FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Dave Smit » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:44:49

I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also have
the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.  Will
I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
Thanks
Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by David A. Spice » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:01:27

You can upgrade 98 to XP by just placing the CD in the drive under 98, or do
a clean install of XP by booting from the XP CD and formatting the
drive/partition.

--
David A. Spicer
http://bizops.netfirms.com/links.html

Quote:> I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
have
> the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
Will
> I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> Thanks
> Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Tom » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:24:48

Hi Dave,

If you are planning on using XP-Pro, you will have to format your HDD. One
cannot upgrade from 98/ME versions to the pro version of XP anyway, only XP
Home. Since you are getting the full install version, you will be able to
install that clean without proof of similar previous OS as one does with the
upgrade versions. Depending on how much HDD space you have, you can
partition the drive and have both. Check out your hardware specs to see if
they are comaptible with XP before getting it, or you may have more probs
than you can imagine.

Get the exact model and number of your hardware to see if it will be
compatible with XPPro
Go here http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

Quote:> I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
have
> the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
Will
> I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> Thanks
> Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Bruce Chamber » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:58:17

Greetings --

    Wherever did you get the idea that Win9x couldn't be upgraded to WinXP
Pro?  Better check your facts.

Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
--------------------------
Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and "indecent
exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH

: Hi Dave,
:
[...]

: >
: >
:
:

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Bruce Chamber » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:00:36

Greetings --

    You can do this, but I'd recommend doing a clean install, anyway.  Then
you won't have to worry about any of Win98's old hybrid 16-bit/32-bit system
files and device drivers causing future conflicts and problems.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
--------------------------
Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and "indecent
exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH

: I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
have
: the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
Will
: I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
: Thanks
: Dave
:
:

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Daniel Yate » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:04:16

I a running XP Pro that was upgradd from Win ME so I would check your facts

Daniel yates

> Hi Dave,

> If you are planning on using XP-Pro, you will have to format your HDD. One
> cannot upgrade from 98/ME versions to the pro version of XP anyway, only
XP
> Home. Since you are getting the full install version, you will be able to
> install that clean without proof of similar previous OS as one does with
the
> upgrade versions. Depending on how much HDD space you have, you can
> partition the drive and have both. Check out your hardware specs to see if
> they are comaptible with XP before getting it, or you may have more probs
> than you can imagine.

> Get the exact model and number of your hardware to see if it will be
> compatible with XPPro
> Go here http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

> > I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
> have
> > the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
> Will
> > I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> > Thanks
> > Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Tom » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:23:27

Thanks all for the correction,

I do remember clearly seeing some experts here say that upgrading from 98/me
to XPpro isn't possible. I even remember seeing an official MS website
showing what can be upgraded and not. But the one you guys provided is
different and shows the opposite.

Tom

> Greetings --

>     You can do this, but I'd recommend doing a clean install, anyway.
Then
> you won't have to worry about any of Win98's old hybrid 16-bit/32-bit
system
> files and device drivers causing future conflicts and problems.

> HTH&GL,

> Bruce Chambers
> --------------------------
> Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
> nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and "indecent
> exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH

> : I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
> have
> : the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
> Will
> : I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> : Thanks
> : Dave
> :
> :

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Sharo » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:36:21

Maybe this is where the confusion came from? The OEM versions that can be
purchased with a qualifying bit of hardware (the more common type) are "full
versions" and do not perform upgrades. There would be one exception in this
category and that would be an OEM specifically providing a cd that is
capable of upgrading. A few people have reported being able to upgrade with
"OEM supplied" cd's but I think they got one of those special cd's from
their OEMs. The retail cd's (full or upgrade) can perform an upgrade install
from 98, 98SE, ME. WinNT4 and Win2000 can only be upgraded with XP Pro.
Sharon

> Thanks all for the correction,

> I do remember clearly seeing some experts here say that upgrading from
98/me
> to XPpro isn't possible. I even remember seeing an official MS website
> showing what can be upgraded and not. But the one you guys provided is
> different and shows the opposite.

> Tom

> > Greetings --

> >     You can do this, but I'd recommend doing a clean install, anyway.
> Then
> > you won't have to worry about any of Win98's old hybrid 16-bit/32-bit
> system
> > files and device drivers causing future conflicts and problems.

> > HTH&GL,

> > Bruce Chambers
> > --------------------------
> > Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
> > nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and
"indecent
> > exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH

> > : I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I
also
> > have
> > : the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
> > Will
> > : I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> > : Thanks
> > : Dave
> > :
> > :

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Dion & Belinda Scot » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:45:16

Before you load anything else, re-format your hard drive and start from
scratch.

Your WinXP Pro Full Version will tell you that you already have an operating
system installed and WILL NOT LOAD over Win 98.

