NT 4.0 server SP6a not routing

Post by Brent Atkerso » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 02:44:37

Hello all,
I recently installed an ISA adapter and an Orinoco Gold PC_CARD in an NT 4.0
SP6a server box and the same type of hardware in a Win98 machine and enabled
IP forwarding in the NT box.  I have the cards talking to each other.  The
wired side of the NT box communicates normally with the wired clients and
the wireless side communicates with the wireless clients, however the wired
clients can not talk to the wireless client and vice-versa.  Does anyone
have a clue what could be wrong?  I have already been on the phone (for
about 1.5 hours) with CDW (the company we bought the wireless hardware from)
and they are continuing to work on it.  I can ping the wireless client by
name or address with no errors and I can ping the wired clients by name or
address with no errors from the NT box.  If I try Start>Find>Computers, on
the NT box, I can find anything on the wired network but can *not find
anything* on the wireless side.

Hardware is;

HP Netserver E60 with integrated 10/100 network card PII/400, 640 MB RAM...

NT 4.0 server SP6a not routing

Post by Al » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:54:29

Hi,

Can you ping the wireless adapter IP (in the server) from any client on the
wired side? If not then its a basic routing problem - i.e. NT isn't
forwarding to that card. Given that NT isn't corrupt (and you have ticked
the routing box) then it may be the driver causing issues.

al.

Quote:> Hello all,
> I recently installed an ISA adapter and an Orinoco Gold PC_CARD in an NT
4.0
> SP6a server box and the same type of hardware in a Win98 machine and
enabled
> IP forwarding in the NT box.  I have the cards talking to each other.  The
> wired side of the NT box communicates normally with the wired clients and
> the wireless side communicates with the wireless clients, however the
wired
> clients can not talk to the wireless client and vice-versa.  Does anyone
> have a clue what could be wrong?  I have already been on the phone (for
> about 1.5 hours) with CDW (the company we bought the wireless hardware
from)
> and they are continuing to work on it.  I can ping the wireless client by
> name or address with no errors and I can ping the wired clients by name or
> address with no errors from the NT box.  If I try Start>Find>Computers, on
> the NT box, I can find anything on the wired network but can *not find
> anything* on the wireless side.

> Hardware is;

> HP Netserver E60 with integrated 10/100 network card PII/400, 640 MB
RAM...

NT 4.0 server SP6a not routing

Post by Brent Atkerso » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:19:13

Well (egg on my face and the fact I am not an NT Super Guru), it was an
issue of default gateways not being in the correct order and not re-applying
the latest service pack.
Thanks for your help,
Brent

> Hi,

> Can you ping the wireless adapter IP (in the server) from any client on
the
> wired side? If not then its a basic routing problem - i.e. NT isn't
> forwarding to that card. Given that NT isn't corrupt (and you have ticked
> the routing box) then it may be the driver causing issues.

> al.

> > Hello all,
> > I recently installed an ISA adapter and an Orinoco Gold PC_CARD in an NT
> 4.0
> > SP6a server box and the same type of hardware in a Win98 machine and
> enabled
> > IP forwarding in the NT box.  I have the cards talking to each other.
The
> > wired side of the NT box communicates normally with the wired clients
and
> > the wireless side communicates with the wireless clients, however the
> wired
> > clients can not talk to the wireless client and vice-versa.  Does anyone
> > have a clue what could be wrong?  I have already been on the phone (for
> > about 1.5 hours) with CDW (the company we bought the wireless hardware
> from)
> > and they are continuing to work on it.  I can ping the wireless client
by
> > name or address with no errors and I can ping the wired clients by name
or
> > address with no errors from the NT box.  If I try Start>Find>Computers,
on
> > the NT box, I can find anything on the wired network but can *not find
> > anything* on the wireless side.

> > Hardware is;

> > HP Netserver E60 with integrated 10/100 network card PII/400, 640 MB
> RAM...

NT 4.0 server SP6a not routing

Post by Brent Atkerso » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 01:50:30

I am able to ping from the wireless client to the wired card in the NT box.
WinNT can ping the 3Com LANmodem fine, however, I am not able to ping the
modem from the wireless client.  From within WinNT (Start>Find>Computer) I
can instantly find anything on the wired side and NOTHING on the wired side.

