Devive Manager

Post by Neil William » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:58:25

Having trouble getting a scanner to work via LPT1:
Been onto manufacturers website, which suggests using a
2K driver.

My problem is I tried to install the scanner using "add
device" in scanners & cameras from control panel.
Tried this twice, with no luck.

Now when I go into device manager, I have 2 entries for
my scanner, both wish queries. "drivers not installed"
However I now can not delete these 2 entries from device
manager.
Get a msg saying uninstall failed, required or boot
device.

Any suggestions thanks

Devive Manager

Post by R. C. Whit » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:11:20

Hi, Neil.

You might save us a lot of guessing if you mention the make and model of
scanner.  Somebody here might recognize it and know just what to do.

It seems there is not yet much consistency in how to add some kinds of
hardware, and scanners vary a lot.  Some want to be installed by using a
CD-ROM that comes with the scanner.  Others use the Wizard.  For some, about
all we can do is install an outdated driver, then use the Device Manager to
update it.  Often the manufacturer's website has a current driver which we
can download and install from our HD.  But it's hard to know where to start
if we don't know even who make your scanner.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Quote:> Having trouble getting a scanner to work via LPT1:
> Been onto manufacturers website, which suggests using a
> 2K driver.

> My problem is I tried to install the scanner using "add
> device" in scanners & cameras from control panel.
> Tried this twice, with no luck.

> Now when I go into device manager, I have 2 entries for
> my scanner, both wish queries. "drivers not installed"
> However I now can not delete these 2 entries from device
> manager.
> Get a msg saying uninstall failed, required or boot
> device.

> Any suggestions thanks

Devive Manager

Post by Neil William » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:33:09

Hi
Sorry, didn't give scanner details.
Initially want to remove entries from Device Manager.

Scanner is Mustek 1200ED
Have Win 98 installation disk.
Downloaded Win 2K drivers from manufacturers web site.
Also found instructions on how to make it work under XP.

Was going to send driver problem to manufacturers web
site.

Thanks

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, Neil.

>You might save us a lot of guessing if you mention the
make and model of
>scanner.  Somebody here might recognize it and know just
what to do.

>It seems there is not yet much consistency in how to add
some kinds of
>hardware, and scanners vary a lot.  Some want to be

installed by using a
Quote:>CD-ROM that comes with the scanner.  Others use the

Wizard.  For some, about
Quote:>all we can do is install an outdated driver, then use

the Device Manager to
Quote:>update it.  Often the manufacturer's website has a

current driver which we
>can download and install from our HD.  But it's hard to
know where to start
>if we don't know even who make your scanner.

>RC
>--
>R. C. White, CPA
>San Marcos, TX

>Microsoft Windows MVP

message

>> Having trouble getting a scanner to work via LPT1:
>> Been onto manufacturers website, which suggests using a
>> 2K driver.

>> My problem is I tried to install the scanner using "add
>> device" in scanners & cameras from control panel.
>> Tried this twice, with no luck.

>> Now when I go into device manager, I have 2 entries for
>> my scanner, both wish queries. "drivers not installed"
>> However I now can not delete these 2 entries from
device
>> manager.
>> Get a msg saying uninstall failed, required or boot
>> device.

>> Any suggestions thanks

>.

Devive Manager

Post by Neil William » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:31:01

Hi
Having prob trying to install a scanner.
Tried a couple of times, with no success.
But now I have 2 entries for an unknown device in "device
manager", each shows as drivers not installed.

Problem is I can't remove these entries.
If I try & delete them, "Failed to uninstall, may be a
required or boot device." shows.
Tried in safe mode as administrator, tried dissabling
them first.
Still can't get rid.
Any suggestions thank you.

Devive Manager

Post by Jona » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:41:10

Go to Device Manager, and find the "unknown device", right click on the device, and click uninstall device.

