Planning IIS4, Proxy Server, and Exchange Server Outlook Web Access.

Planning IIS4, Proxy Server, and Exchange Server Outlook Web Access.

Post by Angel Martire » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm planning to setup an internal web server in our network.  I also would
like to setup the Outlook Web Access so that users can access their mail box
in the Exchanger Server from anywhere in the world.

We are currently  connected to the internet through an ISP.   The IPS
maintains the DNS servers.

I have a stand alone NT4 server loaded with Microsoft Proxy Server and IIS3.
The bios name is NSBN_PROXY.  This server is  multihomed.  One network
adapter card has a valid IP and the gateway points to the DSL modem/router.
The other network adapter card has a  private IP and there is no gateway.

I have another NT4 server which is loaded with Exchange Server.  The bios
name is NSBN_EXCH.   This server is also  multihomed.  One network adapter
card has a valid IP and the gateway points to the DSL router.  The other
network adapter card has a  private IP and there is no gateway.

I have another 2 servers which a PDC and a BDC.

The first thing that I would like to do is to replace the NSBN_PROXY with a
better computer.  The new computer has a  Pentium II 333Mhz processor, 132MB
RAM, and two 8GB SCSI hard drives which will be mirrored.

FIRST QUESTION:
Do I have to start from scratch installing proxy server on a new computer or
is there a way I can backup proxy and the cache from the old computer and
restore it on the new computer?

When I have successfully moved proxy server to a new computer, I would like
to upgrade IIS3 to IIS4.  Then I would like to setup Outlook Web Access on
this new computer.

Our network has about 85 users.  On a daily basis, an average of 20 users
cross the proxy server to browse the world wide web.  At this time, our own
private web server is not set up yet, but it will probably be widely used as
soon as web pages are developed.   When I successfully setup the Outlook Web
Access, I would limit the number of users who can use this feature to about
35 users maximum.

SECOND QUESTION:
With the new computer, do I have enough resources to run Proxy Server, IIS4,
and Outlook Web Access on this machine?

If this setup is fine, I will then proceed to setup a website in the IIS4.
This website will have a valid IP.  I will ask our ISP to make a record
entry in the DSN server so that users can refer to the website by conical
name such www.subdomain.ourmaindomain.com rather than a
http://computername/website or IP address.

THIRD QUESTION:
Since the website will have a valid IP address, how can I make it secure?
Is there another way of associating IP address with a conical name?  I
thought of entering a static mapping on the WINS server, but I don't know if
it's going to work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Angel Martires

1. Outlook 97 and Proxy Server/Exchange Server

I have SBS 4.0 and have been running interoffice email through
outlook/exchange server for over a year.  Just got the proxy server up and
am now connected to the Internet using one static IP address at the ISP.
Ever since the proxy server has been up, outlook97 takes 3 minutes to load
on client machines at bootup.  Have checked all IP possibilities and have
run performance monitor on the server to watch a few things, but nothing
points out the reason for slow down.  Previously, outlook booted up at about
15-20 seconds upon bootup.  Has anyone ever run into this problem??? Please
email reply to:

Thanks!

2. system-cleanup????????

3. Need Proxy Server / Exchange Server Help

4. Mitsumi FX400 CD-ROM 4x

5. Exchange Server and Proxy Server

6. themes

7. Co-existance of Exchange Server and Proxy Server

8. active programs

9. Connecting to Exchange Server through a proxy server

10. configuring MS ISA server to be a public web proxy server

11. help: NT proxy server & Unix web server...

12. Apache Proxy Server within a intranet in front of a proxy server with firewall

13. Web accessing Exchange 5.0 server