Can't debug my app

Post by Joe » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:37:10

I am using eMbedded Visual Studio 3.0 and Active Sync.

I have created a hello world application that I can build
and debug (from Win2k).  It works just fine.

But, when I try to debug my real application, I get an
error message popup on the Win2k side in the de*
saying "Please check the remote executable path and file
name from your project setting".  Then, when I press the
ok button on the message box, the de* is detached
from the remote process as though it thinks the process
failed to start.  However, the executable runs on the CE
device!

I have probably tried this 50 times and it behaved this
same way, but while typing this message and trying one
more time just to get the exact error message, it worked.
But, now it is not working again.

The settings referred to in the error message are grayed
out and this is apparently due tot he fact that this is an
executable (.exe) file.

Can anybody tell me what is wrong?  Thanks.

Can't debug my app

Post by Super Gu » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:41:46

You can try these steps:
1.In eVC, go Tools->Configure Platform Manager.Pick up the device type you
have and click Properties.
   See you can connect you device to desktop via either TCP/IP,maybe you
need click Advanced button here and
   setup to ActiveSync connection.
2.Hook up your device to desktop...
3.Build the DEBUG version for you application and press F5 to debug it.

Quote:> I am using eMbedded Visual Studio 3.0 and Active Sync.

> I have created a hello world application that I can build
> and debug (from Win2k).  It works just fine.

> But, when I try to debug my real application, I get an
> error message popup on the Win2k side in the de*
> saying "Please check the remote executable path and file
> name from your project setting".  Then, when I press the
> ok button on the message box, the de* is detached
> from the remote process as though it thinks the process
> failed to start.  However, the executable runs on the CE
> device!

> I have probably tried this 50 times and it behaved this
> same way, but while typing this message and trying one
> more time just to get the exact error message, it worked.
> But, now it is not working again.

> The settings referred to in the error message are grayed
> out and this is apparently due tot he fact that this is an
> executable (.exe) file.

> Can anybody tell me what is wrong?  Thanks.

1. dragging an app's debug window locks the app (COM)

I made a debug window in the app I am working on, a part of a COM component.  Then I noticed that any message-generating activities on this window (using the scroll bar or just dragging the window)locks my app. This is a multithreaded app that heavily uses synchronization tools (mutexes, events, messages).

I found numerous references (in Microsoft documentation) of potential problems in using WaitForMultipleObjects function with COM, instead of MsgWaitForMultipleObjects.  They say that since all input messages (say from dragging the debug window) are broadcasted over all windows of a thread (if CoInitialize is called - an apartment is created in the client thread) using WaitForMultipleObjects may create deadlocks (all these parasite messages are not removed from the queue of the COM-generated hidden window).  So I rewrote this app hoping that using MsgWaitForMultipleObjects would fix the problem.  Not at all!  same deadlock.

Another possibility is that the CSingleLock class I use for locking common resources, uses WaitForSingleObject (in .Lock()) - maybe it is stuck there?  But this would mean that when using COM you have to use a home-made lock class processing these parasite messages, instead of using MFC locks.

Anyway, I am still did not get anywhere. Any ideas?

-----------------** -- Posted from CodeGuru -- **-----------------
http://www.codeguru.com/    The website for Visual C++ programmers.

2. Netscape newsreader with Netcom

3. DirectShow DVDSample app crashing in Debug mode - HELP!

4. Firewire Camcorder Help?!

5. Any ideas on debugging Win98 app. that freezes system?

6. DUN Password not saved

7. Debugging EVB apps

8. Forte Agent under wine

9. Big problem: eVB app. runs only in debug mode

10. Need suggestion about the way I debug app. on target device.

11. Using local DLL when running pocketPC app in debug mode

12. Need suggestion about the way I debug app. on target device.

13. Debug VC.NET app for ARMV4