Cable modem/Dial-Up Network & Networking

Cable modem/Dial-Up Network & Networking

Post by Lee Carpente » Sun, 12 May 2002 17:02:13

I am not sure if this is possible, but here is what I am
looking for:

I have (under WIN XP on both machines) a Laptop & a PC. I
currently have a network, both with independant Dial-Up
Network.

I want to connect the Laptop to a Broadband (NTL Set Top
Box), and then connect the PC, so both machines can
access Broadband(I have 2 NICS in the Laptop).

However, sometimes, I will not have the network available
(long cable & small children do not mix), so would like,
as a back-up, the PC to have the ability to use the
standard DUN.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Lee

Post by Steve Winogra » Wed, 15 May 2002 18:21:57

>I am not sure if this is possible, but here is what I am
>looking for:

>I have (under WIN XP on both machines) a Laptop & a PC. I
>currently have a network, both with independant Dial-Up
>Network.

>I want to connect the Laptop to a Broadband (NTL Set Top
>Box), and then connect the PC, so both machines can
>access Broadband(I have 2 NICS in the Laptop).

>However, sometimes, I will not have the network available
>(long cable & small children do not mix), so would like,
>as a back-up, the PC to have the ability to use the
>standard DUN.

>Is this possible?

>Thanks

>Lee

I'm not familiar with "NTL Set Top Box".  If it connects to the laptop
computer using a standard Ethernet connection, you can give both
computers access to it by enabling Internet Connection Sharing, as
shown here:

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

At any time, you can connect to the Internet using a dial-up
connection.  XP will use the dial-up connection, instead of the
broadband connection, for all Internet access, until you disconnect
the dial-up connection. Then, it will automatically return to using
the broadband connection.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not answer questions addressed
directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

1. Network cable unplugged Status message on the "Network and Dial-up" folder

 Hi,

 I have a Windows 98 Laptop that I need to network with a Windows 2000 PC
which has a DSL connection to the Internet.

 My Windows 2000 machine is connecting to the internet via DSL just fine,
through an on board Ethernet Adapter, but the 3COM

EthernetLink (3C905C-TX) card I am using is showing a "Network cable
unplugged" Status message on the "Network and Dial-up

Connections" folder.

 I have done all I have read off the internet/newsgroups, I have tested that
the cable is firmly plugged, re-installing the

card, taking the card off the machine and plugging it again, ... , but
without finding solution

 What I want to do is connect the labtop to the other Ethernet card and
connect to the internet. How do I do that?

 Please, tell me what I have to do operationally like "go start. ..." I am
not a technical person

 THanks

2. HP Deskjet 720C

3. Dial-up networking with a null modem cable?

4. Job postings in this group

5. Dial-up networking with serial null modem cable?

6. Netscape and Windows NT 3.51

7. Networking between cable modems and dial-up

8. FTP..........Doesn't........Sometimes :)

9. dial-up networking with null-modem cable?

10. XP Pro & Dial-up Networking into NT Network

11. Dial Up Networking Dialog Box when connected via cable modem

12. Win 95 Dial-In Networking whiel using Dial-Up Networking (PPP)

13. Network Dial-Up Pops up on Start ups and Reboots