Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

Post by DLKR » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:48:13

Using XP Home.
Have 2 physical hard drives.
Disk 0 contains 2 partitions : C: (OS and Programs) and D: (Data)
Disk 1 contains 3 partitions: E: (Page File), F: (Backups), G:(Images) and
about 14GB of free space.
Several months ago, using the instructions in KBA 307844, I assigned drive
letter R: to my CD-ROM and drive letter W: to my CD-R/RW.  Everything went
OK and the drive letter designations remained as assigned until this morning
when I noticed the CD-ROM was assigned drive letter I (capital i) and the
CD-R/RW was assigned drive letter H: I don't know exactly when the drive
letters changed, it could have been this morning or it could have been
several days to a week or so ago.
I changed the drive letter assignments back to R: and W: respectively using
the procedure outlined in KBA  307844, i.e. Control Panel/Admin
Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, right click on drive, click
"Change
Drive Letter and Paths", click "Change" (the "Assign the following drive
letter" button was already selected), clicked the appropriate drive letter I
wanted to assign to the drive, clicked "OK", clicked " YES".
The changes were made OK and the changes showed correctly on Explorer until
I shut down and restart or reboot; then the drive letters revert back to I
for the CD-ROM drive and to H: for the CD-R/RW drive.  I tried re-assigning
the drive letters several times with same result - the assigned drive
letters won't stick thru a restart/reboot.

Some additional info - may/may not be relevant:
As usual, I've been installing/uninstalling software over the past week or
so - most I've
been trying various popup stoppers and ad blockers.  Since I don't know
exactly when the drive letter assignment problem started, I can't really
relate it to the installation, running or removal of any of these programs.
All of these programs have been removed.
Another thing I noticed (don't know if this is unusual or not) but neither
the CR-ROM drive nor the CR-R/RW drive will show when "Disk Management" is
clicked unless there is a CD in the drive.
I also ran TweakUI for XP/My Computer/Drives  and unchecked all but C, D, E,
F, G, R, and W thinking this might prevent assigning drive letters I and H.
After rebooting, neither the CD-ROM nor the CD-R/RW drive was shown when I
opened Explorer.  After putting CDs in the drives, they showed as I and H
as before.
So, I give up.
It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to be able to "permanently" reassign the
CD-ROM and CD-R/RW drive letters (i.e. have them stick after a
restart/reboot).
Anyone have some ideas/suggestions/help?
Thanks

Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

Post by xe77 » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:58:57

Try using Disk Management from the Computer Management
console in Administrative Tools (you must be logged on as
an administrator)  Assign the drive letters from the Disk
Management Console by right-clicking the CD-ROM devices
and choosing "Change drive letter and Paths.."

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Using XP Home.
>Have 2 physical hard drives.
>Disk 0 contains 2 partitions : C: (OS and Programs) and
D: (Data)
>Disk 1 contains 3 partitions: E: (Page File), F:

(Backups), G:(Images) and
Quote:>about 14GB of free space.
>Several months ago, using the instructions in KBA

307844, I assigned drive
Quote:>letter R: to my CD-ROM and drive letter W: to my CD-

R/RW.  Everything went
Quote:>OK and the drive letter designations remained as

assigned until this morning
Quote:>when I noticed the CD-ROM was assigned drive letter I
(capital i) and the
>CD-R/RW was assigned drive letter H: I don't know

exactly when the drive
Quote:>letters changed, it could have been this morning or it
could have been
>several days to a week or so ago.
>I changed the drive letter assignments back to R: and W:
respectively using
>the procedure outlined in KBA  307844, i.e. Control
Panel/Admin
>Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, right click
on drive, click
>"Change
>Drive Letter and Paths", click "Change" (the "Assign the
following drive
>letter" button was already selected), clicked the

appropriate drive letter I
Quote:>wanted to assign to the drive, clicked "OK", clicked "
YES".
>The changes were made OK and the changes showed

correctly on Explorer until
Quote:>I shut down and restart or reboot; then the drive

letters revert back to I
Quote:>for the CD-ROM drive and to H: for the CD-R/RW drive.  I
tried re-assigning
>the drive letters several times with same result - the
assigned drive
>letters won't stick thru a restart/reboot.

>Some additional info - may/may not be relevant:
>As usual, I've been installing/uninstalling software

over the past week or
Quote:>so - most I've
>been trying various popup stoppers and ad blockers.
Since I don't know
>exactly when the drive letter assignment problem

started, I can't really
Quote:>relate it to the installation, running or removal of any
of these programs.
>All of these programs have been removed.
>Another thing I noticed (don't know if this is unusual
or not) but neither
>the CR-ROM drive nor the CR-R/RW drive will show

when "Disk Management" is
Quote:>clicked unless there is a CD in the drive.
>I also ran TweakUI for XP/My Computer/Drives  and

unchecked all but C, D, E,
Quote:>F, G, R, and W thinking this might prevent assigning

drive letters I and H.
Quote:>After rebooting, neither the CD-ROM nor the CD-R/RW

drive was shown when I
Quote:>opened Explorer.  After putting CDs in the drives, they
showed as I and H
>as before.
>So, I give up.
>It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to be able

to "permanently" reassign the
Quote:>CD-ROM and CD-R/RW drive letters (i.e. have them stick
after a
>restart/reboot).
>Anyone have some ideas/suggestions/help?
>Thanks

>.

Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

Post by DLKR » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:38:42

Did you read my posting?  I think I did precisely what you suggested.  Am I
missing something?

Quote:> Try using Disk Management from the Computer Management
> console in Administrative Tools (you must be logged on as
> an administrator)  Assign the drive letters from the Disk
> Management Console by right-clicking the CD-ROM devices
> and choosing "Change drive letter and Paths.."

1. cd drive f (DVD/CD-ROM) and cd drive e (CD-RW)

Hi,

Go to http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

Peter

     hi. i was wondering if anyone can help me. one problem that i have is with my cd-rom/dvd drive. my computer has stated that it is functioning properly; however when i put a disc in the drive it will not play. a message that says please put disc in drive appears even though a disc is in it already. my cd-rw drive will play a disc with audio tracks but i cannot send any files to the drive to burn or copy. i have already uninstalled both, rebooted, and let windows xp redetect and reinstall both. if anyone can help thanks.

2. Sandi - Update/Thanks!

3. Emachines CD-ROM RW/DVD Drive Reading CD's, but NOT Burning Cd's

4. Why No Registry Backup Option...?

5. Cd-rom/dvd-rom drives won't read date from cd-r

6. File-manager can't see all files on a NTAS server ????

7. Assigning a drive letter to CD rom drive.

8. Standby No Reponse

9. Wrong drive letters for CD ROM & CD-RW

10. CD-R is read diiferently on CD-RW and CD-ROM drives

11. Assign drive letter to CD-ROM

12. My CD-RW drive shows up as a CD-ROM drive after installation of windows xp.

13. XP Home: Created CD in CD-RW drive won't read in other drives