Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

Post by David L. Lanha » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 07:23:57

I am trying to change the security of a folder on a NT box from a XP box
over a VPN connection.  I am logged on as the administrator but when I try
and change the security it ask me for user name and password.  I type in the
adminstrator and password again and then it gives me this error:

The following error occurred while using the username (domain
name\administrator) and password you entered:
Multiple connections to server or shared resource by the same user using
more than one user name are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I only have this one connection to this NT server using a VPN connection.
Any help please I would like to administor this server from my home office.

Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

Post by Bill Sanderso » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 11:04:52

What credentials are you using when you connect via VPN?

My one tendency is to do this sort of work via Remote control features of
one sort or another--it's just quicker--but perhaps you don't have that
available.

What tool are you using to attempt these security changes--I'd be glad to
try to duplicate--is this a standalone NT box, or a member of a domain, or a
domain controller?

Quote:> I am trying to change the security of a folder on a NT box from a XP box
> over a VPN connection.  I am logged on as the administrator but when I try
> and change the security it ask me for user name and password.  I type in
the
> adminstrator and password again and then it gives me this error:

> The following error occurred while using the username (domain
> name\administrator) and password you entered:
> Multiple connections to server or shared resource by the same user using
> more than one user name are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
> connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

> I only have this one connection to this NT server using a VPN connection.
> Any help please I would like to administor this server from my home
office.

Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

Post by David L. Lanha » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 05:06:12

I am connecting to the NT 4.0 Server with the administrator credentials over
the VPN Connection.  I then just go to the mapped networked drive and right
click on the folder that I would like to change the security on, and pick
properties.  I then go to the Security tab and try and add the new group
that I want to have access to this folder.

What remote control features are you referring to?

> What credentials are you using when you connect via VPN?

> My one tendency is to do this sort of work via Remote control features of
> one sort or another--it's just quicker--but perhaps you don't have that
> available.

> What tool are you using to attempt these security changes--I'd be glad to
> try to duplicate--is this a standalone NT box, or a member of a domain, or
> domain controller?

> > I am trying to change the security of a folder on a NT box from a XP box
> > over a VPN connection.  I am logged on as the administrator but when I
try
> > and change the security it ask me for user name and password.  I type in
> the
> > adminstrator and password again and then it gives me this error:

> > The following error occurred while using the username (domain
> > name\administrator) and password you entered:
> > Multiple connections to server or shared resource by the same user using
> > more than one user name are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
> > connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

> > I only have this one connection to this NT server using a VPN
connection.
> > Any help please I would like to administor this server from my home
> office.

Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

Post by Bill Sanderso » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 05:13:19

When connected via VPN or otherwise secured--on a local network, for
example, I often use VNC.

It can be slow and graphically strange, but it hasn't caused me any
problems.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

I'll try what you are doing and see what happens for me.

> I am connecting to the NT 4.0 Server with the administrator credentials
over
> the VPN Connection.  I then just go to the mapped networked drive and
right
> click on the folder that I would like to change the security on, and pick
> properties.  I then go to the Security tab and try and add the new group
> that I want to have access to this folder.

> What remote control features are you referring to?

> > What credentials are you using when you connect via VPN?

> > My one tendency is to do this sort of work via Remote control features
of
> > one sort or another--it's just quicker--but perhaps you don't have that
> > available.

> > What tool are you using to attempt these security changes--I'd be glad
> > try to duplicate--is this a standalone NT box, or a member of a domain,
or
> > domain controller?

> > > I am trying to change the security of a folder on a NT box from a XP
box
> > > over a VPN connection.  I am logged on as the administrator but when I
> try
> > > and change the security it ask me for user name and password.  I type
in
> > the
> > > adminstrator and password again and then it gives me this error:

> > > The following error occurred while using the username (domain
> > > name\administrator) and password you entered:
> > > Multiple connections to server or shared resource by the same user
using
> > > more than one user name are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
> > > connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

> > > I only have this one connection to this NT server using a VPN
> connection.
> > > Any help please I would like to administor this server from my home
> > office.

Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

Post by Bill Sanderso » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:42:35

Yes, I get that same result.  And a Net Use shows nothing in use--the open
via explorer of the folder structure doesn't show up.  Using the credentials
under which I made the VPN connection makes no difference.

I'd recommend using standard admin tools over the vpn.

For example, right-click My computer, choose manage.

Action, connect to another computer

I can connect to an NT4 server by IP address, and the same operation I
attempted results in that same challenge, but this time, the credentials
given go through just fine.

> I am connecting to the NT 4.0 Server with the administrator credentials
over
> the VPN Connection.  I then just go to the mapped networked drive and
right
> click on the folder that I would like to change the security on, and pick
> properties.  I then go to the Security tab and try and add the new group
> that I want to have access to this folder.

> What remote control features are you referring to?

> > What credentials are you using when you connect via VPN?

> > My one tendency is to do this sort of work via Remote control features
of
> > one sort or another--it's just quicker--but perhaps you don't have that
> > available.

> > What tool are you using to attempt these security changes--I'd be glad
> > try to duplicate--is this a standalone NT box, or a member of a domain,
or
> > domain controller?

> > > I am trying to change the security of a folder on a NT box from a XP
box
> > > over a VPN connection.  I am logged on as the administrator but when I
> try
> > > and change the security it ask me for user name and password.  I type
in
> > the
> > > adminstrator and password again and then it gives me this error:

> > > The following error occurred while using the username (domain
> > > name\administrator) and password you entered:
> > > Multiple connections to server or shared resource by the same user
using
> > > more than one user name are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
> > > connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

> > > I only have this one connection to this NT server using a VPN
> connection.
> > > Any help please I would like to administor this server from my home
> > office.

1. Change Security on NT box From XP Box over VPN

I am trying to change the security of a folder on a NT box from a XP box
over a VPN connection.  I am logged on as the administrator but when I try
and change the security it ask me for user name and password.  I type in the
adminstrator and password again and then it gives me this error:

The following error occurred while using the username (domain
name\administrator) and password you entered:
Multiple connections to server or shared resource by the same user using
more than one user name are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I only have this one connection to this NT server using a VPN connection.
Any help please I would like to administor this server from my home office.

2. How to repair my Windows XP installation ?

3. Connecting Win NT Box to Win 98 Box

4. Free comprehensive web-based server vulnerability assessment!

5. =======Problems seeing shared printer on NT box from Win 95 box========

6. XP SP1 - Setup Cancelled - I didn't cancel it!!

7. NT box slow to find shared res on W95 box

8. Program to Read WordProcessor's Format

9. Connectiong W95 box to XP box

10. Seeing my XP box on home Network, from Win98, Win2k boxes

11. changing size of security box on login

12. Installing HD from old w95 box as second HD in XP box

13. Connecting from 2000 Pro Box to XP Pro Box