Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by JPL » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:38:05

Will they fix this problem ? I can't play at 60Hz
(OpenGL) nor 75Hz (DirectX), it's uncomfortable for my
eyes !

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by Bill Crocke » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:46:43

It's not a limitation in Windows XP, as you put it.  The problem is with
your video card / monitor drivers.  Go to the manufactures site, and see if
they have appropriate updated drivers, to support their product under XP.

Bill Crocker

Quote:> Will they fix this problem ? I can't play at 60Hz
> (OpenGL) nor 75Hz (DirectX), it's uncomfortable for my
> eyes !

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by JPL » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:19:56

From "http://www.veryComputer.com/" :

"
Microsoft Windows XP offers many great new features and
innovations for both consumers and corporate users alike,
but if you play computer games, you might want to think
twice before purchasing XP to replace your Windows 98/ME
operating system.  Windows XP suffers from huge
limitations in the way it handles monitor refresh rates,
and buying XP will increase monitor flicker and could
severely hurt your eyes!

By default, Windows 98/ME always plays games at the
highest refresh rate your monitor and video card can
handle, and this offers the least flicker and the least
eyestrain possible.  However, Windows XP plays games at
much lower refresh rates.  In every resolution, all
DirectX games in Windows XP run at only 75 Hz, and all
OpenGL games in Windows XP run at only 60 Hz.  That's
right, OpenGL based Quake III Arena will run at only 60
Hz in XP!  Both of these refresh rate settings will give
you much added eyestrain and a * headache after
playing for a while.  This * refresh rate issue is
such a HUGE and OBVIOUS problem, it makes you wonder how
Microsoft can even ship an operating system with such a
huge flaw.

Games however, are not the only area refresh rates are
handled poorly in Windows XP.  When setting your 2D
desktop refresh rate in "Display Properties," Microsoft
got rid of the "Optimal" refresh rate setting in Windows
XP.  In Windows 98/ME, Windows is automatically set at
an "Optimal" refresh rate setting in "Display
Properties," and Windows always uses the highest refresh
rate possible at EVERY resolution on the 2D desktop.
Now, since Windows XP only uses static refresh rate
values instead of the "Optimal" setting in "Display
Properties," every time you switch resolutions in XP, you
have to manually change your refresh rate setting to the
highest available to get the best display quality
possible on the 2D desktop.  With an "Optimal" setting,
users don't need to worry about refresh rates at all.

Also, no matter what people may tell you, this is NOT a
driver issue.  These refresh rate problems happen with
EVERY video card on the market, with all available
drivers.  It happens on NVIDIA, ATI, S3, Matrox, 3dfx,
and all other video cards.  Even with drivers designed
for Windows XP, you will still experience these problems.

Furthermore, don't believe the myth that it's bad to run
your monitor at high refresh rates, even if your monitor
supports them. Running your monitor at high refresh
rates, as long as your monitor can support them, will not
damage or cause any added stress to your monitor.  I have
confirmed this with multiple monitor manufactures.  While
most people can't consciously tell the difference between
85 Hz and higher refresh rates, running at higher refresh
rates will still cause less eyestrain after you use your
computer for an extended period of time, so it is best to
run your monitor at the highest refresh rate possible.

"

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by Zekky » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:26:21

Actually, it is a limitation to Windows XP (and Windows 2000 as well).  MS
decided for compatibility reasons to force games  in W2K & XP to use the
lowest refresh available (60hz) instead of the best available.  There are
numerous fixes for this problem (do a google search for xp refresh fix) that
work to varying degrees of success depending on which graphics card you own
and which drivers you're using.

Cheers,
Wade

Post by Scott Hembroug » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:54:27

Quote:> Will they fix this problem ? I can't play at 60Hz
> (OpenGL) nor 75Hz (DirectX), it's uncomfortable for my
> eyes !