Belinda

Quote:> I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
have
> the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
Will
> I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> Thanks
> Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Dion & Belinda Scot » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:47:12

He's right - the FULL XPPro version will not install over any other windows
program.  It MUST be clean install.

Had he had the UPGRADE VERSION, it may have worked but, as all will agree -
a clean install, is the best install.

> Greetings --

>     Wherever did you get the idea that Win9x couldn't be upgraded to WinXP
> Pro?  Better check your facts.

> Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

> HTH&GL,

> Bruce Chambers
> --------------------------
> Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
> nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and "indecent
> exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH

> : Hi Dave,
> :
> : If you are planning on using XP-Pro, you will have to format your HDD.
One
> : cannot upgrade from 98/ME versions to the pro version of XP anyway, only
> XP
> : Home. Since you are getting the full install version, you will be able
> : install that clean without proof of similar previous OS as one does with
> the
> : upgrade versions. Depending on how much HDD space you have, you can
> : partition the drive and have both. Check out your hardware specs to see
if
> : they are comaptible with XP before getting it, or you may have more
probs
> : than you can imagine.
> :
> : Get the exact model and number of your hardware to see if it will be
> : compatible with XPPro
> : Go here http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp
> :

> : > I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I
also
> : have
> : > the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
> : Will
> : > I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> : > Thanks
> : > Dave
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Bruce Chamber » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:21:32

Greetings --

    Actually, the retail full version of WinXP will perform an upgrade just
fine.  Most OEM full versions, on the other hand, will not.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
--------------------------

: > --------------------------
: > Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
: > nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and
"indecent
: > exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH
: >

: > : Hi Dave,
: > :
[...]

: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

Post by Oliver Costic » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:14:48

>Hi Dave,

>If you are planning on using XP-Pro, you will have to format your HDD. One
>cannot upgrade from 98/ME versions to the pro version of XP anyway, only XP
>Home. Since you are getting the full install version, you will be able to
>install that clean without proof of similar previous OS as one does with the
>upgrade versions. Depending on how much HDD space you have, you can
>partition the drive and have both. Check out your hardware specs to see if
>they are comaptible with XP before getting it, or you may have more probs
>than you can imagine.

Whe you don't know the answer to a question, it's better tosay you
don't know. This information is completely false.
>Get the exact model and number of your hardware to see if it will be
>compatible with XPPro
>Go here http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

>> I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
>have
>> the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
>Will
>> I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
>> Thanks
>> Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by <g> » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:46:40

no kidding!

> >Hi Dave,

> >If you are planning on using XP-Pro, you will have to format your HDD.
One
> >cannot upgrade from 98/ME versions to the pro version of XP anyway, only
XP
> >Home. Since you are getting the full install version, you will be able to
> >install that clean without proof of similar previous OS as one does with
the
> >upgrade versions. Depending on how much HDD space you have, you can
> >partition the drive and have both. Check out your hardware specs to see
if
> >they are comaptible with XP before getting it, or you may have more probs
> >than you can imagine.

> Whe you don't know the answer to a question, it's better tosay you
> don't know. This information is completely false.

> >Get the exact model and number of your hardware to see if it will be
> >compatible with XPPro
> >Go here http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

> >> I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
> >have
> >> the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
> >Will
> >> I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> >> Thanks
> >> Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by John E. Cart » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:10:47

Gee, I upgraded over Win98 SE using XP Pro without formatting. I ran dual
boot until I was satisfied that XP would run all my apps, and then formatted
and installed fresh.

> >Hi Dave,

> >If you are planning on using XP-Pro, you will have to format your HDD.
One
> >cannot upgrade from 98/ME versions to the pro version of XP anyway, only
XP
> >Home. Since you are getting the full install version, you will be able to
> >install that clean without proof of similar previous OS as one does with
the
> >upgrade versions. Depending on how much HDD space you have, you can
> >partition the drive and have both. Check out your hardware specs to see
if
> >they are comaptible with XP before getting it, or you may have more probs
> >than you can imagine.

> Whe you don't know the answer to a question, it's better tosay you
> don't know. This information is completely false.

> >Get the exact model and number of your hardware to see if it will be
> >compatible with XPPro
> >Go here http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

> >> I will shortly be getting a computer with Win 98 pre-installed.  I also
> >have
> >> the opportunity of getting a full (not upgrade) version of WinXP Pro.
> >Will
> >> I have to delete Win 98 or I can I just load over it?
> >> Thanks
> >> Dave

FULL install of XP pro over win 98?

Post by Tom » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:44:50

My Bad,
I misread his post and though he wanted to upgrade to home from a pro
version, which cannot be done. I do know what I meant, just that I
misunderstood his post, good catch :-).

If I really think I don't know, I dont post.