Password Problem in OE.

Post by Ralph » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 08:09:30

I just got a new HP PC with XP installed. When ever I go to Outlook Express
it asks me for my password. The box is checked to save password but it is
grayed out. I have tried resetting the account but the problem is still
there. Has anyone else run into this problem?

            Thanks
               Ralph

Password Problem in OE.

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:17:40

OL2000: (IMO) Save Password Setting Not Saved When Connecting to POP Server
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q235/8/64.asp

The issue of OE not saving passwords is related to the above KB article, which is for Outlook 2000.  Some users have reported having to use the Find command in REGEDIT to locate the actual values/keys in question, others have them exactly where listed.

If you do find the values in a different location, please post back, as I'm trying to compile enough info to get this KB article updated or a new one issued for OE.
--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP DTS-XP
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> I just got a new HP PC with XP installed. When ever I go to Outlook Express
> it asks me for my password. The box is checked to save password but it is
> grayed out. I have tried resetting the account but the problem is still
> there. Has anyone else run into this problem?

>             Thanks
>                Ralph

Password Problem in OE.

Post by Jim » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:29:58

Went to the article and am unclear which steps (where and when) should be
used with XP.

Tried to find some of the listed keys (via regedit) and came up empty save
for one unrelated location.

Hope a future article will give specific instructions for XP with OE.
Meanwhile type, retype, retype, retype....

Jim

[...]

Quote:> I just got a new HP PC with XP installed. When ever I go to Outlook
Express
> it asks me for my password. The box is checked to save password but it is
> grayed out. I have tried resetting the account but the problem is still
> there. Has anyone else run into this problem?

>             Thanks
>                Ralph

Password Problem in OE.

Post by Michael D. Ketche » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:30:48

Do you have a password set on your Windows account? If not, Windows XP won't
save any of your other passwords for security reasons. To set a password on
your Windows account, go to Control Panel, click on User Accounts, click on
your account, then click on "Create a password."

--
Mike Ketchen MS-MVP (XP)
Associate Expert

Quote:> I just got a new HP PC with XP installed. When ever I go to Outlook
Express
> it asks me for my password. The box is checked to save password but it is
> grayed out. I have tried resetting the account but the problem is still
> there. Has anyone else run into this problem?

>             Thanks
>                Ralph

Password Problem in OE.

Post by Jim » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:51:49

Michael,

I just spent the better part of two weeks loading all my old software and
setting up configurations for my new computer with XP. All of this was done
under the XP name of "owner".  "Owner" doesn't save passwords, loses links
on the start bar, forgets everything, etc.

Now you're telling me I have to create a "user" account to make passwords
and other settings work?

For god's sake, why?  I'm the only user of this machine.

In exasperation tonight, I created one of these damned user accounts and it
had access to none of my programs.  So I began copying folders from the
owners account into the new user account folders. But even these transferred
folders don't have the program settings I entered into Owner.

Must I spend another two weeks re-configuring each of my programs within the
user account? This has got to be the most painful transition I've
experienced in 20 years of computer use.

Jim

> Do you have a password set on your Windows account? If not, Windows XP
won't
> save any of your other passwords for security reasons. To set a password
on
> your Windows account, go to Control Panel, click on User Accounts, click
on
> your account, then click on "Create a password."

> --
> Mike Ketchen MS-MVP (XP)
> Associate Expert

> > I just got a new HP PC with XP installed. When ever I go to Outlook
> Express
> > it asks me for my password. The box is checked to save password but it
is
> > grayed out. I have tried resetting the account but the problem is still
> > there. Has anyone else run into this problem?

> >             Thanks
> >                Ralph

Password Problem in OE.

Post by Michael D. Ketche » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:52:22

No, I was asking if the account you're using (in your case, the "Owner"
account) had a password set on it. If you're the only one using the machine,
you don't need to create another account. Windows XP will disable saving
passwords for security reasons if the account with which you log in does not
have a password set. Just go to the User Accounts link in the Control Panel,
click on the Owner account, and click "Create a password."

If that doesn't fix the problem, it's possible the instructions in
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q216/3/82.ASP might help
(follow the instructions for Windows NT/2000).

--
Mike Ketchen MS-MVP (XP)
Associate Expert

> Michael,

> I just spent the better part of two weeks loading all my old software and
> setting up configurations for my new computer with XP. All of this was
done
> under the XP name of "owner".  "Owner" doesn't save passwords, loses links
> on the start bar, forgets everything, etc.

