Router, XP, 98 ping results (Steve)

Post by Webslinge » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:49:05

>I have read dozens of posts, visited many web pages and tried many
different
>configurations. I'm thoroughly mixed up. I have a Linksys 4 port router.
>Cable modem connected to WAN port. XP machine to port 1. Win98 machine to
>port 2. Each has internet access. Each machine cannot see the other.
>Therefore I cannot share files or printers. I know these two systems have
>lots of compatibility problems but maybe there is someone who has the same
>situation that works, and can give me a hand configuring this. Any help is
>greatly appreciated.

XP IP: Sent-4, Received-4, Lost-0, Round trip-0ms, Time<1ms, TTL-128
98 IP: Sent-4, Received-4, Lost-0, Round trip-0ms, Time<1ms, TTL-128
XP Name: Sent-4, Received-4, Lost-0, Round trip-0ms, Time<1ms, TTL-128
98 Name: Ping Request Could Not Find Host

What do you think?

Post by Steve Winogra » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:29:39

>>I have read dozens of posts, visited many web pages and tried many
>different
>>configurations. I'm thoroughly mixed up. I have a Linksys 4 port router.
>>Cable modem connected to WAN port. XP machine to port 1. Win98 machine to
>>port 2. Each has internet access. Each machine cannot see the other.
>>Therefore I cannot share files or printers. I know these two systems have
>>lots of compatibility problems but maybe there is someone who has the same
>>situation that works, and can give me a hand configuring this. Any help is
>>greatly appreciated.

>XP IP: Sent-4, Received-4, Lost-0, Round trip-0ms, Time<1ms, TTL-128
>98 IP: Sent-4, Received-4, Lost-0, Round trip-0ms, Time<1ms, TTL-128
>XP Name: Sent-4, Received-4, Lost-0, Round trip-0ms, Time<1ms, TTL-128
>98 Name: Ping Request Could Not Find Host

>What do you think?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your message.

Please do all of the pings on both computers and report exactly what
happened on each computer.

Post the message as a follow-up to my previous message.  Don't do what
you did here, posting it as a brand new message with a different
subject title.  Don't address the message to me personally.  Do
include the text of your first message and my reply.  That will help
everyone in the news group understand what's happening.

This can't be a private dialog between you and me.  It has to be an
open discussion for everyone in the news group.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

Sorry, but I don't give technical support by E-mail.
Please post all questions in the news group, and don't
E-mail your reply to me.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

1. XP, 98, ping results AMMENDED

Ping Results from XP machine
    ping <98's IP address> ping successful
    ping <XP's IP address>ping successful
    ping<98's computer name>"ping request could not find host "
    ping <XP's computer name>ping successful

Ping Results from 98 machine
    ping <98's IP address> ping successful
    ping <XP's IP address>ping successful
    ping<98's computer name>ping successful
    ping <XP's computer name>"Unknown Host"

All successful pings: Packets sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0
                              Approximate round trip < 0 milli-seconds

Please let me know if more info is needed.

2. CLOCK

3. XP & 98 & Steve's Websites & No file sharing with XP

4. UNC to Drive Map

5. XP / 98 Networking Issue Part 2 - Steve W.

6. Xp and 98

7. Fixed XP to Win 98 thanks to Steve Winograd

8. cd-rw problem

9. XP Pro / Win 98 Networking Issue - Steve W.

10. XP / 98 Networking Issue Part 2 - Steve W.

11. networking xp to 98 SE - xp is through a wireless router

12. OS Upgrade (98 to XP Pro) results in Outlook Express error