Looking for equivalent of "groups" unix command

Looking for equivalent of "groups" unix command

Post by Olivier MAA » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

hello,

I have to develop a little program under Novell and NT environements. I
already have it under unix env, but I need to translate it.

Any one here knows the equivalent of the "groups" command (unix)

As You understood I need the command giving the logical network group
name of the username or login given as argument.

Any help welcome... for as I do not have yet access to those
environements... it is something like "blind programming" ;-)

Thanks... please mail back answer...

olivier Maas

Looking for equivalent of "groups" unix command

Post by pinchb.. » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

My advice is instead of considering migrating the UNIX implementation to NT or
Novell is to stop.  Sit back.  And actually read up on how security is done on
those OS's.

NT's security model is totally different from UNIX.  You will have to write an
NT specific implementation.  There are many articles around on the subject.
Windows Developer's Journal had a 5 parter late last year.  You can also look
it up on MSDN.  There may even be an example already done for you!

I'm pretty sure that Novell's implementation will require the same amount of
work.  For that you'll need Novell's documentation.

cheers.

Quote:> hello,

> I have to develop a little program under Novell and NT environements. I
> already have it under unix env, but I need to translate it.

> Any one here knows the equivalent of the "groups" command (unix)

> As You understood I need the command giving the logical network group
> name of the username or login given as argument.

> Any help welcome... for as I do not have yet access to those
> environements... it is something like "blind programming" ;-)

> Thanks... please mail back answer...

> olivier Maas

Looking for equivalent of "groups" unix command

Post by gartner e » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hy Olivier,

i don't know the unix command "groups" and i don't exactly understand
what it should do, but try the "net" command (ie. net group, net
localgroup ...).

By - Jrgen

> hello,

> I have to develop a little program under Novell and NT environements. I
> already have it under unix env, but I need to translate it.

> Any one here knows the equivalent of the "groups" command (unix)

> As You understood I need the command giving the logical network group
> name of the username or login given as argument.

> Any help welcome... for as I do not have yet access to those
> environements... it is something like "blind programming" ;-)

> Thanks... please mail back answer...

> olivier Maas

1. Win{98|NT} equivalent of UNIX "lsof" ?

[  Sorry about the moderately large number of cross-posts.  But none of
   the Win{98,NT} groups seemed precisely and unambiguously correct.  ]

I periodically portscan my own systems, looking for services which ought
to be disabled, but aren't.  Recently, a scan of one of my Win98 systems
showed that something was listening on TCP port 33218.  If I connect to
that port, the Win98 box echoes back "PWD"; and no matter what I send to
it, it replies "error reading password..."

This could be something totally innocuous, or perhaps it's something that
I ought to be worried about.  (Whatever it is, it gets reactivated after
a reboot.)

If this were a UNIX system, I could use Vic Abell's "lsof" tool, to tell
me what process was listening on that TCP port.  Is there an equivalent
tool for Win98?

And although the system in question this time is a Win98 box, I might as
well ask the same question for Windows NT as well, since we've got those
also.

Many thanks in advance ...

Mark Bartelt                                                 626 395 2522

California Institute of Technology      http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~mark

"Clothes not busy being worn are busy drying."  --  Dylan, on laundry day
          [ singing "It's all right, ma (I'm only bleaching)" ]

2. windowsxp movie maker wont recognize my JVC digital video camera

3. Unix "rsh" Equivalent for NT?

4. Change Property Sheet Size

5. What are WinXP equivalents to "Desktop" and "Start Menu" folders?

6. Terminate the playing file after pressing a digit

7. Command-line equivalent to Device Manager's "Scan for hardware changes"

8. OE Printing problem

9. Equivalent of "system" command in Windows ??

10. Unix "more" or "less" for NT wanted

11. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

12. Making email group members "BCC" instead of "TO" in OE6.00.26

13. Is There a Command Line Windows Version of the Unix "Kill"