.wps file issue

Post by Vic Parke » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:59:52

We have two computers in our home.  One runs WinXP pro and the other runs
WinME.  In order to get a clean start on the WinME system, I recently
reformatted and reistalled the OS.  Before doing so, I transferred all files
I wanted to keep to the WinXP system thru our home network - althought the
main drive of this winXP system is NTFS, the drive I transfered the files to
is FAT32 formatted.  After the reinstall of the os was complete, I
transferred the files back from the XP system to the WinME.  All the files
seem to be intact, but when i open them in Works (or any other word
processor for that matter), the file(s) are filled with "jibberish" where
before there was none.  Any ideas what the problem may be.  Thank you for
any help you can offer!

.wps file issue

Post by greg » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:55:53

Quote:> We have two computers in our home.  One runs WinXP pro and the other runs
> WinME.  In order to get a clean start on the WinME system, I recently
> reformatted and reistalled the OS.  Before doing so, I transferred all
files
> I wanted to keep to the WinXP system thru our home network - althought the
> main drive of this winXP system is NTFS, the drive I transfered the files
> is FAT32 formatted.  After the reinstall of the os was complete, I
> transferred the files back from the XP system to the WinME.  All the files
> seem to be intact, but when i open them in Works (or any other word
> processor for that matter), the file(s) are filled with "jibberish" where
> before there was none.  Any ideas what the problem may be.  Thank you for
> any help you can offer!

Depends on the age of your Works but there WAS a problem some time back with
the filename where if you started with a number and depending on what you
had next if it wasn't a letter, then you could still OPEN the file but it
would come out like crap. To solve it, if this IS the issue, you only need
rename your file to something else or update your Works. Rename to a normal
name, such as test.wps and if everything then comes up OK it is that
problem. Suggest you copy an affected file to some other part of your HD to
do this test on, though.

Regards, Greg.

.wps file issue

Post by Maurice » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:20:00

What program or "utility" did you use to "transfer" the files ?  & was it
the same one in both cases?
--
- -
Maurice N