install 2nd os win 98/xp

Post by leafsrule » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 06:32:28

anyone know where can find detailed info on installing
win 98/xp on a formatted hard drive 80 gig i have
partician magic but info in help section of software
not very good /any help much appriated thanks.Want
to set up dual os and use particians

install 2nd os win 98/xp

Post by David A. Spice » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 07:19:20

You can use FDisk from a Win98 boot disk to make the partitions. If you
don't have a boot disk you can get one from www.bootdisk.com Install Win98
first then install XP to another partition and XP will setup the dual boot
for you.

--
David A. Spicer
http://dhs.has.it

Quote:> anyone know where can find detailed info on installing
> win 98/xp on a formatted hard drive 80 gig i have
> partician magic but info in help section of software
> not very good /any help much appriated thanks.Want
> to set up dual os and use particians

install 2nd os win 98/xp

Post by Bruce Chamber » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:11:05

Greetings --

    The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x and WinXP would
be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

    C:          Primary                     FAT32      Win9x/Games
    D:          Extended                   NTFS        WinXP/Serious Apps

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s) size
and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
applications.  You needn't use the FAT32 or NTFS file systems for the two OS
partitions unless you want to, but this configuration allows you to take
full advantage of both OS's partition size, file management, and (for WinXP)
security features.  If you like, all of the partitions, as long as they're
no larger than 2 Gb, can be FAT16.  I don't recommend this, however, as it's
terribly wasteful of hard drive space.  When I last converted a 2 Gb FAT16
partition to FAT32, I gained an additional 300 Mb of free space. (Your
results will vary, of course, based upon the types and sizes of files you
have on the partition.)

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large disk
support (FAT32).  (No need for 3rd party partitioning utilities/boot
managers and their frequent complications.)

    Install Win9x first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or D:\Windows,
if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows directory.  When you
subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify "D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows,"
"C:\Winnt" as  referred/applicable) when asked for the default Windows
directory, to place it in the other partition. The WinXP  installation
routine will automatically set up a Multi-boot menu for you.  The default
settings for this menu can be readily edited from within WinXP.  NOTE:  If
you elect to place Win98 on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:"
drive as FAT32.

     This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by placing
the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either of the
operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the second operating
system on the second hard drive.

    It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared applications, but
it would be necessary for such a partition to be formatted in the common
file format (FAT32).  The applications would also have to be installed into
each OS (to ensure proper system file placement and registry updates), one
at a time, but the bulk of the program files could be located on this common
partition.  I do not, however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were
to uninstall such an application from one OS, you would not be able to
gracefully uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/mul....
asp

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

Quote:> anyone know where can find detailed info on installing
> win 98/xp on a formatted hard drive 80 gig i have
> partician magic but info in help section of software
> not very good /any help much appriated thanks.Want
> to set up dual os and use particians

install 2nd os win 98/xp

Post by und ze » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 02:31:24

Wow! That's awsome advice.  Truly!

Quote:> Greetings --

> [...]

were
> to uninstall such an application from one OS, you would not be able to
> gracefully uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
> installation data during the first uninstall action.

>     Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/mul....

> asp

> HTH&GL,

> Bruce Chambers
> __
> Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

> > anyone know where can find detailed info on installing
> > win 98/xp on a formatted hard drive 80 gig i have
> > partician magic but info in help section of software
> > not very good /any help much appriated thanks.Want

1. installing 2nd OS (win 98 2nd ed)

Hi
Could anybody tell me how to install windows 98 2nd ed as
a 2nd OS to my already installed windows XP Home
edition?.I am doing a course on IT from home ,and it is
all based on windows 98.It is difficult to learn about
Windows 98 when your OS is XP ,as very little seems to be
the same.
I have a 30 gig hard drive which has 2 partitions of 10
gig and 20 gig (approx),using FAT 32 partitioning.
The Windows XP is on the C drive ,and the D drive has
very little on it so far.
Thanks
Robert

2. using mediacenter with Tivo ??

3. Windows 98 SE reinstall as 2nd OS on XP NTFS system..?

4. SB16 in Win95: How to save AGC Settings?

5. Here are the steps to install Win 98 AFTER installing Win XP

6. Address Book(s) problem

7. is it possible to install win 98 after install win xp

8. Cannot Access Properties of Dial Up Internet Connection to Activate XP Firewall

9. I want Win 98 also as another OS beside Win XP Home

10. win 98 ------ crack to install on win 98

11. Installed XP to dual boot with existing 98 but 98 won't boot now

12. install xp after 98 2nd ed

13. Install 2 OS's on one computer (Win 98 and DOS 6.22)?