assign mgmt process to one core of dual core

assign mgmt process to one core of dual core

Post by crai » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 03:57:02

objective:  within XPProSP2 be able to assign mcafee, and other "mgmt" agents
to one core, and make that core offlimits to everything else.  from
experience- opening a file, installing a SP... it is the anti-virus/spyware
that burns CPUs.  launching an email attachment is similar-  Lotus, Adobe and
the A/V are all competing for cycles.  for an example- can this be set in XP
somewhere that mcshield.exe is a foreground process on Proc1,  and cannot use
Proc0?

I know that a programmer can use the SetProcessAffinity... but that is
beyond the scope of my time!

my users would be tickled to death to have  the full power of a Pent4 2.8
and not feel the impact of mcshield, twigcp, etc

thanks
--
system engineer

assign mgmt process to one core of dual core

Post by Bob » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 04:01:07

Why would you want to prevent the system from using ALL the CPU it has
available to run user applications?

> objective:  within XPProSP2 be able to assign mcafee, and other "mgmt" agents
> to one core, and make that core offlimits to everything else.  from
> experience- opening a file, installing a SP... it is the anti-virus/spyware
> that burns CPUs.  launching an email attachment is similar-  Lotus, Adobe and
> the A/V are all competing for cycles.  for an example- can this be set in XP
> somewhere that mcshield.exe is a foreground process on Proc1,  and cannot use
> Proc0?

> I know that a programmer can use the SetProcessAffinity... but that is
> beyond the scope of my time!

> my users would be tickled to death to have  the full power of a Pent4 2.8
> and not feel the impact of mcshield, twigcp, etc

> thanks

assign mgmt process to one core of dual core

Post by crai » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 04:24:03

so... you trust the scheduler?  no contentions, no spinlock, no annoyances?
I suppose, in a perfect world that would be OK.  Do you have experience with
the Dualcore?  I am sure you have seen a/v programs eat up CPU and grossly
slow down an SP install.  I am sure it hampers loading Acrobat, word, etc.

same singleprocessor machine moves much faster with a/v "on access"
disabled.  but we cannot live like that.  (back to the perfect world- ie: no
creeps)

thanks
--
system engineer

> Why would you want to prevent the system from using ALL the CPU it has
> available to run user applications?

> > objective:  within XPProSP2 be able to assign mcafee, and other "mgmt" agents
> > to one core, and make that core offlimits to everything else.  from
> > experience- opening a file, installing a SP... it is the anti-virus/spyware
> > that burns CPUs.  launching an email attachment is similar-  Lotus, Adobe and
> > the A/V are all competing for cycles.  for an example- can this be set in XP
> > somewhere that mcshield.exe is a foreground process on Proc1,  and cannot use
> > Proc0?

> > I know that a programmer can use the SetProcessAffinity... but that is
> > beyond the scope of my time!

> > my users would be tickled to death to have  the full power of a Pent4 2.8
> > and not feel the impact of mcshield, twigcp, etc

> > thanks

assign mgmt process to one core of dual core

Post by Bob » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 04:33:05

I think, until one has enough experience with dualcore, leaving the
system to manage will give you less headache.

> so... you trust the scheduler?  no contentions, no spinlock, no annoyances?
> I suppose, in a perfect world that would be OK.  Do you have experience with
> the Dualcore?  I am sure you have seen a/v programs eat up CPU and grossly
> slow down an SP install.  I am sure it hampers loading Acrobat, word, etc.

> same singleprocessor machine moves much faster with a/v "on access"
> disabled.  but we cannot live like that.  (back to the perfect world- ie: no
> creeps)

> thanks

1. single core vs dual core

I've heard that dual core can handle two threads at the same time, but has
less Mhz than single core. Anybody could tell me if it is a good choice to
buy a dual core processor if there aren't enough applications with more than
one thread?

2. what is best way to synch favorites btwn computers

3. How do I know if my dual core CPU is using both cores ?

4. two probs

5. Is my dual core CPU using both cores?

6. Internet connection problem

7. Dual Xeon Dual Core with HT Support?

8. Monitoring Registry activity

9. dual core - dual processor - hyperthreading

10. Dual core

11. Hyperthreading + Extreme Dual Core Benchmark Program?...

12. XP SP2 Dual Core

13. win xp pro runing two dual core xeons