Back UPS problem or XP problem?

Post by Dennis Co » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:00:36

I've had an APC Office 280 back up battery installed for about 2 years.
When I first installed XP, I just upgraded over Win98 (big mistake...)
Among a lot of other error messages, I received something about my UPS
having a problem, etc. after playing with the Win power settings  About a
day later the battery in the UPS went to junk.  I realize that there's only
a 2 year warranty on the battery on this thing but its real strange that
about a day after I was goofing around with the power settings for the UPS
in XP, it went toes up!  I've since taken the UPS off of my system, ordered
a replacement and reformatted/clean installed XP.  Could Windows possibly
have caused the UPS to go bad prematurely or was it just coincidence.  Also,
do I need to do anything special when installing the replacement UPS?

Thanks!
DC

Back UPS problem or XP problem?

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 02:24:57

There is an update on Windows Update that addresses UPS problems.
--
Patty MacDuffie
MS MVP for Desktop Systems

> I've had an APC Office 280 back up battery installed for about 2 years.
> When I first installed XP, I just upgraded over Win98 (big mistake...)
> Among a lot of other error messages, I received something about my UPS
> having a problem, etc. after playing with the Win power settings  About a
> day later the battery in the UPS went to junk.  I realize that there's only
> a 2 year warranty on the battery on this thing but its real strange that
> about a day after I was goofing around with the power settings for the UPS
> in XP, it went toes up!  I've since taken the UPS off of my system, ordered
> a replacement and reformatted/clean installed XP.  Could Windows possibly
> have caused the UPS to go bad prematurely or was it just coincidence.  Also,
> do I need to do anything special when installing the replacement UPS?

> Thanks!
> DC

Back UPS problem or XP problem?

Post by Dennis Co » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 02:39:15

Thanks Patty, I did D/L that last night in preparation for the new UPS when
it arrives. Could XP or the faulty upgrade of XP have done something to the
UPS?  I thought it was just the power supply only, pretty strange

DC

There is an update on Windows Update that addresses UPS problems.
--
Patty MacDuffie
MS MVP for Desktop Systems

Quote:> I've had an APC Office 280 back up battery installed for about 2 years.
> When I first installed XP, I just upgraded over Win98 (big mistake...)
> Among a lot of other error messages, I received something about my UPS
> having a problem, etc. after playing with the Win power settings  About a
> day later the battery in the UPS went to junk.  I realize that there's
only
> a 2 year warranty on the battery on this thing but its real strange that
> about a day after I was goofing around with the power settings for the UPS
> in XP, it went toes up!  I've since taken the UPS off of my system,
ordered
> a replacement and reformatted/clean installed XP.  Could Windows possibly
> have caused the UPS to go bad prematurely or was it just coincidence.
Also,
> do I need to do anything special when installing the replacement UPS?

> Thanks!
> DC

Back UPS problem or XP problem?

Post by [Randy D » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:14:05

No. A battery is a battery. They *out every now and then. Just an
unfortunate coincidence

RD

> Thanks Patty, I did D/L that last night in preparation for the new UPS
when
> it arrives. Could XP or the faulty upgrade of XP have done something to
the
> UPS?  I thought it was just the power supply only, pretty strange

> DC

> There is an update on Windows Update that addresses UPS problems.
> --
> Patty MacDuffie
> MS MVP for Desktop Systems

> > I've had an APC Office 280 back up battery installed for about 2 years.
> > When I first installed XP, I just upgraded over Win98 (big mistake...)
> > Among a lot of other error messages, I received something about my UPS
> > having a problem, etc. after playing with the Win power settings  About
> > day later the battery in the UPS went to junk.  I realize that there's
> only
> > a 2 year warranty on the battery on this thing but its real strange that
> > about a day after I was goofing around with the power settings for the
UPS
> > in XP, it went toes up!  I've since taken the UPS off of my system,
> ordered
> > a replacement and reformatted/clean installed XP.  Could Windows
possibly
> > have caused the UPS to go bad prematurely or was it just coincidence.
> Also,
> > do I need to do anything special when installing the replacement UPS?

> > Thanks!
> > DC

Back UPS problem or XP problem?

Post by Patty MacDuffi » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:52:22

It's hard to say, Dennis.  I tend to agree with Randy, but I have seen very odd hardware failure coincidences (repeated over many people and different machines), tied to a piece of software, so one can never be sure.
--
Patty MacDuffie
MS MVP for Desktop Systems

> Thanks Patty, I did D/L that last night in preparation for the new UPS when
> it arrives. Could XP or the faulty upgrade of XP have done something to the
> UPS?  I thought it was just the power supply only, pretty strange

> DC

> There is an update on Windows Update that addresses UPS problems.
> --
> Patty MacDuffie
> MS MVP for Desktop Systems

> > I've had an APC Office 280 back up battery installed for about 2 years.
> > When I first installed XP, I just upgraded over Win98 (big mistake...)
> > Among a lot of other error messages, I received something about my UPS
> > having a problem, etc. after playing with the Win power settings  About a
> > day later the battery in the UPS went to junk.  I realize that there's
> only
> > a 2 year warranty on the battery on this thing but its real strange that
> > about a day after I was goofing around with the power settings for the UPS
> > in XP, it went toes up!  I've since taken the UPS off of my system,
> ordered
> > a replacement and reformatted/clean installed XP.  Could Windows possibly
> > have caused the UPS to go bad prematurely or was it just coincidence.
> Also,
> > do I need to do anything special when installing the replacement UPS?

> > Thanks!
> > DC

Back UPS problem or XP problem?

Post by Dennis Co » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:25:54

I was thinking along the lines of a battery is a battery too but it was
strange how and when it happened...

Thanks everyone for the input!

DC