If you have an Nvidia card, the "NVidia Refresh Rate" utility works great --
unless you have the latest drivers.  If so, it doesn't work at all.  There
is another option, however.  I downloaded a utility called MultiRes, and
this seems to take care of the refresh rate problems by allowing you to
"lock" the refresh rates for your favorite resolutions.  You can find it at
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/cgi-bin/cc.exe?url=168.144.101.149/ftp/mu....
exe.

Gook luck!

--
Scott

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by Walter Clayto » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:31:25

Contrary to what everyone else is claiming, I'm getting 85Mhz in games
without any 3rd party or manual assist. Are you sure you're getting the
refresh rates you think you're getting?

If you're using an NVidia card try the latest drivers.

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(MPS-D)
Associate Expert

Quote:> Will they fix this problem ? I can't play at 60Hz
> (OpenGL) nor 75Hz (DirectX), it's uncomfortable for my
> eyes !

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by Panaqu » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 05:05:34

nVidia web site states that the refresh rate problem is due to wrong or bad
monitor driver. If your monitor driver does not show the all rates available
in the Display Settings then the Geforce will not use them. I suspect that
most people are using the standard MS plug and play drivers, not a good idea
when performance is important.

I have installed the makers drivers for my monitor. I also have no problem
with the refresh rates. BTW My monitor is using Win2000 drivers and all the
refresh rates available are shown in the monitor section of Display
Settings.

> Contrary to what everyone else is claiming, I'm getting 85Mhz in games
> without any 3rd party or manual assist. Are you sure you're getting the
> refresh rates you think you're getting?

> If you're using an NVidia card try the latest drivers.

> --
> Walter Clayton - MS MVP(MPS-D)
> Associate Expert
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> http://www.dts-l.org
> http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/default.asp

> > Will they fix this problem ? I can't play at 60Hz
> > (OpenGL) nor 75Hz (DirectX), it's uncomfortable for my
> > eyes !

Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

Post by Walter Clayto » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:26:31

'Tis possible, however I'm using XP out of the box infs for both of my
monitors.

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(MPS-D)
Associate Expert
http://www.dts-l.org
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/default.asp

> nVidia web site states that the refresh rate problem is due to wrong or
bad
> monitor driver. If your monitor driver does not show the all rates
available
> in the Display Settings then the Geforce will not use them. I suspect that
> most people are using the standard MS plug and play drivers, not a good
idea
> when performance is important.

> I have installed the makers drivers for my monitor. I also have no problem
> with the refresh rates. BTW My monitor is using Win2000 drivers and all
the
> refresh rates available are shown in the monitor section of Display
> Settings.

> > Contrary to what everyone else is claiming, I'm getting 85Mhz in games
> > without any 3rd party or manual assist. Are you sure you're getting the
> > refresh rates you think you're getting?

> > If you're using an NVidia card try the latest drivers.

> > --
> > Walter Clayton - MS MVP(MPS-D)
> > Associate Expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> > http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/default.asp

> > > Will they fix this problem ? I can't play at 60Hz
> > > (OpenGL) nor 75Hz (DirectX), it's uncomfortable for my
> > > eyes !

1. http://xp-refresh.net - Help Fix the Refresh Rate Limitations in Windows XP

There is a new site up at http://xp-refresh.net that exposes the refresh
rate limitations in Windows XP.  The goal of the site is to get users to
contact Microsoft about them so they will eventually get fixed.   I know you
all hate getting low refresh rates in games as much as I do ;).  Please
visit the site and learn how to help get Microsoft's attention so they can
fix these refresh rate problems in future service packs and releases of
Windows.

Jason Webb

2. outlook express 6.0

3. Help Fix the Refresh Rate Limitations in Windows XP

4. Has anyone ever heard of ZyImage?

5. Refresh rate limitations in Windows XP !!!

6. please tell me how do i install windows xp pro whithout using a earlier version

7. Help Fix the Refresh Rate Limitations in Windows XP

8. unable to access i/o port with com2 and nokia data cable

9. Matrox G200 Refresh Rate Limitations

10. Frame rate and refresh rate

11. Windows XP and slow refresh rates

12. Windows XP and Low Refresh Rate