Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Post by Rufus V. Smit » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone used Metrowerk's Code Warrior for Windows CE?  I was over
at their website and saw that there is such an animal.  Has anyone used
Visual C++ and Code Warrior and can give a comparison of the two products?

I've been wrestling with Visual C++ and it leaves a lot to be desired if you
don't know exactly what you are doing and have the API's and Class
definitions
memorized.

Borland doesn't support Windows CE at this time.  Besides, I heard that
their
help system in C++ Builder isn't that much better than Visual C++.

I'd appreciate feedback from Code Warrior (or any other system) users.

Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Post by a.. » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

AFAIK, it's still vaporware.  They've been talking about it for over 2
years and still haven't shipped the limited MIPS/x86 support for CE 2.0
that's advertised on their WWW site.

For native executables, VCCE is still your best bet.  If you can do without
native executabls, PocketC (http://www.orbworks.com) is a cheap, but good,
alternative.

HTH

:
: I've been wrestling with Visual C++ and it leaves a lot to be desired if you
: don't know exactly what you are doing and have the API's and Class
: definitions
: memorized.
:
: Borland doesn't support Windows CE at this time.  Besides, I heard that
: their
: help system in C++ Builder isn't that much better than Visual C++.
:
: I'd appreciate feedback from Code Warrior (or any other system) users.
:
:
:
:

/*  Andrew  */
WWW: http://www.halcyon.com/ast

Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Post by Otokoda » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>They've been talking about it for over 2
>years and still haven't shipped the limited MIPS/x86 support for CE 2.0
>that's advertised on their WWW site.

I looked at their website and they state that it will be available the first
half of 1999.  Looking at my calendar, I think they missed.

Based on the prices they show, I would guess that if it ever becomes available,
it will be around $350.  I get all of Microsofts tools at work for free, so I
don't know how much VC++ and the CE Toolkit together totals.

Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Post by Rufus V. Smit » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>They've been talking about it for over 2
>>years and still haven't shipped the limited MIPS/x86 support for CE 2.0
>>that's advertised on their WWW site.

>I looked at their website and they state that it will be available the
first
>half of 1999.  Looking at my calendar, I think they missed.

>Based on the prices they show, I would guess that if it ever becomes
available,
>it will be around $350.  I get all of Microsofts tools at work for free, so
>don't know how much VC++ and the CE Toolkit together totals.

Well, I am building an x86 project, which requires VC++ and Platform
Builder and CE Toolkit which totals >$1500 (IIRC).

Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Post by Steve Maille » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

That's not exactly comparing apples to oranges. THe $995 price of Platform
builder should be factored out as it is required to build/port the OS to custom
hardware. As opposed to the other tools for developing apps for CE after it's
ported to a particular platform.

--
Steve Maillet
Entelechy Software Consulting

> >>They've been talking about it for over 2
> >>years and still haven't shipped the limited MIPS/x86 support for CE 2.0
> >>that's advertised on their WWW site.

> >I looked at their website and they state that it will be available the
> first
> >half of 1999.  Looking at my calendar, I think they missed.

> >Based on the prices they show, I would guess that if it ever becomes
> available,
> >it will be around $350.  I get all of Microsofts tools at work for free, so
> >don't know how much VC++ and the CE Toolkit together totals.

> Well, I am building an x86 project, which requires VC++ and Platform
> Builder and CE Toolkit which totals >$1500 (IIRC).

Code Warrior for Windows CE? Anyone Use?

Post by Mark I. Ros » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Doesn't seem that PocketC supports the IR port on the WinCE.......anyone
know an easy way i can control it?

Thanks,
rossman  ;)