Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:03:35



Hi all,

I am getting an "invalid BOOT.INI, booting from c:\windows\" flash on the
screen for a few seconds before my WinXP starts up.  This can't be good -
although WinXP still starts up normally - what is wrong?  How can I fix
this?  Is there a program that can repair this BOOT.INI file and where can I
find it?

Thanks, William

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:46:51


Hi all,

I looked in my boot c:\ directory and cannot find the boot.ini (yes I
selected the folder option view protected files checkbox).  I guess it must
of somehow been erased - I am trying to re-install everything at once right
now to get my system up again (clean install upgrade from Win98).  I tried a
Google search for this topic and found out that I should boot using the XP
disc and go into the Recovery Console to type the command: bootcfg /rebuild.
However when I tried that, it asks me to logon to the c:\windows then ask
for a Administrator's Password.  I didn't put one in when I installed WinXP
Pro, I am the only user.  It didn't like me just pressing return.  I then
did another search for this problem, and they said that it was the wrong
Repair Mode, and that I should just proceed with the installation option -
they would offer me the repair option after the license screen.  I did that
all the way to choosing the partition and choosing to keep my file format
intact - then I got scared - I didn't want a fresh copy of WinXP installed
and loose all my settings and drivers.  Should I have gone further?  Would a
re-installation keep all my settings and drivers intact?  Would there be a
repair option to issue the command: bootcfg /rebuild further down the road
without wiping out my HDD to start all over again?

Thanks, (is there a repair program that does this for me? or is it harmful
to run without a boot.ini?)

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:16:01


Hi Mr. XP,

My page after the license agreement doesn't give me the option of repairing
the Windows XP Installation as the screen capture suggests.  My screen gives
three options: setup Windows XP on the selected item, to create a partition,
or delete a partion (I can't remember exactly what the other two were) but
below them showed all the available hard drives and partitions.  I am
worried that this will do a clean install.

Thanks,
William

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by Jason Tsan » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:05:49


See here for instructions on how to do a repair install
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx


Quote:> Hi Mr. XP,

> My page after the license agreement doesn't give me the option of
> repairing
> the Windows XP Installation as the screen capture suggests.  My screen
> gives
> three options: setup Windows XP on the selected item, to create a
> partition,
> or delete a partion (I can't remember exactly what the other two were) but
> below them showed all the available hard drives and partitions.  I am
> worried that this will do a clean install.

> Thanks,
> William

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:43:53



> Hi Mr. XP,

> My page after the license agreement doesn't give me the option of
repairing
> the Windows XP Installation as the screen capture suggests.  My screen
gives
> three options: setup Windows XP on the selected item, to create a
partition,
> or delete a partion (I can't remember exactly what the other two were) but
> below them showed all the available hard drives and partitions.  I am
> worried that this will do a clean install.

> Thanks,
> William

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by Barr » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:56:45


Is your copy an OEM copy of XP? or a oem restore disk?
>-----Original Message-----



>> Hi Mr. XP,

>> My page after the license agreement doesn't give me the
option of
>repairing
>> the Windows XP Installation as the screen capture

suggests.  My screen
Quote:>gives
>> three options: setup Windows XP on the selected item,
to create a
>partition,
>> or delete a partion (I can't remember exactly what the
other two were) but
>> below them showed all the available hard drives and
partitions.  I am
>> worried that this will do a clean install.

>> Thanks,
>> William

>.

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by Michael Steven » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:52:19



Quote:> Hi Mr. XP,

> My page after the license agreement doesn't give me the option of
repairing
> the Windows XP Installation as the screen capture suggests.  My screen
gives
> three options: setup Windows XP on the selected item, to create a
partition,
> or delete a partion (I can't remember exactly what the other two were) but
> below them showed all the available hard drives and partitions.  I am
> worried that this will do a clean install.

