Installed XP to dual boot with existing 98 but 98 won't boot now

Installed XP to dual boot with existing 98 but 98 won't boot now

Post by atilano rez » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:46:53

Hello,

I already had Win 98SE on my machine and then just last
weekend installed another hard drive and set it as the
slave to the Win 98 hardive which is the master.  I
installed XP on the slave drive so that I could keep the
two operating systems on different hard drives.  XP seemed
to install fine and boots up fine.  I have 98 and XP setup
in dual boot mode but ever since I installed XP, my
windows 98 won't boot up.  It starts up with the Windows
98 splash screen as if it going to boot and then the
colored status bar at the bottom on that screen freezes
and it just sits on that same screen and does nothing.  It
won't even bootup in Safe Mode.  It appears that
installing XP has modified some of the files for Win 98
since it is the bootable drive.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to correct this? Any help is
appreciated. If anybody can help please email me at

Installed XP to dual boot with existing 98 but 98 won't boot now

Post by pete » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:24:07

Did you install XP as a new installation while you were in 98??
That is the only way to set up the dual boot options without going through a
lot of fixes
peter

| Hello,
|
| I already had Win 98SE on my machine and then just last
| weekend installed another hard drive and set it as the
| slave to the Win 98 hardive which is the master.  I
| installed XP on the slave drive so that I could keep the
| two operating systems on different hard drives.  XP seemed
| to install fine and boots up fine.  I have 98 and XP setup
| in dual boot mode but ever since I installed XP, my
| windows 98 won't boot up.  It starts up with the Windows
| 98 splash screen as if it going to boot and then the
| colored status bar at the bottom on that screen freezes
| and it just sits on that same screen and does nothing.  It
| won't even bootup in Safe Mode.  It appears that
| installing XP has modified some of the files for Win 98
| since it is the bootable drive.  Does anyone have any
| suggestions on how to correct this? Any help is
| appreciated. If anybody can help please email me at

---

Installed XP to dual boot with existing 98 but 98 won't boot now

Post by Atilano Rez » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 03:15:22

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I did install windows xp while I
was in windows 98 . I have tried to install windows xp but
I keep having the same problem. Any suggestion on how to
fix this problem?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Did you install XP as a new installation while you were
in 98??
>That is the only way to set up the dual boot options

without going through a
>lot of fixes
>peter

>| Hello,
>|
>| I already had Win 98SE on my machine and then just last
>| weekend installed another hard drive and set it as the
>| slave to the Win 98 hardive which is the master.  I
>| installed XP on the slave drive so that I could keep the
>| two operating systems on different hard drives.  XP
seemed
>| to install fine and boots up fine.  I have 98 and XP
setup
>| in dual boot mode but ever since I installed XP, my
>| windows 98 won't boot up.  It starts up with the Windows
>| 98 splash screen as if it going to boot and then the
>| colored status bar at the bottom on that screen freezes
>| and it just sits on that same screen and does nothing.
It
>| won't even bootup in Safe Mode.  It appears that
>| installing XP has modified some of the files for Win 98
>| since it is the bootable drive.  Does anyone have any
>| suggestions on how to correct this? Any help is
>| appreciated. If anybody can help please email me at

>---

09/09/2002