10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by eric brew » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

when I defragged today I saw a large clump of unmovable files which
was about 10 megs big.  It's not the swap file.  Can't find it in file
manager.  Anyone know how I can find out what it is?  It's a wfwg 3.11
machine with dos 6.21.
Thanks, Eric

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Craig Cockbur » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Have you tried looking at the filenames through defrag. Use Walk Map to
> identify .

Walk Map? That's not available on my defrag (MS-DOS 6.22) - what are you
using? I'd love to find out what all those X's mean on my defrag disk map!

--
Craig*burn (pronounced "coburn"), Edinburgh, Scotland
Web pages under development - watch this space

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Jeff Colli » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: when I defragged today I saw a large clump of unmovable files which
: was about 10 megs big.  It's not the swap file.  Can't find it in file
: manager.  Anyone know how I can find out what it is?  It's a wfwg 3.11
: machine with dos 6.21.

   One of these KB articles might explain it:

Defrag Reports Unmovable Block Without Any Hidden/System Files
<http://198.105.232.6/KB/PEROPSYS/msdos/Q100013.htm>

Defrag Treats Lost Clusters as Unmovable Blocks
<http://198.105.232.6/KB/PEROPSYS/msdos/Q103555.htm>

Defrag Sees Several Megabytes of Unmovable Blocks
<http://198.105.232.6/KB/PEROPSYS/msdos/Q97109.htm>

-Jeff

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Chris Wasle » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Have you tried looking at the filenames through defrag. Use Walk Map to
identify .
--
|-----------------------------------------------------|

 Gloucestershire College Of Arts & Technology
 Computer Services Unit
 Cheltenham, Glos.  UK

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Brian L. Lightfoo » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

writes:
Quote:

>when I defragged today I saw a large clump of unmovable files which
>was about 10 megs big.  It's not the swap file.  Can't find it in file
>manager.  Anyone know how I can find out what it is?  It's a wfwg 3.11
>machine with dos 6.21.
>Thanks, Eric

Sure sounds like the swap file to me.

Reset your virtual memory to NONE (just temporarily). Then try your
defrag to see if the 10m clump is gone.

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Dav » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

On Fri, 02 Feb 96 17:17:46 GMT, Craig*burn

>> Have you tried looking at the filenames through defrag. Use Walk Map to
>> identify .

>Walk Map? That's not available on my defrag (MS-DOS 6.22) - what are you
>using? I'd love to find out what all those X's mean on my defrag disk map!

Norton speedisk (same type of thing as defrag)  will allow you to do a
disk walk and see exacly what file is using a cluster. Also tells you
if a file is fragmented or not.

Dave.

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Simon Trangma » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Maybe I can help?

I just saw the answer about trying defrag - the QUESTION has expired.!!

Email me if you need help

Simon Trangmar
Adelaide - South Australia

"Daddy, what does formatting drive C mean..?"

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Ben Scho » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

DD> >Walk Map? That's not available on my defrag (MS-DOS 6.22) - what ar
DD> >using? I'd love to find out what all those X's mean on my defrag di
DD> Norton speedisk (same type of thing as defrag)  will allow you to do
DD> disk walk and see exacly what file is using a cluster. Also tells yo
DD> if a file is fragmented or not.

Defrag is a licensed, smaller, version of Speedisk. It doesn't have the
Walk Map feature in it.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr                                   21000 Osborne, #6
Director of Operations                          Canoga Park, CA. 91304
Watson/Schorr Consulting                        (818) 993-8640

* RM 1.31 1663 * Jesus died for your sins, don't disappoint him.

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Craig Cockbur » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Defrag is a licensed, smaller, version of Speedisk. It doesn't have the
> Walk Map feature in it.

Is Speedisk freeware, shareware or full price software?

--

Post by Ben Scho » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

CC> > Defrag is a licensed, smaller, version of Speedisk. It doesn't hav
CC> > Walk Map feature in it.
CC> Is Speedisk freeware, shareware or full price software?

Speedisk is commercial software. It is part of the Norton Utilities
from Symantec.

Defrag is sort of free; it's included with Microsoft DOS 6.x.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr                                   21000 Osborne, #6
Director of Operations                          Canoga Park, CA. 91304
Watson/Schorr Consulting                        (818) 993-8640

* RM 1.31 1663 * "..I don't think you come here for the hunting."

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by eric brew » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>> Have you tried looking at the filenames through defrag. Use Walk Map to
>>> identify .

