Pocket Access development without Pocket Access?

Pocket Access development without Pocket Access?

Post by Elliot M. Rodrigue » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:55:57

Thanks for reading my post.

I've gotten some info on starting PocketPC apps development with eVB, and
have the emulator, but have a question regarding desktop development without
a PocketPC or its apps.

One of the tasks I want to accomplish is create apps that use PocketAccess
or SQLCE. I dont have a PocketPC (I'm not in that tax bracket yet), but i'd
like to know if its possible for me to use my desktop's Access or SQL Server
2K functionality as part of the emulation process. If this is possible (I'm
sure it is, but a newbie to eVB development), what do I need to look out
for? If its not, what are my alternatives?

TIA

--
Elliot M. Rodriguez

* Please format my email properly for email replies.*

Pocket Access development without Pocket Access?

Post by Chris Tacke, eMV » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:40:46

Pocket Access is simply the database engine (no front end) on the emulator
as well as the device, and is readily accessible with ADOCE.  SSCE is also
fully usable.  Head over to www.devbuzz.com for tutorials on using both.

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Windows CE Product Manager

Quote:> Thanks for reading my post.

> I've gotten some info on starting PocketPC apps development with eVB, and
> have the emulator, but have a question regarding desktop development
without
> a PocketPC or its apps.

> One of the tasks I want to accomplish is create apps that use PocketAccess
> or SQLCE. I dont have a PocketPC (I'm not in that tax bracket yet), but
i'd
> like to know if its possible for me to use my desktop's Access or SQL
Server
> 2K functionality as part of the emulation process. If this is possible
(I'm
> sure it is, but a newbie to eVB development), what do I need to look out
> for? If its not, what are my alternatives?

> TIA

> --
> Elliot M. Rodriguez

> * Please format my email properly for email replies.*

Pocket Access development without Pocket Access?

Post by Elliot M. Rodrigue » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:52:41

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused by your reply.

Are you saying that the emulator itself on my desktop contains the required
ADOCE libraries? I dont have to indicate in my dev environment that I'm
actually using, say, a desktop version of SQL Server, as a datasource?

> Pocket Access is simply the database engine (no front end) on the emulator
> as well as the device, and is readily accessible with ADOCE.  SSCE is also
> fully usable.  Head over to www.devbuzz.com for tutorials on using both.

> --
> Chris Tacke, eMVP
> Windows CE Product Manager
> Applied Data Systems
> www.applieddata.net

> > Thanks for reading my post.

> > I've gotten some info on starting PocketPC apps development with eVB,
and
> > have the emulator, but have a question regarding desktop development
> without
> > a PocketPC or its apps.

> > One of the tasks I want to accomplish is create apps that use
PocketAccess
> > or SQLCE. I dont have a PocketPC (I'm not in that tax bracket yet), but
> i'd
> > like to know if its possible for me to use my desktop's Access or SQL
> Server
> > 2K functionality as part of the emulation process. If this is possible
> (I'm
> > sure it is, but a newbie to eVB development), what do I need to look out
> > for? If its not, what are my alternatives?

> > TIA

> > --
> > Elliot M. Rodriguez

> > * Please format my email properly for email replies.*

Pocket Access development without Pocket Access?

Post by Chris Tacke, eMV » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:14:49

You can't use a remote data source without replication or RDA (i.e. using a
DSN is not possible).  The ADOCE libraries may well be already on the
emulator, if not they're easy to install.  Again, I highly recommend looking
at the devbuzz tutorials, as they cover all of this.

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Windows CE Product Manager

> Chris,

> Thanks for the reply. I'm confused by your reply.

> Are you saying that the emulator itself on my desktop contains the
required
> ADOCE libraries? I dont have to indicate in my dev environment that I'm
> actually using, say, a desktop version of SQL Server, as a datasource?

> > Pocket Access is simply the database engine (no front end) on the
emulator
> > as well as the device, and is readily accessible with ADOCE.  SSCE is
also
> > fully usable.  Head over to www.devbuzz.com for tutorials on using both.

> > --
> > Chris Tacke, eMVP
> > Windows CE Product Manager
> > Applied Data Systems
> > www.applieddata.net

> > "Elliot M. Rodriguez" <elliotmrrodriguezathot maildotcom> wrote in
message

> > > Thanks for reading my post.

> > > I've gotten some info on starting PocketPC apps development with eVB,
> and
> > > have the emulator, but have a question regarding desktop development
> > without
> > > a PocketPC or its apps.

> > > One of the tasks I want to accomplish is create apps that use
> PocketAccess
> > > or SQLCE. I dont have a PocketPC (I'm not in that tax bracket yet),
but
> > i'd
> > > like to know if its possible for me to use my desktop's Access or SQL
> > Server
> > > 2K functionality as part of the emulation process. If this is possible
> > (I'm
> > > sure it is, but a newbie to eVB development), what do I need to look
out
> > > for? If its not, what are my alternatives?

> > > TIA

> > > --
> > > Elliot M. Rodriguez

> > > * Please format my email properly for email replies.*

1. Sync error between Pocket Access and Access on PC

I'm getting a weird ActiveSync error when trying to sync between a Pocket
Access Database and the Access Database on my PC.  The device is running
PPC2002, and my PC is running Win2k with Microsoft ActiveSync 3.6 (I get the
same error with verison 3.5 also).  The main error message I am receiving
is:

"On examination, table tblP2Category is either no longer on the device, no
longer in the host database, or its layout has changed. Synchronization will
no longer be performed for this table."
Now some of the tables sync correctly and then for some reason it hits a
particular table and then each table that is synced after that gives the
same error.  I know the table is on my device because my vb application
pulls the data from the table with no problem.  I know the table exists in
the host database (.mdb) because I have opened the table and read the data
in datasheet view.  And I know the table's layout has not changed on both
the host database (.mdb) and the device database (.cdb).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

A portion of the log file is below:

Error when synching csi4 with desktop:  An error occurred when synchronizing
Pocket Access databases with Microsoft Access databases.  To see details,
choose the Show Log button:

Saturday, October 12, 2002 10:56:33 AM, synchronization started.

**

Synchronizing database CSI4

 Synchronizing table tblAreaCode.

 Synchronizing table tblBEEWorkCode.

 Synchronizing table tblComplianceBurden.

 Synchronizing table tblP2Category.

    On examination, table tblP2Category is either no longer on the device,
no longer in the host database, or its layout has changed.

    Synchronization will no longer be performed for this table.

 Synchronizing table tblP2CategoryType.

    On examination, table tblP2CategoryType is either no longer on the
device, no longer in the host database, or its layout has changed.

    Synchronization will no longer be performed for this table.

2. Help !!!!!

3. Pocket Access and Desktop:Programmatic Access

4. computer restarts instead of shuts down

5. SSI

6. Viewing Pocket Access from within MS Access

7. CDA to WMA Conversion Sloooow - Help?

8. Pocket Access and Desktop:Programmatic Access

9. From MS Access to Pocket Access in emulator

10. Pocket Access and Desktop:Programmatic Access

11. How to convert *.mdb -> *.cdb without having Pocket Access?

12. file conversion Access -> Pocket Access (*.cdb)