VC++ V6.0 IDE Debug on a custom target

Post by Jon Mance » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a custom PowerPC based target that is running WinCE V2.11.  The port
of CE was carried out in house.  To date I have been unable
to use the VC++ IDE debugging.

I have a serial link at 115k bps through repllog and CE services.  I can
use this to browse my platforms file system, download and execute apps
and use all of the CE remote tools (remote regedit, remote spy etc etc..).
BUT I can't get IDE debugging to work.  If I start a debug session, the app
is downloaded, then the IDE downloads cemon, next it reports that the
symbols are being loaded....This is as far as it goes - The CE services link
breaks and the IDE hangs for two minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem?? - It appears that it timeouts, I have
heard that serial debugging is slow.....Are there any settings that
can be used to specify device timeout??
Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

VC++ V6.0 IDE Debug on a custom target

Post by Steve Maille » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

don't know of any timeouts and as far as I know debugging with the PPC is quite
good/ Usually if you experience the same problems as the rest of us you wouldn't
have gotten as far as loading debug symbols. Seems like we've got a new one
here...

you might want to exit the IDE and kill CEMGR.exe on the host (and cemgrc.exe on
the target)

--
Steve Maillet
Entelechy Software Consulting

Quote:> I have a custom PowerPC based target that is running WinCE V2.11.  The port
> of CE was carried out in house.  To date I have been unable
> to use the VC++ IDE debugging.

> I have a serial link at 115k bps through repllog and CE services.  I can
> use this to browse my platforms file system, download and execute apps
> and use all of the CE remote tools (remote regedit, remote spy etc etc..).
> BUT I can't get IDE debugging to work.  If I start a debug session, the app
> is downloaded, then the IDE downloads cemon, next it reports that the
> symbols are being loaded....This is as far as it goes - The CE services link
> breaks and the IDE hangs for two minutes.

> Has anyone else had this problem?? - It appears that it timeouts, I have
> heard that serial debugging is slow.....Are there any settings that
> can be used to specify device timeout??
> Any ideas welcome.

> Thanks in advance.

VC++ V6.0 IDE Debug on a custom target

Post by industria » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am not sure what else to try - I am sure that my serial driver is ok as
it works with all the remote tools and mobile devices etc etc. I can use the
IDE in a debug session on a commercial CE device so this seems to verify my
host side configuration.

This problem has been repeated on three seperate development
workstations, the same result each time.  It kind of points to something not
configured correctly on my custom target?

I'll keep trying.......

Thanks for your help,

Jon Mancer.

Post by mark » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am not sure what else to try - I am sure that my serial driver is ok as
> it works with all the remote tools and mobile devices etc etc. I can use the
> IDE in a debug session on a commercial CE device so this seems to verify my
> host side configuration.

> This problem has been repeated on three seperate development
> workstations, the same result each time.  It kind of points to something not
> configured correctly on my custom target?

> I'll keep trying.......

> Thanks for your help,

> Jon Mancer.

> >don't know of any timeouts and as far as I know debugging with the PPC is
> quite
> >good/ Usually if you experience the same problems as the rest of us you
> wouldn't
> >have gotten as far as loading debug symbols. Seems like we've got a new one
> >here...

> >you might want to exit the IDE and kill CEMGR.exe on the host (and
> cemgrc.exe on
> >the target)

> >--
> >Steve Maillet
> >Entelechy Software Consulting
> >"Where hardware meets software"
> >www.EntelechyConsulting.com
> >Home of the Embedding Windows CE FAQ
> >smaillet at EntelechyConsulting dot com

> >> I have a custom PowerPC based target that is running WinCE V2.11.  The
> port
> >> of CE was carried out in house.  To date I have been unable
> >> to use the VC++ IDE debugging.

