HELP HELP HELP - cant start any application - IM DESPERATE

HELP HELP HELP - cant start any application - IM DESPERATE

Post by Mark Stotze » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

How about unistalling Norton antivirus and then reinstalling it or
Netscape?

>HELP ME PLEASE.(win95)
>when i try to start any application instead of starting
>it launches the antivirus file navw32.exe (norton antivirus)
>i found out that all my exe files are associated with navw32.exe
>which i cant start either cause its an exe file
>HOW DO I CANCEL THIS ASSOCIATION?????????????

>the only way i can start an application is by starting
>the file associated with that application
>(i clicked on an html file to start my browser)

>the problem started when i wanted netscape communicator to to launch
>navw32.exe every time i download an exe fileso it could be scaned
>before it is saved (that is made through the
>edit/preferences/applications menu)
>it some how affected my OS and now the situation is as i explained.

>if you can help me with any information on how to fix this ill be very
>gratefull.
>i tried to look inside the win.ini file where all the file
associations
>are listed
>but there is no association for exe files so there is nothing to fix.

>i contacted some so called experts and they said i had to install
>windows95 again
>but that means installing all my applications all over again some of
>which i dont have
>and also i might loose tons of data.

>PLEASE HELP ME. IM IN DESPERATE NEED.

>THNAK YOU!

For help, tips and links for DOS, Windows 95 or Win 3.x see my   *
"DOS/Windows Help Page": http://pw2.netcom.com/~stotzerm/help.html

Post by Jerome M. Ka » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>HELP ME PLEASE.(win95)
>when i try to start any application instead of starting
>it launches the antivirus file navw32.exe (norton antivirus)
>i found out that all my exe files are associated with navw32.exe
>which i cant start either cause its an exe file
>HOW DO I CANCEL THIS ASSOCIATION?????????????

>the only way i can start an application is by starting
>the file associated with that application
>(i clicked on an html file to start my browser)

>the problem started when i wanted netscape communicator to to launch
>navw32.exe every time i download an exe fileso it could be scaned
>before it is saved (that is made through the
>edit/preferences/applications menu)
>it some how affected my OS and now the situation is as i explained.

>if you can help me with any information on how to fix this ill be very
>gratefull.
>i tried to look inside the win.ini file where all the file associations
>are listed
>but there is no association for exe files so there is nothing to fix.

>i contacted some so called experts and they said i had to install
>windows95 again
>but that means installing all my applications all over again some of
>which i dont have
>and also i might loose tons of data.

>PLEASE HELP ME. IM IN DESPERATE NEED.

>THNAK YOU!

There is a file available from the Symantec web site
(www.symantec.com) to turn off the Norton anti-virus scan for
Netscape. The file name is NAV_SCAN_OFF.REG. This will modify your
registry to remove the scan. Then you can also download the file
NAV_SCAN_ON.REG which will turn on that scan correctly. The only
problem with these is that they only work if Norton AV is installed in
its normal directory.

Hope this helps you (If you can't get the file, e-mail me and I will
attach the files).

                  Jerry

Post by ME » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Go ahead and reinstall Windows. You won't lose any apps.

Quote:

> i contacted some so called experts and they said i had to install
> windows95 again
> but that means installing all my applications all over again some of
> which i dont have
> and also i might loose tons of data.

HELP HELP HELP - cant start any application - IM DESPERATE

Post by j.. » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

If you're desperate, use your real email address.
js

Quote:>Go ahead and reinstall Windows. You won't lose any apps.

>> i contacted some so called experts and they said i had to install
>> windows95 again
>> but that means installing all my applications all over again some of
>> which i dont have
>> and also i might loose tons of data.

HELP HELP HELP - cant start any application - IM DESPERATE

Post by crlb » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

it depends do you have a real win 95 cd or is all of your software on
one disk, if you don't have the actual win95 cd you might try
uninstalling the offending program then reinstall windows in dos mode
THESE INSTRUCTIONS are for windows 95b it worked for me but every
situation is different, ask others on this news group before you do
this. For windows 95B i typed the following command.

CD C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS>PURGE

this should not effect to much of your software but here are some
possible problems you will lose the ability to automatically  remove
some programs that are currently in your control panel\add remove
programs, if the drives on your computer have non standard drive letters
they may be changed (My cdrom used to be Q: but was  changed to D:)
these instructions are for osr2 ( win 95B ) PURGE is actually setup.exe
when you look at the properties.

i ran into the same problem because my copy of windows is bundled on one
disk with all of the rest of the software and any time i reload from
that disk it reformats my hard drive
bounce this advice off of others before you use it,
c:\windows\options\cabs contains a complete copy of win95 unless some
one has messed with it, you will be prompted if setup finds newer
versions of files on your hard drive you will have to decide which to
keep.

> Go ahead and reinstall Windows. You won't lose any apps.

> > i contacted some so called experts and they said i had to install
> > windows95 again
> > but that means installing all my applications all over again some of

> > which i dont have
> > and also i might loose tons of data.

HELP HELP HELP - cant start any application - IM DESPERATE

Post by N/ » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Try this:

Open "my computer", go to the "view" menu and select "options"
Then select the "file types" tab.  Find the association for ".exe" in the list
and remove it.

Post by Bill Vele » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >Go ahead and reinstall Windows. You won't lose any apps.

> >> i contacted some so called experts and they said i had to install
> >> windows95 again
> >> but that means installing all my applications all over again some of
> >> which i dont have
> >> and also i might loose tons of data.

Regarding the above advice to "Go ahead and reinstall Windows. You won't
lose any apps", are you sure that this is correct.  I'm not all that
knowledgable about computers, so I hate to second guess anyone, but it
seems to me that most if not all of my applications have modified some
Windows files, such as the registry and some .ini files.  Now, if I were
to simply reinstall Windows, wouldn't I overwrite those files and thus
be required to reinstall the apps in order to fix the registry and .ini
files?  Or does the Windows installation give you the option of keeping
the old registry and .ini files?  And if so, how can you be sure that
they are not corrupt files?

I'd sure like to know for a fact that it can be done because I've had
trouble a couple of times that caused me to finally reload Windows and
I've then gone to the trouble of loading each and every application
because I assumed that this would be necessary.

Can anyone confirm *POSITIVELY* that the apps don't need to be reloaded?

--
PLEASE NOTE: if you send a reply or copy any posting to my e-mail
address, you should first remove any NO_SPAM_ leader that might

1. HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

I am running a 3.51 NT server which runs a domain on a LAN. Before it was
running as a domain server, it was working as a workgroup server and I got the
FTP server to work perfectly well. I later changed to a domain server, and I
just can't get the ftp server to work, even after re-installing the ftp
service. The users can connect to the server, but when after trying to login
via anonymous login,  the message : user "e-mail address" cannot login to the
server.

This also happens to valid users on the server. What could I be doing wrong,
could somebody kindly help me???

Moses M. Otyek
Systems Engineer
InfoMail (Uganda) Ltd.
http://www.imul.com
Tel:256-41-258361
Fax:256-41-236256
** INFOMAIL - THE GATEWAY TO UGANDA **

2. Workstation problems...

3. Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Please

4. Replacement COA Label - Chassis Damaged

5. help im im a newbie and im stuck!

6. how to add a button to ie toolbar?

7. sending pictures by email..help please im desperate!!

8. Missing Menu and tool bars in IE 6

9. where has my D drive gone help please im desperate

10. help - getting netscape 2.0 to work with 16bit internet connection and win95 (Im desperate)

11. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

12. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP PLEASE

13. HELP...DESPERATE>> CANT LOAD XP