Howto: Split mfc resources across multiple resource files?

Howto: Split mfc resources across multiple resource files?

Post by Rolf Huijbrecht » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 01:01:42

Hi,

We are starting to use MFC and would like to create a resource file for each
MFC Document that is defined in the application. This makes change
management and large team development possible.

By default, an mfc application uses 1 resource file. do you know how to
define/use multiple resource files in an application? this would make life
easier? please advise if you have other tips for multi-developer teams.

do you have ideas/examples on how to do this?

--
Kind regards,
Rolf Huijbrechts, REAL SOFTWARE

Howto: Split mfc resources across multiple resource files?

Post by Rod Rushin » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:13:37

It's not clear how far you want to stretch this.  You can change the
default resource module using AfxSetResourceHandle(..).  If you want to
share some resources between different documents, you can of course switch
between resource modules.  IF these are resources that aren't required by
the framework, use FindResource, LoadResource, etc.

Rod Rushing
Developer Support - Embedded Systems
Microsoft

Howto: Split mfc resources across multiple resource files?

Post by Rolf Huijbrecht » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:55:46

Hi,
Many thanks for your contribution. We will get it resolved.
--
Kind regards,
Rolf Huijbrechts, REAL SOFTWARE

Quote:> It's not clear how far you want to stretch this.  You can change the
> default resource module using AfxSetResourceHandle(..).  If you want to
> share some resources between different documents, you can of course switch
> between resource modules.  IF these are resources that aren't required by
> the framework, use FindResource, LoadResource, etc.

> Rod Rushing
> Developer Support - Embedded Systems
> Microsoft

1. Q: MFC Project Configs using multiple resource files

Hello!

I am currently using Visual C++ 4.1 with MFC.

I would like to create a new project configuration and have
it be the same as my base configuration (i.e. MyApp - Win32 Debug)
EXCEPT that it uses a different resource file (i.e. MyApp.rc).

I find that I can add two resource files to my project, BUT it
only uses one of them, and I cannot tell VC which resource file
to use (outside of it being the first one placed in the list).

I do not want to create a separate project/sub-project because
I will be adding/deleting source code files during my development
and I do not want to have to update two separate source file project
lists.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  You can post or E-Mail

                        Web    -  http://www.halcyon.com/riston

2. Maximum RAM XP will use?

3. XML Resource Files: Adding bitmaps to the resource files

4. add remove programs

5. Q:MFC and multiple language resources

6. Help me, please . . .

7. Splitting compiles across multiple NT machines

8. .cab file (in iPSM) is deleted automatically after installation

9. New Resource: Add-ins and Resources

10. howto give PCMCIA-modem-card right resources?

11. TD : HowTo Find Registry resource?

12. Resource filtering - will Windows re-use unused resources?

13. New Resource: Add-ins and Resources