Start menu "Run" and "Search" commands

Post by Dave » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:25:14

When I click on the start menu, the options for "run"
and "search" are not there.  I tried to add them by right
clicking and selecting "properties", / "Start Menu" Tab /
customize / advanced and then checking the box for those
items.  But they are not on the list to select.  Does
anyone have any idea on how to add them?

Start menu "Run" and "Search" commands

Post by Stuart Hudman [MSFT » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:55:16

You may have removed them via the local group policy somehow.  Check by
running GPEDIT.MSC and navigating to :

UserConfiguration/AdminTemplates/StartMenu&Taskbar

and seeing whether the Remove Run and Remove Search policies have been
Enabled

--

===================
 Stuart Hudman [MSFT]

Quote:> When I click on the start menu, the options for "run"
> and "search" are not there.  I tried to add them by right
> clicking and selecting "properties", / "Start Menu" Tab /
> customize / advanced and then checking the box for those
> items.  But they are not on the list to select.  Does
> anyone have any idea on how to add them?

1. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu

This is advice, rather than a request for information ...

When playing around with Windows XP Tweaking software, such as

MicroSoft PowerToys "TweakUI for XP"
JerMar "TweakiFor Power Users" version 4
TweakXP Pro 2.0

or even the properties of the Start menu, it is possible to disable
the run, search and help icons from the Start menu ... Some of them
disable the button, whilst others disable the functionality ...

The problem comes when you switch off the functionality with one
Tweaking program, and try to use another to switch it back on. (Bad
idea on reflection :-) ...

Anyway, what I found was out of the four methods mentioned above,
using "Tweaki...For Power Users" (available from
http://www.jermar.com) was able to re-enable the icons irrelevent of
what program was used to disable them ...

Using "Tweaki For Power Users" (available from:
http://www.jermar.com") go to Security and on the Interface page,
scroll to the bottom, and check the boxes next to: "Remove Help
option", "Remove 'Run' command", and "Remove 'Search' command" click
on Done reboot then go back into "TweakiFor Power Users" and
uncheck these boxes again once you have applied the changes, reboot
again and they should work again

(well, they did for me anyway :-)

2. 16 bit or 32 bit install programs

3. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Suport" (Start Menu)

4. copy emails

5. I want to change the "Search" "thing" in my start menu.

6. Desktop Icon Disappeared from Quick Launch Bar

7. CE .NET: Removing "Run..." and "Documents" entries from start menu

8. Slave printing problem using FTP's VT emulator v2.3. Please Help!!

9. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"

10. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

11. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

12. Right click context menu has "SEARCH" at the top instead of "OPEN"

13. "Search" & "Run"