"DOS/16M error [6] insufficient memory to load program" during Norton 95 Disk Editor

Post by Ben Jos Walbeeh » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've looked at the Norton 95 documentation and searched Microsoft's
> online knowledge base but can't find any info on this problem.

> I've been using Norton 95 (August '95 version dates) for a year now
> but haven't had a need to use Disk Editor until now.  When I run it
> from within Windows 95 it says it is switching to MS-DOS mode and then
> it crashes and reboots.  When I run it from Windows 95 command prompt
> or my previous MS-DOS version (5.0) it aborts with the error message
> "DOS/16M error [6] insufficient memory to load program".

> I guess this is related to a quirk I heard about video memory
> addressing with systems having more than 16 MB of RAM.

I don't think so... DOS/16M is the predecessor to DOS/4GW. It's a DOS extender;
it allows DOS to run in 16-bit (DOS/16M) or 32-bit (DOS/4GW) protected mode.
All I can think of is that you need more conventional memory; check your
AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files (or make custom ones for this particular
application), and "rem" out all lines that you do not really need.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Ben Jos.
--
Ben Jos Walbeehm    (My first name is "Ben Jos")

To reply by e-mail, remove the "---" (if any) from my address
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/walbeehm

"DOS/16M error [6] insufficient memory to load program" during Norton 95 Disk Editor

Post by Life's A Hilla » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: >
: > I've looked at the Norton 95 documentation and searched Microsoft's
: > online knowledge base but can't find any info on this problem.
: >
: > I've been using Norton 95 (August '95 version dates) for a year now
: > but haven't had a need to use Disk Editor until now.  When I run it
: > from within Windows 95 it says it is switching to MS-DOS mode and then
: > it crashes and reboots.  When I run it from Windows 95 command prompt
: > or my previous MS-DOS version (5.0) it aborts with the error message
: > "DOS/16M error [6] insufficient memory to load program".

Don't use /noems in config.sys.
Then if it needs more than 16meg default, use  set DOS416M=:32M
or set DOS4GVM=1 for virtual memory.

Bob/NYC
--
           HeavensGate Presents the Clintongate Parody Sound page
                  http://www.cnct.com/~bshr/Bull.html

Post by Ben Jos Walbeeh » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys
> DEVICE=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
> DOS=high,umb

> So now when Windows 95 starts up it uses the above three lines and
> Norton 95 Disk Editor now runs.

> I think it's incredible that Windows 95 and Norton 95 still need those
> lines in order to work.

Obviously, Norton 95's Disk Editor, is just another DOS program. They are using
a DOS extender to overcome some of the limitations of DOS, but it's still just
a DOS program. And until they make a NATIVE Windows 95 version, you'll need
those lines.

And the only reason Windows 95 needs lines like those is to support old,
non-Windows-95-native, programs. 32-bit, protected mode, Windows 95 programs
don't need them; 16-bit, real-mode, DOS or Windows 3.x programs do.

I am glad to hear you got it solved.

Cheers,
Ben Jos.