Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Yves Lecler » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:21:45

XP does not like for you to change the motherboard that you were originally
using.  It used the motherboard as the main controller for the Product
Activation.  You can fix this by doing a repair re-install of XP on top of
the installed version.  However, if your version of XP is OEM, then you are
NO ENTITLED to move the XP to a different motherboard/PC.  It is forever
tied to the original PC/motherboard.

Quote:> It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
> Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

> I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted" to
> new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine is
> still running and intact.

> --

> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Alvin Brow » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:27:12

Hello

You needed to do the following first

Do a repair install
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB...

Alvin

> It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
> Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

> I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted" to a
> new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine is
> still running and intact.

> --

> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:24:14

Phillip;
You probably need to perform a Repair Installation to properly detect the
new hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Quote:> It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
> Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

> I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted" to
> new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine is
> still running and intact.

> --

> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by MK » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:07:34

I'm getting the same problem, but I'm only switching from a 40 GB Maxtor to
a 160 GB WD. Could it be that I need to do a repair for that as well?
MK

Post by Yves Lecler » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:30:56

> I'm getting the same problem, but I'm only switching from a 40 GB Maxtor
> to a 160 GB WD. Could it be that I need to do a repair for that as well?
> MK

>> Phillip;
>> You probably need to perform a Repair Installation to properly detect the
>> new hardware:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

>> --
>> Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

>>> It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
>>> Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

>>> I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted"
>>> to a
>>> new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine
>>> is
>>> still running and intact.

>>> --

>>> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
>>> www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Yves Lecler » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:31:58

You need to do a repair re-install of Xp with at least XP SP1 or SP2
"slipstreamed| into the install process.

> I'm getting the same problem, but I'm only switching from a 40 GB Maxtor
> to a 160 GB WD. Could it be that I need to do a repair for that as well?
> MK

>> Phillip;
>> You probably need to perform a Repair Installation to properly detect the
>> new hardware:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

>> --
>> Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

>>> It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
>>> Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

>>> I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted"
>>> to a
>>> new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine
>>> is
>>> still running and intact.

>>> --

>>> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
>>> www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Admiral » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:26:25

He didn't say "UPGRADE" he said "REPAIR"  - 2 different options.

--

"Google is your Friend!"
www.google.com

> It is a Volume License CD, and it is the same one that it was installed
> from.  I tried it once and didn't give me the "Upgrade" option though.

> --

> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

> > XP does not like for you to change the motherboard that you were
> originally
> > using.  It used the motherboard as the main controller for the Product
> > Activation.  You can fix this by doing a repair re-install of XP on top
of
> > the installed version.  However, if your version of XP is OEM, then you
> are
> > NO ENTITLED to move the XP to a different motherboard/PC.  It is forever
> > tied to the original PC/motherboard.

> > > It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
> > > Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

> > > I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted"
> > > new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine
> is
> > > still running and intact.

> > > --

> > > Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> > > www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Admiral » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:29:39

Also in addition to having SP1/SP2 slipstreamed as "Yves" said, you'll need
to make sure your BIOS/CMOS and I/O Controller both support 48-bit LBA - if
not, you'll need to make a least 2 partitions, as without SP1/SP2, and
48-bit LBA hardware support, the largest partition you'll be able to make is
120/137GB, depending on whether you view the size as base 10 or base 2
numbering system.

--

"Google is your Friend!"
www.google.com

> I'm getting the same problem, but I'm only switching from a 40 GB Maxtor
> a 160 GB WD. Could it be that I need to do a repair for that as well?
> MK

> > Phillip;
> > You probably need to perform a Repair Installation to properly detect
the
> > new hardware:
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

> > --
> > Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> >> It there a method to move an installation of XP (SP2) to new hardware?
> >> Right now it just goes into a "rebooting loop" when I attempt it.

> >> I still have the old hardware if I need it and the drive was "ghosted"
> >> new drive for the new machine, so nothing is "lost",...the old machine
is
> >> still running and intact.

> >> --

> >> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> >> www.wandtv.com

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by MK » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:09:25

Thanks. The Bios is OK (according to Asus and what I can see) and it showed
up fine when I just attached it as a slave. And I'll be partitioning anyway.
What I don't understand is some people seem to be able to simply clone a
drive without a repair install. Nothing else in the system is being changed.
MK

> Also in addition to having SP1/SP2 slipstreamed as "Yves" said, you'll
> need
> to make sure your BIOS/CMOS and I/O Controller both support 48-bit LBA -
> if
> not, you'll need to make a least 2 partitions, as without SP1/SP2, and
> 48-bit LBA hardware support, the largest partition you'll be able to make
> is
> 120/137GB, depending on whether you view the size as base 10 or base 2
> numbering system.

