CD-R simple question

Post by Terry B » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:36:46

I'm sure one of you tech gurus can eat this for lunch: I just picked up my
1st pkge of CD-R's, cause I was havin trouble w/ the CD-R/RW's, and some

usin them, I soon noticed that (apparently?) I can not only write, but can
also delete,  files to the CD.
            I thought that w/ CD-R's, once to wrote to the disc you couldn't
alter what you'd written???
            Isn't anything/everything burned onto CD-R assumed to be Read
Only?

(I told you it was a simple question!)  Thanks for your time and attention
to detail.

CD-R simple question

Post by Sir_Georg » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:45:13

Terry B,

You can erase/remove files or folders from a CD/R disk, but you cannot
recover the space on the disk. Once the file/folder has been recorded the
space is unavailable and cannot be reclaimed.

--
Sir_George
For better access to newsgroups;

> I'm sure one of you tech gurus can eat this for lunch: I just picked up my
> 1st pkge of CD-R's, cause I was havin trouble w/ the CD-R/RW's, and some

started
> usin them, I soon noticed that (apparently?) I can not only write, but can
> also delete,  files to the CD.
>             I thought that w/ CD-R's, once to wrote to the disc you
couldn't
> alter what you'd written???
>             Isn't anything/everything burned onto CD-R assumed to be Read
> Only?

> (I told you it was a simple question!)  Thanks for your time and attention
> to detail.

CD-R simple question

Post by Jim Mackli » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:49:31

You can delete a file on either a CD-R or  CD-RW but on a
CD-R the space can't be written to again.  A CD-RW can be
written and erased and written again, estimated cycles 1,000
+

| I'm sure one of you tech gurus can eat this for lunch: I
just picked up my
| 1st pkge of CD-R's, cause I was havin trouble w/ the
CD-R/RW's, and some

reliable....but when I started
| usin them, I soon noticed that (apparently?) I can not
only write, but can
| also delete,  files to the CD.
|             I thought that w/ CD-R's, once to wrote to the
disc you couldn't
| alter what you'd written???
|             Isn't anything/everything burned onto CD-R
assumed to be Read
| Only?
|
| (I told you it was a simple question!)  Thanks for your
time and attention
| to detail.

CD-R simple question

Post by Alex Nicho » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:48:42

>I'm sure one of you tech gurus can eat this for lunch: I just picked up my
>1st pkge of CD-R's, cause I was havin trouble w/ the CD-R/RW's, and some

>usin them, I soon noticed that (apparently?) I can not only write, but can
>also delete,  files to the CD.
>            I thought that w/ CD-R's, once to wrote to the disc you couldn't
>alter what you'd written???

The inbuilt method stashes up files and writes a batch as a 'session'..
When you come to write a new session, that links to the previous one -
so you see all the files on the CD as if in a uniform setup.  But if
that new session contains a new version of a file, with the same name
and path, the new one only is seen - so it *appears* that the old one
has been overwritten - it hasn't; it is still there, but ignored

1. Simple question from a simple person

As a complete computer novice, could anyone give me a
step by step guide to copying my lp's to cd? I'm using
windows xp and have pre installed Prassi Primo 2.0. I
have copied photos to cd so everything seems to work ok.
Do i need any special plug ins or adaptors? Any help is
gratefully appreciated.

2. Genius GeniScan GS-4500

3. A simple question - is there a simple answer?

4. Where do I apply Folder/File permissions.

5. simple simple print question

6. media player not copying right, invalid alignment?

7. a simple simple question...

8. CDROM Tower & single drv letter

9. A Simple Question from a simple man

10. ms write, simple program, simple questions

11. 2 simple questions from a simple fulla :-)

12. Simple Question, ? Simple Answers

13. A simple one, I know...but humour me - simple security question