pinging using the name check you LMHOSTS file.  It may have
an entry for "BDC1" that is incorrect.  Or check your WINS server, it
may have a wrong entry.  Make sure that no other computer has the name
BDC1.  If there is an other computer with that name WINS will only
register one computer, even though you can ping both IP address only
the one registered with WINS will give a response if you try to ping
with the name.

Matt Meyer
MCSE

> Hello,
> I am trying to fix this strange problem with our NT servers.
> Just for background, we have two offices connected over an ISDN link.
> All external traffic gets routed through our main office. We have a
> Wins, DHCP and Mail server in each site.
> When I ping BDC1 from any other server in our domain I get an address
> which looks like it has come from a DNS entry and not our WINS
> database, ie FQDN with wrong IP address.
> If I ping BDC1 from a workstation or win9x PC it returns the correct
> address.
> If I ping BDC1 from itself it returns the correct address.
> Has anyone seen this before?
> AndyR

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Strange PING results

Post by andro.. » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:23:59

Hello,
Yes I am "pinging" the name!
We do not have a LMHOST file on any of the servers (or HOST).
The WINS database seems totally fine as all PC other than BDC's or
PDC's can resolve PING BDC1 to the correct ip address.
I did find an article from Microsoft about setting Primary and
Secondary Wins servers the same on all Wins servers (some bug with the
order in which the WINS service starts)although that fixed some
problems with network neighborhood browsing, it did not fix this one
with the PING results.
The result it does give is registered in our ISP's DNS database but is
not actually operational so I cannot see how it would register with our
WINS database.
AndyR

Post by Hansang Ba » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:45:19

>Yes I am "pinging" the name!
>We do not have a LMHOST file on any of the servers (or HOST).
>The WINS database seems totally fine as all PC other than BDC's or
>PDC's can resolve PING BDC1 to the correct ip address.
>I did find an article from Microsoft about setting Primary and
>Secondary Wins servers the same on all Wins servers (some bug with the
>order in which the WINS service starts)although that fixed some
>problems with network neighborhood browsing, it did not fix this one
>with the PING results.
>The result it does give is registered in our ISP's DNS database but is
>not actually operational so I cannot see how it would register with our
>WINS database.

ping will try to do a DNS resoluton first.  So you need to override this behaviour
or use HOSTS file.

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

1. Strange Ping Result from a dual-homed NT4.0

NIC-1:
name: webserver
ip:      199.44.193.2
card:   3c590

NIC-2:
name: faccnet
ip:      192.168.193.1
card:   SMC

Names-to-addresses are resolved correctly by DNS.
But, when I type

         ping webserver

I was told "pinging webserver.flclerks.com [192.168.193.1]", which is
wrong. When I type

         ping faccnet

the system will tell me "pinging faccnet.flclerks.com [192.168.193.1]",
which is correct.

This situation killed the proxy server I designed the NT4.0 to be. In place
of the net 192.168.193.0, an illegal net address was intended to be used,
taking advantage of the proxy. The wrong name-address mapping will offend
the ISP supplied router before the proxy could be set up.

Oh, help me!

2. Update 813489 & mshtml.dll

3. Can someone pleae explain these ping results?

4. printing

5. XP, 98, ping results AMMENDED

6. Constant Crashes using media

7. Router, XP, 98 ping results (Steve)

8. sending a webpage

9. Weird ping result

10. ping that give results in hundredths of a ms

11. weird ping result

12. PING command: WHat's this result about?

13. Strange results recording 16 bit audio using waveIn functions' family