NT Box:
   wired NIC address is  192.168.1.xx
            default gateway  192.168.2.xx  (wireless card in NT box)
           backup gateway  192.168.1.xx  (LANmodem)
             subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

wireless card address is  192.168.2.xx
            default gateway  192.168.1.xx (wired card in NT box)
           backup gateway  192.168.1.xx (LANmodem)
             subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

wireless client is             192.168.2.xx
           default gateway  192.168.2.xx (wireless card in NT box)
          backup gateway  192.168.1.xx (LANmodem)
            subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance,
Brent

> Well (egg on my face and the fact I am not an NT Super Guru), it was an
> issue of default gateways not being in the correct order and not
re-applying
> the latest service pack.
> Thanks for your help,
> Brent

> > Hi,

> > Can you ping the wireless adapter IP (in the server) from any client on
> the
> > wired side? If not then its a basic routing problem - i.e. NT isn't
> > forwarding to that card. Given that NT isn't corrupt (and you have
ticked
> > the routing box) then it may be the driver causing issues.

> > al.

> > > Hello all,
> > > I recently installed an ISA adapter and an Orinoco Gold PC_CARD in an
NT
> > 4.0
> > > SP6a server box and the same type of hardware in a Win98 machine and
> > enabled
> > > IP forwarding in the NT box.  I have the cards talking to each other.
> The
> > > wired side of the NT box communicates normally with the wired clients
> and
> > > the wireless side communicates with the wireless clients, however the
> > wired
> > > clients can not talk to the wireless client and vice-versa.  Does
anyone
> > > have a clue what could be wrong?  I have already been on the phone
(for
> > > about 1.5 hours) with CDW (the company we bought the wireless hardware
> > from)
> > > and they are continuing to work on it.  I can ping the wireless client
> by
> > > name or address with no errors and I can ping the wired clients by
name
> or
> > > address with no errors from the NT box.  If I try

Start>Find>Computers,

Quote:> on
> > > the NT box, I can find anything on the wired network but can *not find
> > > anything* on the wireless side.

> > > Hardware is;

> > > HP Netserver E60 with integrated 10/100 network card PII/400, 640 MB
> > RAM...

NT 4.0 server SP6a not routing

Post by bla » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:55:07

your default gateway generally has to be on the same subnet as the one
you're on.    can you ping the default gateway?  tracert?

I bet what you need you need a static route defined in the client
machines so they can find their way to anything else other than their
default gateway

I am not familiar with a LANmodem, but if it has an ip address, it
would need to be defined as an ethernet interface in NT or I don't see
how NT could route traffic to it, especially as a 'backup gateway'.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:50:30 -0500, "Brent Atkerson"

>I am able to ping from the wireless client to the wired card in the NT box.
>WinNT can ping the 3Com LANmodem fine, however, I am not able to ping the
>modem from the wireless client.  From within WinNT (Start>Find>Computer) I
>can instantly find anything on the wired side and NOTHING on the wired side.

the browsing does not work because you need a lmhosts entry, or a
master browser in each subnet. (or have your NT server be a member of
a workgroup on both subnets(   by default you cannot browse across
subnets in microsoft networking using ip

>NT Box:
>   wired NIC address is  192.168.1.xx
>            default gateway  192.168.2.xx  (wireless card in NT box)
>           backup gateway  192.168.1.xx  (LANmodem)
>             subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

>wireless card address is  192.168.2.xx
>            default gateway  192.168.1.xx (wired card in NT box)
>           backup gateway  192.168.1.xx (LANmodem)
>             subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

>wireless client is             192.168.2.xx
>           default gateway  192.168.2.xx (wireless card in NT box)
>          backup gateway  192.168.1.xx (LANmodem)
>            subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

>Any suggestions?
>Many thanks in advance,
>Brent

>> Well (egg on my face and the fact I am not an NT Super Guru), it was an
>> issue of default gateways not being in the correct order and not
>re-applying
>> the latest service pack.
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Brent

>> > Hi,

>> > Can you ping the wireless adapter IP (in the server) from any client on
>> the
>> > wired side? If not then its a basic routing problem - i.e. NT isn't
>> > forwarding to that card. Given that NT isn't corrupt (and you have
>ticked
>> > the routing box) then it may be the driver causing issues.