> Thanks,
> William

I am afraid if you get this as your only choices, you will not do a clean
install unless you choose to; but you will lose everything in the Windows,
and Documents and Settings folders. Backup those folders before running
setup, or you could rename them if you have the space.
You might try booting into the Recovery Console to run fixboot and bootcfg.
try bootcfg /add.
I haven't had any luck when I don't get the option to do the Repair Install,
but it won't hurt to try.
Recovery console.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#RC
Repair install, check the warning link.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by Michael Steven » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:32:55



Quote:> Hi all,

> I looked in my boot c:\ directory and cannot find the boot.ini (yes I
> selected the folder option view protected files checkbox).  I guess it
must
> of somehow been erased - I am trying to re-install everything at once
right
> now to get my system up again (clean install upgrade from Win98).  I tried
a
> Google search for this topic and found out that I should boot using the XP
> disc and go into the Recovery Console to type the command: bootcfg
/rebuild.
> However when I tried that, it asks me to logon to the c:\windows then ask
> for a Administrator's Password.  I didn't put one in when I installed
WinXP
> Pro, I am the only user.  It didn't like me just pressing return.  I then
> did another search for this problem, and they said that it was the wrong
> Repair Mode, and that I should just proceed with the installation option -
> they would offer me the repair option after the license screen.  I did
that
> all the way to choosing the partition and choosing to keep my file format
> intact - then I got scared - I didn't want a fresh copy of WinXP installed
> and loose all my settings and drivers.  Should I have gone further?  Would
a
> re-installation keep all my settings and drivers intact?  Would there be a
> repair option to issue the command: bootcfg /rebuild further down the road
> without wiping out my HDD to start all over again?

> Thanks, (is there a repair program that does this for me? or is it harmful
> to run without a boot.ini?)

You were right not to continue. Check my reply to you in this thread.
For the recovery console password, see the links below.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308402&ID

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q308402
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by Alex Nicho » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:50:28



>I am getting an "invalid BOOT.INI, booting from c:\windows\" flash on the
>screen for a few seconds before my WinXP starts up.  This can't be good -
>although WinXP still starts up normally - what is wrong?  How can I fix
>this?  Is there a program that can repair this BOOT.INI file and where can I
>find it?

If you have a regular CD of XP., set BIOS to boot it, then from it take
the immediate R (repair), leaving any request for password blank unless
you remember setting one for the Administrator account.

From that, give the command
BootCfg  /Rebuild

If you don't make the file C:\boot.ini using Notepad - it should contain
something like

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

partition(1) *might* need adjustment if you have multiple partitions on
the drive,but I doubt it.  If you do make such a hand-built file, check
it out by Start - Run - MSConfig.exe and on the BOOT.INI page click
'Check all Boot Paths'. (And exit with Cancel)

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by Alex Nicho » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:52:47



>Visit http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm and click
>on "How to Run a Repair Install".

For that problem there is *no* need for a full repair install.  Either
rebuild the file with Notepad - as he can get into windows by the
default assumption - or use the first R Recovery console BootCfg
/Rebuild command

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:00:09


Thanks Michael,

The second link was exactly what was happening - I did download the floppy
boot-up disk just in case.  But my problem is now solved by just manually
pasting in the boot.ini entries provided by Alex and all seems well.  I just
hope this missing boot.ini file isn't indicative of other files missing or
the tip of a bigger problem - I'm crossing my fingers at this point.

Thank you all for your assistance.
William

 
 
 

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:00:13


Thank you Alex,

I pasted it in and it now starts up no problem - I wonder how it got deleted
in the first place...
I ran MSCONFIG and checked all boot path button and everything is okay.  I
am just a little worried now that if I ever had to do a repair, it might be
more difficult than I thought.

Thank you again.

 
 
 

1. Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Hi all,

I am getting an "invalid BOOT.INI, booting from c:\windows\" flash on the
screen for a few seconds before my WinXP starts up.  This can't be good -
although WinXP still starts up normally - what is wrong?  How can I fix
this?  Is there a program that can repair this BOOT.INI file and where can I
find it?

Thanks, William

2. Reset power

3. WMP 7.1 gives echos & reverb with volume

4. can't access newsgroup via proxy

5. Error message: NTLDR: Fatal Error 1 reading BOOT.ini

6. Router, Network Wizard, 2 PC's

7. Can't find boot.ini... only boot.ini.backup

8. invalid boot.ini error message

9. Booting up Error 'Boot.ini'

10. Invalid Boot.ini message...

11. Invalid boot.ini message