     Hi
     Having prob trying to install a scanner.
     Tried a couple of times, with no success.
     But now I have 2 entries for an unknown device in "device
     manager", each shows as drivers not installed.

     Problem is I can't remove these entries.
     If I try & delete them, "Failed to uninstall, may be a
     required or boot device." shows.
     Tried in safe mode as administrator, tried dissabling
     them first.
     Still can't get rid.
     Any suggestions thank you.

Devive Manager

Post by Neil William » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:49:28

Tried that already, doesn't work either.
Any more suggestions welcomed.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Go to Device Manager, and find the "unknown device",

right click on the device, and click uninstall device.

>     Hi
>     Having prob trying to install a scanner.
>     Tried a couple of times, with no success.
>     But now I have 2 entries for an unknown device
in "device
>     manager", each shows as drivers not installed.

>     Problem is I can't remove these entries.
>     If I try & delete them, "Failed to uninstall, may
be a
>     required or boot device." shows.
>     Tried in safe mode as administrator, tried
dissabling
>     them first.
>     Still can't get rid.
>     Any suggestions thank you.

>.

Devive Manager

Post by Neil William » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 04:20:24

   .  Reply (E-mail)  Forward (E-mail)

 Subject:  Device Manager
 From:  "Neil Williams"

3:31:01 AM

Hi
Having prob trying to install a scanner.
Tried a couple of times, with no success.
But now I have 2 entries for an unknown device in "device
manager", each shows as drivers not installed.

Problem is I can't remove these entries.
If I try & delete them, "Failed to uninstall, may be a
required or boot device." shows.
Tried right clicking entry & selecting uninstall, still
no luck.
Tried in safe mode as administrator, tried dissabling
them first.
Still can't get rid.
Any suggestions thank you.

.

Devive Manager

Post by Steve C. Ra » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 06:42:47

Boot into Safe Mode, then go to Device Manager and remove the devices. Then
reboot into normal mode.

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "mail" with "36db"

>    .  Reply (E-mail)  Forward (E-mail)

>  Subject:  Device Manager
>  From:  "Neil Williams"

> 3:31:01 AM

> Hi
> Having prob trying to install a scanner.
> Tried a couple of times, with no success.
> But now I have 2 entries for an unknown device in "device
> manager", each shows as drivers not installed.

> Problem is I can't remove these entries.
> If I try & delete them, "Failed to uninstall, may be a
> required or boot device." shows.
> Tried right clicking entry & selecting uninstall, still
> no luck.
> Tried in safe mode as administrator, tried dissabling
> them first.
> Still can't get rid.
> Any suggestions thank you.

> .

1. Sony Digital Camera -USB Devive Not Recognized

I have a Sony DSC-P50 Digital Camera with a USB cable
connecting to my computer but it gives me a message
saying that "USB Device Not Recognized" .I read everywhere
that SONY cameras drivers our built into Windows XP Home
Edition. I tried connecting a million times but no success
Could I have deleted the Drivers for the Sony cameras by
accidently? I went to the UnKnown device on my computer
and unistalled the driver because I had no idea that
Windows XP had the drivers built intio it Because i
loaded the Driver that came with the camera from the
disk. But these drivers were only good with other
versions of Windows.
Can anyone can help me?????
Is their something I can download from a specific website
or something or anything to remedy this problem

2. Irrecoverable deletion

3. Opening task manager results in task manager crashing or closing.

4. File Synchronizer Programs??

5. File Manager: how to default File Manager to details view?

6. Space for CD Audio...

7. User Manager NT 4.0 (The Remote Procedure Call Failed) when trying to access User Manager

8. XP and Terminal Services

9. which hotfix to disable Change password, Task manager and Lock manager.

10. Program manager status bar (Correction; should be File Manager)

11. NT Workstation SMP/Pentium Pro crashing in WinLogon.exe on Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Task Manager (but right-click on Start bar, Task Manager doesn't)

12. Ack! Program Manager! File Manager!

13. Device Manager Error 19