>>Walk Map? That's not available on my defrag (MS-DOS 6.22) - what are you
>>using? I'd love to find out what all those X's mean on my defrag disk map!
>I am not familiar with Walk Map but you can find out what those files are from
>the DOS prompt by typing DIR /A:H/S This will search the current directory and
>all it's subdirectories and list any hidden files.
>Bob

I posted the original article about a month ago.  I have x's on the
defrag screen which appear to add up to about ten megs-unmovable.
I used the command prompt to see if it was a hidden file and it didn't
show up.  It's not the swapfile, that's 16 megs.  So I don't know what
this unmovable block is.  Still trying to find out, cause I'll need it
soon.
Eric

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Kurt Kaellbl » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I posted the original article about a month ago.  I have x's on the
>defrag screen which appear to add up to about ten megs-unmovable.
>I used the command prompt to see if it was a hidden file and it didn't
>show up.  It's not the swapfile, that's 16 megs.  So I don't know what
>this unmovable block is.  Still trying to find out, cause I'll need it
>soon.
>Eric

It might be lost allocation units. Use CHKDSK /F and DOS will gathers these
into files named FILE0000.CHK, FILE0001.CHK etceteras in the root. (You must
exit Windows, CHKDSK /F can't be used in a DOS-window). Then you can use an
editor to view these file and determine whether you want to save or delete
them.

Hope this helps,
Kurt

Department of Building Science, LTH, Lund University, Sweden
<Speaking for myself, not the department, nor ...>

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by Jeroen Sor » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>writes:

>>when I defragged today I saw a large clump of unmovable files which
>>was about 10 megs big.  It's not the swap file.  Can't find it in file
>>manager.  Anyone know how I can find out what it is?  It's a wfwg 3.11
>>machine with dos 6.21.
>>Thanks, Eric

>Sure sounds like the swap file to me.

>Reset your virtual memory to NONE (just temporarily). Then try your
>defrag to see if the 10m clump is gone.

Yeah Blow Me !

I had a user ini our organisation who did that once. Nice to know
that the system didn't start anymore 'cause it couldn't find any memory
to run in 386Enh-mode. So be carefull on performing this trick !

Jeroen.

10 meg mystery file!!!

Post by eric brew » Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>I posted the original article about a month ago.  I have x's on the
>>defrag screen which appear to add up to about ten megs-unmovable.
>>I used the command prompt to see if it was a hidden file and it didn't
>>show up.  It's not the swapfile, that's 16 megs.  So I don't know what
>>this unmovable block is.  Still trying to find out, cause I'll need it
>>soon.
>>Eric
>It might be lost allocation units. Use CHKDSK /F and DOS will gathers these
>into files named FILE0000.CHK, FILE0001.CHK etceteras in the root. (You must
>exit Windows, CHKDSK /F can't be used in a DOS-window). Then you can use an
>editor to view these file and determine whether you want to save or delete
>them.
>Hope this helps,
>Kurt

Thanks for the help, I tried this and it didn't work.  However I then
tried scandisk and this did relocate lost allocations or something and
I got my 10 megs back.
Thanks, Eric

1. NT-Sun 10 Meg/100 Meg networking problem -help

Thanks in advance for reading the post and all responses will be
appreciated.

We have an NT Server with two ethernet cards:
   1 10 Mb/s ethernet
  1 100 Mb/s ethernet

The NT Server connects to a Sun SparcStation on the 10 Mb/s network and
other NT workstations on the 100 mb/s ethernet.

The machine configurations and the corresponding IP addresses are as
follows:

NT Server
    10 Mb/s card    195.1.1.2
    100 Mb/s card  195.1.1.128

    Subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0
    The default gateway is 195.1.1.128

Sun SparcStation
    10 Mb/s ethernet   195.1.1.3
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

NT Workstation
    100 Mb/s ethernet  195.1.1.129
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway  195.1.1.128

I am able to ping from the Sun to the NT server (the 10 meg card) and
vice-versa.
I am able to ping from the NT workstation (the 100 meg card address) and
vice versa.

I am not able to ping the sun or the 10 Meg card address from the
workstation
and am not able to ping the workstation or the 100 meg card from the
sun. In other words,

From the NT server:
    all addresses are ping'able

From the Sun:
    ping 195.1.1.2 works
    ping 195.1.1.128 fails
    ping 195.1.1.129 fails

From the workstation:
    ping 195.1.1.128 works
    ping 195.1.1.2 fails
    ping 195.1.1.3 fails

What am I doing wrong? Do I need a router service running on the NT
Server -- if so how do I enable it?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Mantha Software, Inc.
Independent Software Consultants

2. sysrestore

3. Nino + CF 10 Meg card = 8 megs system ram?

4. RUN command in start menu

5. Offline File Folders - 10 meg limit Semaphore error

6. Webpopup / disabling messenger

7. FS: NINO 320 w/10 Meg CF

8. Disabling 'Save as wallpaper'

9. E-10 w/8 meg

10. 10-on-10 video conference

11. Speed up play by 10% and record the altered file to a new file?

12. FIX FOR CODE 10 I hope this helps some people on code 10 error