> --

> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com

>> I'm getting the same problem, but I'm only switching from a 40 GB Maxtor
>> a 160 GB WD. Could it be that I need to do a repair for that as well?
>> MK

>> > Phillip;
>> > You probably need to perform a Repair Installation to properly detect
> the
>> > new hardware:
>> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

>> > --
>> > Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
>> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> is

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Art » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:04:08

MK:
Your instinct is correct. If your objective is to simply clone the contents
of your old HD to a new HD using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's
Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image or the disk cloning utility available
from the manufacturer of your new HD, then a Repair install is unnecessary.
Art

> Thanks. The Bios is OK (according to Asus and what I can see) and it
> showed up fine when I just attached it as a slave. And I'll be
> partitioning anyway. What I don't understand is some people seem to be
> able to simply clone a drive without a repair install. Nothing else in the
> system is being changed.
> MK

>> Also in addition to having SP1/SP2 slipstreamed as "Yves" said, you'll
>> need
>> to make sure your BIOS/CMOS and I/O Controller both support 48-bit LBA -
>> if
>> not, you'll need to make a least 2 partitions, as without SP1/SP2, and
>> 48-bit LBA hardware support, the largest partition you'll be able to make
>> is
>> 120/137GB, depending on whether you view the size as base 10 or base 2
>> numbering system.

>> --

>> "Google is your Friend!"
>> www.google.com

>>> I'm getting the same problem, but I'm only switching from a 40 GB Maxtor
>>> a 160 GB WD. Could it be that I need to do a repair for that as well?
>>> MK

>> the

>> is

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by MK » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:37:31

What could be bringing up my errors in XP copy? I
have the log-on, can get into my WIN98 partition, but XP gives me  registry
failure: Stop 00000051, or can't load hive default_. My XP (SP2, all
up-to-date) setup runs great on the old HD, just running out of space.
MK

> MK:
> Your instinct is correct. If your objective is to simply clone the
> contents of your old HD to a new HD using a disk imaging program such as
> Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image or the disk cloning utility
> available from the manufacturer of your new HD, then a Repair install is
> unnecessary.
> Art

>> Thanks. The Bios is OK (according to Asus and what I can see) and it
>> showed up fine when I just attached it as a slave. And I'll be
>> partitioning anyway. What I don't understand is some people seem to be
>> able to simply clone a drive without a repair install. Nothing else in
>> the system is being changed.
>> MK

>>> Also in addition to having SP1/SP2 slipstreamed as "Yves" said, you'll
>>> need
>>> to make sure your BIOS/CMOS and I/O Controller both support 48-bit LBA -
>>> if
>>> not, you'll need to make a least 2 partitions, as without SP1/SP2, and
>>> 48-bit LBA hardware support, the largest partition you'll be able to
>>> make is
>>> 120/137GB, depending on whether you view the size as base 10 or base 2
>>> numbering system.

>>> --

>>> "Google is your Friend!"
>>> www.google.com

>>> ***********************************************

>>> the

>>> is

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by David Vai » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:33:52

Make sure after cloning that the old hard drive is not physically attached. Having both drives
attached can freak Windows out until it recognizes the new hardware (the drive) and sets it up in
Device manager.  My setup is similar with a 98 partition and XP on same drive.  I cloned whole drive
attached new drive as master, unhooked older drive and booted up. Only issue I had was geting Boot
record setup right as I use Boot Magic to do my booting, had to set the 98 as active and re-enable
BM to be Boot manager. After XP boots and find the new drive, you can then put older drive back in
and wipe it out to use as storage.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

Post by Timothy Daniel » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:15:37

> Thanks. The Bios is OK (according to Asus and what I can see) and it showed
> up fine when I just attached it as a slave. And I'll be partitioning anyway.
> What I don't understand is some people seem to be able to simply clone a
> drive without a repair install. Nothing else in the system is being changed.