> >> I have a serial link at 115k bps through repllog and CE services.  I can
> >> use this to browse my platforms file system, download and execute apps
> >> and use all of the CE remote tools (remote regedit, remote spy etc
> etc..).
> >> BUT I can't get IDE debugging to work.  If I start a debug session, the
> app
> >> is downloaded, then the IDE downloads cemon, next it reports that the
> >> symbols are being loaded....This is as far as it goes - The CE services
> link
> >> breaks and the IDE hangs for two minutes.

> >> Has anyone else had this problem?? - It appears that it timeouts, I have
> >> heard that serial debugging is slow.....Are there any settings that
> >> can be used to specify device timeout??
> >> Any ideas welcome.

> >> Thanks in advance.

Are you using CE Services or CESH for your transport ?  I think you have
to use CESH.
--
 Running Linux Kernel 2.2.5
 Fight broadband monopolies - www.opennetcoalition.org

VC++ V6.0 IDE Debug on a custom target

Post by Jon Mance » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am using CE services...

> > I am not sure what else to try - I am sure that my serial driver is ok
as
> > it works with all the remote tools and mobile devices etc etc. I can use
the
> > IDE in a debug session on a commercial CE device so this seems to verify
my
> > host side configuration.

> > This problem has been repeated on three seperate development
> > workstations, the same result each time.  It kind of points to something
not
> > configured correctly on my custom target?

> > I'll keep trying.......

> > Thanks for your help,

> > Jon Mancer.

> > >don't know of any timeouts and as far as I know debugging with the PPC
is
> > quite
> > >good/ Usually if you experience the same problems as the rest of us you
> > wouldn't
> > >have gotten as far as loading debug symbols. Seems like we've got a new
one
> > >here...

> > >you might want to exit the IDE and kill CEMGR.exe on the host (and
> > cemgrc.exe on
> > >the target)

> > >--
> > >Steve Maillet
> > >Entelechy Software Consulting
> > >"Where hardware meets software"
> > >www.EntelechyConsulting.com
> > >Home of the Embedding Windows CE FAQ
> > >smaillet at EntelechyConsulting dot com

The
> > port

> > etc..).
> > app
> > link

> Are you using CE Services or CESH for your transport ?  I think you have
> to use CESH.
> --
>  Running Linux Kernel 2.2.5
>  Fight broadband monopolies - www.opennetcoalition.org

1. Serial debug to a custom platform platform from VC++ V6.0

Using WinCE V2.0/2.1 and VC++ V5.0 I could connect my custom target to the
VC++ IDE by launching repllog and make a serial connection through Windows
CE services.  I could then download apps and use the remote IDE tools.

After upgrading to the new tools I have exported an SDK from Platform
Builder V2.11 for my custom WinCE V2.11 OS.  I then imported this into VC++
V6.0.  This was fairly straight forward.  I can now build applications for
for my PowerPC based custom platform.

Following this upgrade to VC++ V6.0 and the CE toolkit for this release.  I
would like to replicate the setup I had withVC++ V5.0 with the addition of
debug from the IDE.  To date I have followed the MS docs without much
success.  If I continue to launch repllog on my target and through Windows
CE services I can get a link from my NT (SP3) host to my target.  The link
tests out OK through platform manager.  I can download code, use the remote
IDE tools but I cannot get debugging to work.  CEMON is downloaded, but once
this has finished downloading the link is broken and the IDE hangs......

Can anyone confirm what I need on the target side to enable VC++ V6.0 IDE
debugging to operate over a serial link.  My target has no keyboard.

Thanks in advance

2. System Policy Editor win98 version

3. Debugging a custom SIP / Emulating with custom SIP

4. Data transfer speeds

5. Displaying Bitmaps in a Picture Box in VC++ v6 More Questions

6. MS-DOS

7. Displaying Bitmaps in a Picture Box in VC++ v6

8. Win. 98 & WordPerfect 7

9. Target Designer - Debug version

10. Kerner debugging on target devcie ?

11. Can I connect my target board to my development PC through UDB for remote debug?

12. PB 3.0 IDE Target menu commands and command line tools

13. Need suggestion about the way I debug app. on target device.