Microsoft reprogramming you network to time disconnect

Microsoft reprogramming you network to time disconnect

Post by Eithy's New » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 16:07:59

Hi

Does anyone know how Microsoft reprograms your networking setting to time
disconnect.

Ie: My system was working fine, all network connections were active and file
transfer was responsive.

(This is not a Firewall PROBLEM)

I have a 3 computer system using win xp pro 2600, connected through a
firwall to the internet by cable.

THen one day one of the computers was just diconnecting itself from the
other 2, couldnt work out the problem only a reboot connected it to the
system again. Then once again 15 to 30mins or so it would do the same.

I have reprogrammed all settings for xp known to man or myself every which
way, Were talking 2 weeks of tinkering. I have adjusted ip, dns, properties
on all levels. But nothing. I do remember updating my MSN Message Manager
before all these problems started occuring, but cant be quite sure if that
was the reason for all this trouble.

So what I did was use system restore and went back a few days, BINGO problem
solved and I didnt need to do a fresh install.

I have heard somewhere that microsoft can access your computer and turn of
networking protocol, how do they do it. And what registry settings do you
have to change to bring it back to normal. This would be  a real handy thing
to know..

Cheers

Microsoft reprogramming you network to time disconnect

Post by Richard Urba » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:02:55

Microsoft will not arbitrarily enter your computer and turn off your network
protocol. It "may" happen as a result of "you" adding a fix, or by "you"
installing another application, but in each case, "YOU" are doing it.

Quote:> Hi

> Does anyone know how Microsoft reprograms your networking setting to time
> disconnect.

> Ie: My system was working fine, all network connections were active and
file
> transfer was responsive.

> (This is not a Firewall PROBLEM)

> I have a 3 computer system using win xp pro 2600, connected through a
> firwall to the internet by cable.

> THen one day one of the computers was just diconnecting itself from the
> other 2, couldnt work out the problem only a reboot connected it to the
> system again. Then once again 15 to 30mins or so it would do the same.

> I have reprogrammed all settings for xp known to man or myself every which
> way, Were talking 2 weeks of tinkering. I have adjusted ip, dns,
properties
> on all levels. But nothing. I do remember updating my MSN Message Manager
> before all these problems started occuring, but cant be quite sure if that
> was the reason for all this trouble.

> So what I did was use system restore and went back a few days, BINGO
problem
> solved and I didnt need to do a fresh install.

> I have heard somewhere that microsoft can access your computer and turn of
> networking protocol, how do they do it. And what registry settings do you
> have to change to bring it back to normal. This would be  a real handy
thing
> to know..

> Cheers

Microsoft reprogramming you network to time disconnect

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:59:09

Most US ADSL broadband connections use PPPoE, what Microsoft refers to
as "broadband with username and password". PPP is a virtual
point-to-point connection and is the same protocol as used on dial-up
connections.

PPP has idle-timeouts and Windows XP includes an option to disconnect
when no longer needed (ie, when no TCP connections exist or Internet
applications are running). You need to check the properties on your
broadband connection to see if these timers are set.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

Quote:> Hi