Re-installing XP - it happens

Post by Jon » Sun, 26 May 2002 21:12:57

I build all my own computers and will typically re-
install the OS from time to time.  This can be for any
number of reasons, from the registry being too large and
acting flukey to any other reason that can be though of.
I'd like to know why, since I purchased the full install
version, that I have to be made to feel like I'm stealing
something when I am made to call Microsoft because I've
installed the OS twice in the last 2 months.  This was
due to the fact that I built a new box, much faster,
simply to handle the new OS and it's requirements.  I
came away from that phone conversation feeling like a
criminal simply because I was attempting use a product I
purchased legally.  Frankly, if this continues, I can see
even more value in a product like RedHat Linux.

Re-installing XP - it happens

Post by Nutcas » Tue, 28 May 2002 00:47:25

Hi Jon,

I can sympathicize, but without giving out *extremely* personal information that would define you as the legal possesser of that copy of WinXP, there is no way that MS would be able to know that it is just you installing your legal copy to a new(er) machine. I am no big fan of activation either, but I'm not about to hand out my SS# (USA users) or DL# to any major company other than a bank.

As MS has decided to use WPA, it rests upon us end-users to decide whether or not we buy the product subject to its terms and limitations. If too many resist the urge to buy, then it will likely go away. If it is accepted by the majority, then it will continue whether we like it or not. Market supply & demand will define its success or failure.

PS: I like Linux as well, but it has a ways to go before it's as user-friendly and widely accepted as Windows<any version> currently is.
--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Associate Expert - Windows XP
Please reply only to newsgroup...

> I build all my own computers and will typically re-
> install the OS from time to time.  This can be for any
> number of reasons, from the registry being too large and
> acting flukey to any other reason that can be though of.
> I'd like to know why, since I purchased the full install
> version, that I have to be made to feel like I'm stealing
> something when I am made to call Microsoft because I've
> installed the OS twice in the last 2 months.  This was
> due to the fact that I built a new box, much faster,
> simply to handle the new OS and it's requirements.  I
> came away from that phone conversation feeling like a
> criminal simply because I was attempting use a product I
> purchased legally.  Frankly, if this continues, I can see
> even more value in a product like RedHat Linux.

1. Re-installing XP without re-installing software?

I've just done a complete rebuild of Windows (XP Pro SR1).

I had a small problem when XP was almost installed. A file could not be read
from the CD. I ignored it and Windows installed OK.

But I'm suffering from sporadic resets. Completely out-of-the-blue. My PC
just reboots. I know that it could be a hardware problem (I installed a new
mobo and CPU) but I'm worried that it could be connected to my "incomplete"
Windows install.

Could it?

If so, is there any way to re-install XP without re-installing every
program? I've spent *ages* setting-up my PC and I don't want to start again.

Cheers.

Bobby

2. Skip Logon on XP?

3. Re-installing Win XP - what happens to the users files?

4. AutoRun---AutoInsert Notification.

5. BSOD's after re-installing NT, "happens every time"

6. Copy files to MP3

7. Un-Installing & then Re-Installing XP

8. limited acount

9. re-installing windows xp over windows xp

10. What happen if I re install XP Pro over an existing XP Pro OS ?

11. Installing OE 5 Or 6, But Without Re-Installing IE: Possible?

12. Games + XP ---> it′s s a miracle

13. i can′t open any disk in windows xp becuse it′s format in windows 98