XP on Dell Dimension 4100

Post by pak » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:41:35

I am newbee, but..
Have a Dell Desktop Dimension 4100. Pentium 3 , 1.0 mhz processor,
and 512 MB of memory.

Can I run windows xp on this machine?

XP on Dell Dimension 4100

Post by Carey Frisch [MVP » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 03:06:02

Yes.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Post by Bruce Chamber » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 03:16:47

> I am newbee, but..
> Have a Dell Desktop Dimension 4100. Pentium 3 , 1.0 mhz processor,
> and 512 MB of memory.

> Can I run windows xp on this machine?

        Yes, it can, assuming specific device compatibility.  The machine won't
be a speed demon, but it'll do nicely for most uses.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

XP on Dell Dimension 4100

Post by JS » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 03:29:12

That's what I'm using now to respond to this post (It's only a 933Mhz with
512MB) and does not have any issues with XP Pro.
In my case I did a clean install to an 80GB ATA100 drive.

JS

Quote:>I am newbee, but..

Post by Ron Martel » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 04:08:12

>I am newbee, but..
>Have a Dell Desktop Dimension 4100. Pentium 3 , 1.0 mhz processor,
>and 512 MB of memory.

>Can I run windows xp on this machine?

Your hardware specs are quite adequate for running Windows XP.  As a
precaution go to the Dell website and make sure they have Windows XP
driver downloads for your exact model number.

If they don't show any Windows XP driver downloads then that could
mean that there are some compatibility issues with Windows XP on that
particular model and you need to check this out further before
spending money to purchase Windows XP.

Good luck

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

XP on Dell Dimension 4100

Post by Manuel Lourenco J » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 06:16:51

If you have any Adaptec direct cd software installed, that is a known XP
compatibility problem. XP will not load those drivers and you will have to
buy/upgrade to a newer cd burning software program.

>>I am newbee, but..
>>Have a Dell Desktop Dimension 4100. Pentium 3 , 1.0 mhz processor,
>>and 512 MB of memory.

>>Can I run windows xp on this machine?

> Your hardware specs are quite adequate for running Windows XP.  As a
> precaution go to the Dell website and make sure they have Windows XP
> driver downloads for your exact model number.

> If they don't show any Windows XP driver downloads then that could
> mean that there are some compatibility issues with Windows XP on that
> particular model and you need to check this out further before
> spending money to purchase Windows XP.

> Good luck

> Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."

1. Win 2000 and Dimension 4100 problems

I have multiple Dimension 4100 machines that I am installing cleanly
with Windows 2000.  Some of the machines have some problems though.
Some Office 2000 programs especially Word and Outlook will cause the
machine to freeze upon opening.  After the freeze I must hit the reset
button.  Additionally, when exploring local hard drives or similar
operations the cursor will begin to "dance" and the machine takes an
abnormal amount of time to finish the task.

The only fix I have found thus far is to install Windows XP instead,
but can't do this to all systems because I don't have enough
liscenses.

2. i'm troubled, your help will be GREATLY appreciated!

3. TV Tuner for Dell Inspiron 4100

4. USB 2

5. Problem Upgrading RAM on a Dell Dim 4100

6. Automatic Windows Update isnt working

7. Win2000 with Dell 4100

8. Password Problems with log in external hard drive

9. Upgrade from Dell Dimension 4100 Win Me to Win2K. Help!!

10. XP Pro - DELL Dimension - Clock loses time

11. Windows XP and Dell Dimension 4600

12. Dell Dimension 8200 +Windows XP+Display Properties+Windows Classic

13. WIN XP Pro installed on Dell Dimension