    If you're just switching to a new HD and using it in the same PC as
    before, a simple cloning without a Repair installation will suffice.
    There are a few caveats in any cloning operation, though.  First,
    if the clone HD is to be bootable, it must have an MBR (Master
    Boot Record).  If the clone partition is to be bootable, it must be
    a "primary" partition.  If the clone partition is to be able to select
    the OS for loading, it must be "active".  Cloning utilities present
    these options in different ways.  Then, when the clone OS  is started
    up for the 1st time, it must not be able to see its "parent" OS.  Go
    back and see if all these requirements were met.

*TimDaniels*

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by MK » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:06:37

I did it all several times. One thing I noticed is that when I go to
Recovery Console and use FIXMBR it gives me "This computer appears to have a
non-standard or invalid MBR..." When I go ahead and fix anyway and reboot
and run FIXMBR again, it says the same thing. Don't know if this means
anything.
MK

>> Thanks. The Bios is OK (according to Asus and what I can see) and it
>> showed up fine when I just attached it as a slave. And I'll be
>> partitioning anyway. What I don't understand is some people seem to be
>> able to simply clone a drive without a repair install. Nothing else in
>> the system is being changed.

>    If you're just switching to a new HD and using it in the same PC as
>    before, a simple cloning without a Repair installation will suffice.
>    There are a few caveats in any cloning operation, though.  First,
>    if the clone HD is to be bootable, it must have an MBR (Master
>    Boot Record).  If the clone partition is to be bootable, it must be
>    a "primary" partition.  If the clone partition is to be able to select
>    the OS for loading, it must be "active".  Cloning utilities present
>    these options in different ways.  Then, when the clone OS  is started
>    up for the 1st time, it must not be able to see its "parent" OS.  Go
>    back and see if all these requirements were met.

> *TimDaniels*

Moving XP installation to new hardware

Post by Timothy Daniel » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:52:12

(When somebody bottom-posts in reply, please follow suite,
or the thread becomes impossible to follow.)

According to the Microsoft Knowledge Base, fixmbr doesn't
touch the partition table in the Master Boot Record.  Perhaps
the partitioning has to be re-done.

*TimDaniels*

>I did it all several times. One thing I noticed is that when I go to
> Recovery Console and use FIXMBR it gives me "This computer
> appears to have a non-standard or invalid MBR..." When I go
> ahead and fix anyway and reboot and run FIXMBR again, it says
> the same thing. Don't know if this means anything.
> MK

>>> Thanks. The Bios is OK (according to Asus and what I can see) and it
>>> showed up fine when I just attached it as a slave. And I'll be
>>> partitioning anyway. What I don't understand is some people seem to be
>>> able to simply clone a drive without a repair install. Nothing else in
>>> the system is being changed.

>>    If you're just switching to a new HD and using it in the same PC as
>>    before, a simple cloning without a Repair installation will suffice.
>>    There are a few caveats in any cloning operation, though.  First,
>>    if the clone HD is to be bootable, it must have an MBR (Master
>>    Boot Record).  If the clone partition is to be bootable, it must be
>>    a "primary" partition.  If the clone partition is to be able to select
>>    the OS for loading, it must be "active".  Cloning utilities present
>>    these options in different ways.  Then, when the clone OS  is started
>>    up for the 1st time, it must not be able to see its "parent" OS.  Go
>>    back and see if all these requirements were met.

1. Moving a Windows XP Installation after buying ALL new hardware

I have a LEGAL copy of OEM Windows XP Professional and I
just purchased all new hardware (motherboard, CPU, RAM,
Hard Disks, CD-RW).  What I want to know is this... I
know that I will have to re-activate Windows XP, but is
Microsoft going to tell me that this is a completely
different machine (which it will be) and then tell me to
go out and purchase another copy of Windows XP?  I am in
the MS OEM Systems Builders program and I have had this
happen before to a customer and do not want it to happen
to me.  Remember I said a LEGAL copy of Windows XP and
the original installation will be wiped clean and re-
installed with the new hardware.  Please advise, I do NOT
want to purchase another copy.

Michael Kinsel

2. Problems getting a IAMTVTuner interface

3. move xp installation to new and fully different hardware

4. crossplatform tcp/ip??

5. Moving a Windows XP Installation after buying ALL new hardware

6. 16bit Applications Run

7. How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware

8. Left mouse button/Enter key do not work anymore

9. moving a windows Xp installation to another hardware

10. Moving an XP Pro installation to a new hard drive

11. Move XP Pro installation to new hdd?

12. New Hardware Installation on Installed XP

13. XP New Hardware Installation