> Now you're telling me I have to create a "user" account to make passwords
> and other settings work?

> For god's sake, why?  I'm the only user of this machine.

> In exasperation tonight, I created one of these damned user accounts and
it
> had access to none of my programs.  So I began copying folders from the
> owners account into the new user account folders. But even these
transferred
> folders don't have the program settings I entered into Owner.

> Must I spend another two weeks re-configuring each of my programs within
the
> user account? This has got to be the most painful transition I've
> experienced in 20 years of computer use.

> Jim

> > Do you have a password set on your Windows account? If not, Windows XP
> won't
> > save any of your other passwords for security reasons. To set a password
> on
> > your Windows account, go to Control Panel, click on User Accounts, click
> on
> > your account, then click on "Create a password."

> > --
> > Mike Ketchen MS-MVP (XP)
> > Associate Expert
> > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > I just got a new HP PC with XP installed. When ever I go to Outlook
> > Express
> > > it asks me for my password. The box is checked to save password but it
> is
> > > grayed out. I have tried resetting the account but the problem is
still
> > > there. Has anyone else run into this problem?

> > >             Thanks
> > >                Ralph

Password Problem in OE.

Post by Jim » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:01:26

Thanks Michael. I setup a password for "owner" and rebooted. OE still
required manual password entry. I've been to the microsoft article you
mentioned but several of the locations simply do not exist within my copy of
the registry. Hopefully MS will soon provide the specific instructions for
XP with its OE.

> No, I was asking if the account you're using (in your case, the "Owner"
> account) had a password set on it. If you're the only one using the
machine,
> you don't need to create another account. Windows XP will disable saving
> passwords for security reasons if the account with which you log in does
not
> have a password set. Just go to the User Accounts link in the Control
Panel,
> click on the Owner account, and click "Create a password."

> If that doesn't fix the problem, it's possible the instructions in
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q216/3/82.ASP might help
> (follow the instructions for Windows NT/2000).

> --
> Mike Ketchen MS-MVP (XP)
> Associate Expert

> > Michael,

> > I just spent the better part of two weeks loading all my old software
and
> > setting up configurations for my new computer with XP. All of this was
> done
> > under the XP name of "owner".  "Owner" doesn't save passwords, loses
links
> > on the start bar, forgets everything, etc.

> > Now you're telling me I have to create a "user" account to make
passwords
> > and other settings work?

> > For god's sake, why?  I'm the only user of this machine.

> > In exasperation tonight, I created one of these damned user accounts and
> it
> > had access to none of my programs.  So I began copying folders from the
> > owners account into the new user account folders. But even these
> transferred
> > folders don't have the program settings I entered into Owner.

> > Must I spend another two weeks re-configuring each of my programs within
> the
> > user account? This has got to be the most painful transition I've
> > experienced in 20 years of computer use.

> > Jim

> > > Do you have a password set on your Windows account? If not, Windows XP
> > won't
> > > save any of your other passwords for security reasons. To set a
password
> > on
> > > your Windows account, go to Control Panel, click on User Accounts,
click
> > on
> > > your account, then click on "Create a password."

> > > --
> > > Mike Ketchen MS-MVP (XP)
> > > Associate Expert
> > > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > Express
> > is
> still

1. How to avoid user name/password popup with authentication plug-ins

Presently, as soon as you make any authentication plug-in 'active' through
the WMS Admin interface, whenever a client (player) makes initial request it
will bring up a 'log in' dialog box.  In my particular situation I need not
do so as the way I do authentication is by observing client context as well
as a special session id generated and maintained separately (outside of WMS)
by a session management server.

My question therefore is how do I avoid this 'log in' dialog from showing up
in the first place?  Is there a way I could do this from within my
Authentication plug-in class? Or do I need to modify any other classes in
the WMS Class hierarchy?

Again, your help is much appreciated! ;_)

- Vlad.

2. Internet Explorer and Searchalot

3. OE forgets password even when remember password is checked

4. Unistall win xp home edition

5. password authenticated newsgroups on INS?

6. Return Receipt not working

7. CMAK: Password problem, password and "save password" option don't appear

8. NAB notes/non-linear editing/videographics/animation/audio

9. OE password problems

10. Password problems with OE 6

11. OE password problems

12. OE and password problems