Cd-rom/dvd-rom drives won't read date from cd-r

Cd-rom/dvd-rom drives won't read date from cd-r

Post by Eric Frazie » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:59:20

After installing windows xp-pro on my 98se machine, my dvd-rom drive won't
read the data off of any cd-r disk I insert.  The drivers seem to be right,
and I don't think its a hardware problem.  XP reads that the disk is there
and will read any program (not-cd-r) disk that I put in, but when I click on
the cd-r disk it gives me an empty folder.  This problem is appearing on
several machines that have recently been updated, all with different cd/dvd
rom drives.  With a such a common problem, there is an easy fix that I'm
overlooking right?

thanks for the help,

eric frazier

1. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

Since approx. 1 week I have an extremely irritating
problem with my 2 CD-ROM drives and my DVD-ROM drive
(under Windows XP Professional), although I did not
(myself) change anything on my PC HW or SW installation.

My drives suddenly recognize (official as well as own-
written) data CD-ROMs and (official) DVD-ROMs only once
and only after they have first read an official audio-CD.

When I unload and load the drives with the same data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM (that were perfectly accessible before the
unload), they either do not detect the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
at all, or they recognize them as empty.

When I load an official audio-CD (which is always
correctly recognized and accessible without any problem),
unload it again and replace it with the earlier data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM, the data CD-ROM is again recognized and
accessible (until the next unload). A DVD-ROM on the
other hand causes my PC to reboot, after which it is also
recognized and accessible (until the next unload).

Can this be due to a recent Windows XP Security update (I
have Windows Update set on automatic) or one or other
security setting in Windows XP that I may accidentally
have set?
Can I undo this?

Michel

2. ICMP question

3. CD-Rom / CD-RW / DVD-Rom not reading data on CD's

4. Need help changing the bitmap displayed by a CStatic Picture control

5. Emachines CD-ROM RW/DVD Drive Reading CD's, but NOT Burning Cd's

6. How can I control my Soundblaster Live?

7. I can read DVD with my DVD/CD-Rom, but not any CD-ROM

8. MDI CView update

9. DVD Rom reads cd's won't read dvd's

10. OT: Pioneer DVD-ROM & Plextor CD-RW cannot read CD-ROM installation discs

11. CD-ROM drive will not read CD-ROM's anymore

12. DVD-ROM & CD-ROM can't read anything