>> > al.

>NT
>> > 4.0
>> > enabled
>> The
>> and
>> > wired
>anyone
>(for
>> > from)
>> by
>name
>> or
>Start>Find>Computers,
>> on

>> > RAM...

NT 4.0 server SP6a not routing

Post by Brent Atkerso » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:34:58

Please see comments inline.

Quote:> your default gateway generally has to be on the same subnet as the one
> you're on.    can you ping the default gateway?  tracert?

It is this morning.  No I can not ping the gateway from the wireless client.

Quote:

> I bet what you need you need a static route defined in the client
> machines so they can find their way to anything else other than their
> default gateway

Please forgive my ignorance, but what would my route command look like?

Quote:

> I am not familiar with a LANmodem, but if it has an ip address, it
> would need to be defined as an ethernet interface in NT or I don't see
> how NT could route traffic to it, especially as a 'backup gateway'.

My LANmodem does have an ip address and that address is the default gateway
address of the wired card in the NT box.  Is that what you mean by "would
need to be defined as an ethernet interface in NT"?

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:50:30 -0500, "Brent Atkerson"

> >I am able to ping from the wireless client to the wired card in the NT
box.
> >WinNT can ping the 3Com LANmodem fine, however, I am not able to ping the
> >modem from the wireless client.  From within WinNT (Start>Find>Computer)
> >can instantly find anything on the wired side and NOTHING on the wired
side.

> the browsing does not work because you need a lmhosts entry, or a
> master browser in each subnet. (or have your NT server be a member of
> a workgroup on both subnets(   by default you cannot browse across
> subnets in microsoft networking using ip

Please forgive my ignorance again, but what would my LMHosts entry look
like?  The NT box is the master browser and was a member of the workgroups
in both subnets (the wrokgroup is the same for wired and wireless subnets
which are now the same subnet

)

> >NT Box:
> >   wired NIC address is  192.168.1.xx
> >            default gateway  192.168.2.xx  (wireless card in NT box)
> >           backup gateway  192.168.1.xx  (LANmodem)
> >             subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

> >wireless card address is  192.168.2.xx
> >            default gateway  192.168.1.xx (wired card in NT box)
> >           backup gateway  192.168.1.xx (LANmodem)
> >             subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

> >wireless client is             192.168.2.xx
> >           default gateway  192.168.2.xx (wireless card in NT box)
> >          backup gateway  192.168.1.xx (LANmodem)
> >            subnet mask of  255.255.255.0

> >Any suggestions?
> >Many thanks in advance,
> >Brent

> >> Well (egg on my face and the fact I am not an NT Super Guru), it was an
> >> issue of default gateways not being in the correct order and not
> >re-applying
> >> the latest service pack.
> >> Thanks for your help,
> >> Brent

> >> the
> >ticked

> >NT
> >> The
> >> and
> >anyone
> >(for
> >> by
> >name
> >> or
> >Start>Find>Computers,
> >> on

MB

1. IE 6.0 Filters on NT 4.0 SP6a not working

I have a problem with the IE filters, which do not work at
all on my NT 4.0 system.

The filters can be tested at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/dhtml/DXT
idemo/DXTidemo.htm

I have the following DLLs installed:

DXTMSFT.DLL ... 351,232 bytes
DXTRANS.DLL ... 187,392 bytes

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Kind Regards,
Craig.

2. IE6 - clear cache on exit...

3. Fw: Killing NT 4.0 (HOT FIXES or NOT / SP6a)

4. Problems With NT & Access Databases

5. NT Server 4.0 and laptop NT workstation 4.0 not talking...

6. Folders

7. Upgrading from NT Server 4.0 beta 2 to NT Server 4.0 release version

8. WinMe Networking....

9. NT authentication from a local windows NT 4.0 Wks to a NT Server 4.0

10. NT 4.0 Routing List Loses Default Route

11. RAS, IP Routing, NT Server 4.0, and WinGate

12. LAN-to-LAN Routing Problem under NT 4.0 Server.

13. How to enable Routing in Windows NT 4.0 Server ?