ChemX under Wine?

Post by Dow Hurs » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am interested in running Chemical Design's package "Chem-X" under
Wine.  So far my attempts to run it result in an immediate crash after a
quick display of the main Chem-X window.  Would anyone be interested in
looking at the problem?  Also, what information would be helpful that I
could provide?  The package is a professional molecular modelling
program that many large companies use for drug design.  I use it
primarily for its nice visual representation of proteins for ligand
docking.  I have tried it under Wabi 2.2 and got errors on loading of
"wdbos.386 not loaded" or "ole2.dll not found".  Editing the system.ini
for lowercase vs uppercase names did not help the problem.  Since Wabi
2.2 is now a "dead" project to Sun, I thought appealing to the Wine
development group could be an option.  Thanks for your help,
Dow
--
Dow Hurst

Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Rd.                       office: 770-423-3428
Kennesaw, GA 30144                      fax:    770-423-6744
                                        home:   770-966-0035

ChemX under Wine?

Post by Cherilyn Michae » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I am interested in running Chemical Design's package "Chem-X" under
: Wine.  So far my attempts to run it result in an immediate crash after a
: quick display of the main Chem-X window.  Would anyone be interested in
: looking at the problem?  Also, what information would be helpful that I
: could provide?

At a minimum, the last few lines from -debugmsg +relay and the backtrace.
For more help on debugging problems, take a look at [documentation/debugging]
in the Wine distribution.

Also see http://www.winehq.com/ .

1. Horses for courses - why not Wine 3.11, Wine 95, Wine 98, Wine NT etc.?

Having unsuccessfully browsed around the Wine FAQ for an answer, forgive my
asking
this directly !

Wouldn't it make a certain amount of sense to have separate Wine projects
with
partially shared codebases, to realise compatibility with the different
flavours of Windows ?
[I have not inspected the codebase, so excuse me if this is already the
case.]

In this way, you are not aiming at a continually moving target, and the
feature set for the now-legacy Win 3.11, 95 and 98 should be fixed.
In addition, discontinued features or APIs could then be deleted from
support in newer platforms.

There would then be two components of Wine development effort:
1. to ensure 'absolute' compatibility with existing platforms
2. to extend for developing/unfinished platforms

Obviously the codebase should be set up to allow code which is partially
shared between targets on a file-by-file or subsystem basis, and some fairly
stringent guidelines/administration as to when a shared code line should be
split off into a target-specific variant.

The user of Wine would then opt to use the 'highest' level of compatibility
required for their application.

Regards,

Mike Whittaker

PS. the mailto links on the winehq.com pages don't work - not even
'postmaster', which RFC822 (?) says always should !

2. off-subject: setting up a router

3. Wine controls without wine?

4. internet explorer

5. wine: error while loading shared libraries: wine: undefined symbol: Callout

6. VK_TAB and VK_RETURN don't work with keybd_event - why?

7. Java and Wine (wine core dumps) ?

8. updating to win95 osr2.1

9. wine & codeweaver wine

10. return to wine from main pgm; then wine bombs

11. using " locate wine > wine.txt " at the text prompt

12. Running development wine, and not installed wine

13. /etc/wine/wine.conf problems